Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2003 9:29:21 AM EDT
A couple of years ago I inquired with the State Police about going into CT with an "AR" rifle to the Blue Trail range in Wallingford.  I live in New York State.  I was told that I would be violation if I did so.  Can anybody second this? You would think that if the CSP said so, case closed, but as many of you do doubt have learned, not all police officers are up on the minutae of all their state's gun laws. (Which is understandable as there are so many).  I really like that range and would like to shoot there, but obviously, not if I'm risking a felony violation.  I believe CT residents are "grandfathered", but us out of state'rs may be SOL--?  Anybody know for sure?
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 7:03:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you mean a pre-ban or post ban? I bought my AR lower in CT and brought it back to NY no problems, didn't see anything about it being illegal.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 5:34:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure what you mean by "grandfathered", in CT we can buy any postban right off the shelf, and any preban as long as it's not "Colt AR15 or Colt Sporter (SP1)".
As long as it's not a Colt preban why would it be illegal to bring in a "legal" rifle???

Link Posted: 10/14/2003 2:59:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, as luck would have it, I have a Colt SP (pre-ban).  So I'm effectively banned from bringing into CT?
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 5:10:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Well, as luck would have it, I have a Colt SP (pre-ban).  So I'm effectively banned from bringing into CT?

unfortunately, yes. I wouldn't risk it, get a postban and come shoot it here. Here in CT, if you didn't register your colt ar15 or sp1 marked rifle by a certain date, it is contraband for CT residents.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 6:30:07 PM EDT
[#5]
cduarte: Yes, that was the gist of what the CSP told me.  Actually at that time (3-4 years ago) I had an AR-180.  On the CSP website at that time the '180 was the first gun on the list of those proscribed as banned by the state's AWB, as it was listed alphabetically ('Armalite'). The officer on the phone asked if I wanted to be sent a registration form.  I declined.  Already have all my handguns registered here in NY--wasn't about to voluntarily register one of my rifles.
Anyway,  you say it would be a violation "for CT residents".  Would it be a violation of someone "visiting" from out of state?
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 5:11:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess if you'd registered your rifles in CT at the time, you would be ok, but I wouldn't want to risk confiscation though, since you can't register them today. Why risk it, don't you have any place to shoot in NY? Or buy a post ban rifle or a non-colt preban if you plan to shoot in CT.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 10:06:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Fudgie;  I will confirm what has been stated here.  I sent an email to the DPS about this earlier this year and got the following response:

The Connecticut Assault Weapon ban prohibits the transport of assault weapons into this state for the purpose you described. The ban only provides limited exceptions for licensed dealers and manufacturers to import these firearms into the state for sale to the military and law enforcement agencies. Limited exceptions are also provided for Connecticut residents who own a registered assault weapon to travel outside the state to participate in a competition and then return to Connecticut with the registered firearm. No provision exists for non-residents to enter the state with these firearms. Refer to C.G.S. 53-22a through 53-202j.

Sent: Sgt Osika

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 11:36 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Assault Weapons question

To whom it may concern;

I have a question regarding non-residents and
transporting assault weapons into CT.

Can a non-Connecticut resident transport an assault weapon, as defined by Section 53-202a of the Connecticut General Statutes, into the state, temporarily, for the purpose of target shooting and recreation?

I have been unable to find a statute which expressly permits or denies an non-resident from doing this.

Thanks in advance;

Link Posted: 10/18/2003 8:08:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Racer: thanks for your post.  That pretty much agrees with what I remember being told a couple of years ago.

Ain't gun laws grand?  

CT will issue me a full (or almost full) carry permit for pistols, while I can't bring in my NYS legal AR to a range in CT.  Here in NY, I cannot technially carry those same handguns except to and from hunting or a range.

As has so often been said, "WTF!"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top