Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2003 2:40:44 PM EDT
Any of you have the new toy Thanks for reminding me Emoto!  What do ya think ? Hows it shoot? Questions Questions???????????????????? PG
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I like to believe I was the first person in Mass to have the SW1911.  Bought it from out of state dealer a couple of months before it was officially approved, and had it shipped to the indoor range I belong to (they also have a FFL).  It lived at the range for a couple of months. Every week or two I'd go visit it and put a hundred rounds through it.  Once it was approved for sale, we did a transfer and I got to take it home.  

I've had the gun for 8-9 months now and really like it.  Very well put together.  Absolutely reliable.  Never had a FTF or FTE.  Great sites.  More accurate than my SIG.  Only things I don't like about it is trigger is a little heavy and checkering on grip is a little sharp.

Not sure where you live, but if its MA you also may have to wait a while to purchase.  Put my name on the waiting list at Four Seasons back in January or February and then forgot about it after I purchase gun out of state.  Got a call a couple of days ago from Four Seasons to tell me they just got a couple of more in and "You're next on the list".  Guy didn't seem too upset when I told him I'd already bought one.  I had the feeling there were a ton of people behind me ready to spend their money.

Finally, if you're interested in reading a couple of more "unbiased" owners reviews, you might try going to www.1911forum.com.  They have more information about every possible model than anywhere else.

Link Posted: 9/21/2003 12:27:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I heard that depending on the batch that you buy from the trigger can vary from 6.5lbs to 4.0lbs.  Everyone seems to love this gun.  The only question most people have is what took S&W so long to get into the 1911 market?  Just my .02 and enjoy whether you get one or not.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 9:02:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Wish I could remember reminding you, propguy, but you're welcome anyway!

www.smith-wessonforum.com is another good place to read about it. The designer (JRD are his initials and appear in every SW1911 serial number) reads and posts in both this one and 1911forum.com, so you can get soem good semi-inside info that way. He gives away no secrets, but you can be pretty confident about what he says. Seems like a nice guy too.

Mine shoots well, and I only have the occasional FTF if I let it get real dirty (in fairness, it does not have enough rounds through it yet, to think of using it as a carry gun). I am expecting that to go away when I get it back. Back? Yes, back from S&W. There is a recall out for the plunger in the slide. I dropped mine off at the factory yesterday for the recall work. They will do what is needed, plus check it all over. Should have it back in a small number of days.

Recall info: www.smith-wesson.com/CatalogManual/sw1911recall.htm
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 12:36:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Two of my friends own them. Saw my first one at the Winter Championship IDPA at S&W back in Feb. They are nice pieces of work. and shoot well. I'm starting to warm up to the external extractor.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 6:16:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Two of my friends own them. Saw my first one at the Winter Championship IDPA at S&W back in Feb. They are nice pieces of work. and shoot well. I'm starting to warm up to the external extractor.

I think the externzal extractor needs less tweeking and attention than the regular one...
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 6:01:29 AM EDT
[#6]
True, however, I'm still a little old fashion in that regards.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 12:57:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Sadly, I cannot buy a new 1911 in MA without an external extractor, so I will not find out if I like them unless I buy used.

The used prices for what you cannot buy new here are predictably high, so I'm not going to pick on up any time soon.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 12:36:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Now that is really sad!
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#9]
No kidding! That's why I was so psyched that S&W decided to make a 1911 and have it certified for Mass. Almost all of the rest of the manufacturers have forsaken us here, but S&W spends the $$$ and goes through the hassle so they can sell product here. S&W has my loyalty at this point, regardless of what the old foreign owners did.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top