Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2003 4:34:22 PM EDT
Since it seems that all the AK-47 variants are now 'banned' in CT (see below), does anyone know if AK-74s are still available in CT?  I'm not really interested in buying one, but I 'm considering one as my next build project.

Thanks!

=============================

http://www.gunsafe.org/ak-47.htm

With funding from Coalition of Connecticut Sportsmen, a lawsuit has been filed against the Connecticut Department of Public Safety (DPS) over its latest "interpretation" of certain terms in the statutory "assault weapons" ban.

The plaintiffs are two firearms owners and a dealer, Frank D'Andrea of D'Andrea's Gun Case (Stratford). They are represented by Ralph D. Sherman and Andrew J. Buzzi Jr., chairman and vice chairman of Gunsafe.

The ban is contained in Connecticut General Statutes §53-202a, which lists certain firearms by make and model. Three items in the list are not specific, however; they are "Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type," "MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type," and "Auto-Ordnance Thompson type."

For eight years, from the time the ban was made law, DPS informed dealers and gun owners that if a firearm did not bear the legend, "AK-47," then it was not banned. DPS made similar statements about the other two "types" banned by the statute.

But in 2002, DPS changed its position and started issuing letters and fliers stating that "AK-47 type" includes thousands of guns that were sold after the ban - with DPS approval. According to one flier, an "AK-47 type" is any firearm that uses the same ammunition, the same interchangeable parts, and the same operating system as an AK-47.

This action by DPS suddenly turned thousands of previously "legal" guns into "banned" guns that must be registered, surrendered, or made permanently inoperable.

"In fact what DPS calls 'policy' or 'interpretation' amounts to regulations - phony regulations," according to Atty. Sherman. "These are regulations that have been adopted by DPS without following the correct procedure for enacting regulations - publication, public hearings, review by the legislature, and so on."

The lawsuit, entitled Patten v. Spada, Docket No. CV-03-0090209-S, was filed April 17, 2003. In it, the plaintiffs ask the Superior Court to declare that DPS "policy" on the three "type" firearms is void because DPS has in fact enacted regulations improperly.

"Our law is quite clear that any time an administrative agency makes up rules, rules that apply to persons who have routine business with the agency, these rules are considered to be regulations," Sherman said. "We are simply asking the court to recognize that the DPS rules are regulations that must be voided."

The lawsuit also asks the court to order the destruction of any registry or database created by DPS pursuant to its illegal policy.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#1]
This may sound stupid.
I BELIEVE that they're OK as long as they are any caliber EXCEPT 7.62x39, a .223 should be alright.
Ask a friendly FFL for more info!
(let me know if you don't know any)

Link Posted: 8/11/2003 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
This may sound stupid.
I BELIEVE that they're OK as long as they are any caliber EXCEPT 7.62x39, a .223 should be alright.
Ask a friendly FFL for more info!
(let me know if you don't know any)

I was thinking the same thing, but I'm curious if anyone had run across this yet.  The ruling seemed very open ended.

I have a neighbor that is a FFL, so I will probably ask him.  I'm torn betwen building a AK-74 (I would prefer the AK-47 in 7.62) from an 80% receiver or a Model 1919 semi-auto using an 80% receiver.  The AK would be much cheaper, though not nearly as cool.

I will let you know what I find out.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 7:10:40 PM EDT
[#3]
The AK-74 is not on the "List"

www.state.ct.us/dps/SLFU/FirearmsAssaultWeaponsList.htm

Department of Public Safety
Division of State Police
Special License and Firearms Unit

Firearms-Assault Weapons List

Algimec Agmi
Armalite AR-180
Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol
Auto-Ordnance Thompson type
Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type
Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1
Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol
Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P
Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88
Colt AR-15 and Sporter
Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2
Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45
Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC
FAMAS MAS 223
Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT
Federal XC-900 and XC-450
Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12
Galil AR and ARM
Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol
Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89
Holmes MP-83
MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type
Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion
Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000
Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only
Scarab Skorpion
SIG 57 AMT and 500 series
Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol
Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3
Sterling MK-6 and MK-7
Steyr AUG
Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns
USAS-12; UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol
Weaver Arms Nighthawk
Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol

or

A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a
firearm into an assault weapon, or any combination of parts from
which an assault weapon may be rapidly assembed if those parts
are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

Link Posted: 8/12/2003 3:58:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The AK-74 is not on the "List"

According to a new ruling in CT "... an "AK-47 type" is any firearm that uses the same ammunition, the same interchangeable parts, and the same operating system as an AK-47."  How close does the AK-74 meet those requirements?  
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 4:22:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Valley Firearms in Shelton is (or was the last time I was down there a couple of months ago) selling ak based rifles in calibers other than 7.62x39, the other FFLs I've talked to don't want to deal with it. I think the guys in Shelton are looking to do battle with the state, or they're just stupid. The ban is a real pile of senseless crap, but I doubt it'll ever go away.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 6:28:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Gents, a few months back there was a thread on the AK-47.net forum were a CT resident contacted the Dept of Public safety and got a letter from them stating Ak type weapons are banned in 7.62 only. Thus he was able to legally purchase a SAR-2. I don't remember his name but he was from the eastern part of CT. By the way where in CT are you guys from? I'm in Newtown. BobK
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 9:37:01 PM EDT
[#7]
They're legal.  

Call Newington Gun Exchange and get one while they're still in stock.  I bought 2 AK74-SAR2s a month ago.

Edit: I wish I had gotten a SAR-1 before this ruling.  The ammo is so much cheaper, and so much more badass.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 1:41:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I got my SAR 2 at Newington Gun Exchange about a month ago. Make sure to get a copy of the SLFU letter they got from the State Police, for legality issues that may arise.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 5:14:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info!  What was the price for the AK74-SAR2s at Newington Gun Exchange?

BTW I'm from the Hartford area.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 10:55:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info!  What was the price for the AK74-SAR2s at Newington Gun Exchange?

BTW I'm from the Hartford area.

Last time I was there they were like $379.  Comes with a real nice sling, buttstock cleaning kit, 1 10rdmag, 1 30rdmag.  

A case (960rds) of FMJ5.45 was $120.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 1:18:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Newington Gun Exchange is out, I called them on friday. I went to Valley Firearms this morning and bought the last one they had. It came as described at Newington with a 10 and a 30rd mag, sling, cleaning kit, chamber empty indicator and a target (I expect it was 100m). The price was $380 and I did get a copy of the letter. BTW, how do you open the cleaning kit? I got it open, it was stuck with some kind of goo.

here it is though. I'm planning on getting a ak74 brake and threading the barrel and silver soldering it on to complete the look.

fyi, I'm in Windsor and shoot at the East Windsor Sportsmans Club, you're all welcome to come shooting with me there.

Link Posted: 8/24/2003 8:45:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice pic, nice carpet!
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 8:52:53 AM EDT
[#13]
WOW, thats a nice looking SAR-2......Maybe I should be getting one, or an SAR-3.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 8:13:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Looks like ya got a nice one.  According to NGX supposedly the SAR-2s are just about dried up as Century isn't importing them anymore.  Anyone who finds one should definately pick it up, as I've already seen the price jump considerably.  

The 5.45 Ammo is real fun to shoot too.

Quoted:
fyi, I'm in Windsor and shoot at the East Windsor Sportsmans Club, you're all welcome to come shooting with me there.

Thats funny, I have an application sitting on my desk for there.  Is it a nice place?

Link Posted: 8/25/2003 12:10:28 PM EDT
[#15]
The East Windsor Sportsmans Club is a great place to shoot, and we can always use more shooters there. There's a great # of members who come to shoot maybe once a year, so the range isn't always crowded. There's regular bullseye, small-bore, and high-power shoots, along with monthly steel plate shoots. Trap is every tuesday morning at 10am, I'm working to get an afternoon or weekend trap session. There's also periodic fun shoots for rifle, pistol and shotgun. I've met some really good people here.

If you didn't know, we have 100-200 yd rifle, trap and 50 yd pistol ranges. The pistol range is being totally rebuilt this winter and should be really nice when it's done.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 12:14:13 PM EDT
[#16]
stopped in at Newington Gun Exchange after work today and bought three unopened 960 rd cases of 5.45x39 for $317.21 including tax! That's as cheap as online, but without the shipping. All they had left was one opened case with a few boxes missing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 4:14:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Sweet gun!

BTW, The gun does go very nice with the carpet :)
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 7:07:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Sweet gun!

BTW, The gun does go very nice with the carpet :)

hey thanks everyone, that carpet is nice for rifle pics, here's another...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top