Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2003 2:11:17 PM EDT
I can't believe this!  What a landmark.  Whenever I would take people hiking on the Franconia notch trail (a beautiful 7 hour loop with waterfalls in the spring) I would end the hike by driving a few minutes north to let them view the old man of the mountain.  

I can't believe this.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Northeast/05/03/old.man.mountian.ap/index.html
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 2:14:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 2:34:03 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a damn shame.

You guys think we ought to write it off as the will of God, or rebuild it?
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#3]
That totally sucks ... my brother was just telling me about that.  I'm glad I was able to bring my girlfriend up there last fall, she had never seen it.

I definitely think it should be reconstructed somehow ... perhaps a nice matte alloy

Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:08:12 PM EDT
[#4]

"Men hang out their signs indicative of
their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster
watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."

I do hope something can be done to replace oe remember it. Hard to do though with a crumbling old mountain. Sigh.

S-I
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:35:43 PM EDT
[#5]
My neighbor told me about this today when I got home from work, and for a brief moment, I thought he was BS'ing me.

Damn that sucks.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:55:23 PM EDT
[#6]
WOW!! That is really too bad. It was a great landmark.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:06:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I heard... very sad news.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 12:50:47 AM EDT
[#8]
dammit, that really sucks.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:06:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Glad I saw it before it was gone.

IIRC, there has been a father/son team caring for it, making concrete repairs and such for quite a long time. I guess it couldn't be helped...
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:22:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Any Northerner can appreciate what a cool site that was.  That's too bad.  It was a pretty cool landmark...the kind you tell your kids about when driving through the white mountains on vacation.

That's how I first learned about it.

I guess all the epoxy and cables they used weren't enough to keep the granite suspended.  It would have fallen awhile ago if they did intervene then.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 9:28:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Fly fishing in Profile Lake will never be the same. Glad I got to fish there with the old man watching my back.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 4:03:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I went to school in NH and have seen the Old Man in person many, many times.  This is truly a sad day for all who have seen this  geological wonder.  RIP old man!
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:07:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm saddened
I wonder if it was a terrorist act?
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:41:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm moving North into New Hampshire in a month or so.  I just got off the phone with our realtor right now.  It's a shame that the State lost one of it's great monuments.

The governor has already vowed to restore the profile, that's good news, though some of the meaning of Webster's quote will be lost since it will be the hands of men and women that restore the profile.

I've done a lot of hiking in those mountains over the years, and that profile has always welcomed me into the mountains.  My wife and I took our two kids up into the Whites last Fall for vacation and we saw the Old Man.  I'm glad we made a point of doing that.

Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:28:09 PM EDT
[#15]
My wife and I were shocked to hear about this. The Old Man symbolized the heart and soul of our state.  I hope its not a sign of things to come, like Ted Kennedy moving to and getting elected in NH or something awful like that.

We've needed to drive through the notch a fair amount in the last month or so and have gotten to see the Old Man quite a bit. I even stopped and took pictures of him 2 weeks ago, just like a tourist!

We drove through on Sunday. The viewing area was mobbed. It was weird to look up and not see the old bugger.The Notch will never be the same again.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 3:05:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
My wife and I were shocked to hear about this. The Old Man symbolized the heart and soul of our state.  I hope its not a sign of things to come, like Ted Kennedy moving to and getting elected in NH or something awful like that.....

I hear diane Feinstein and H. clinton are moving there with Teddy., a sort of sick "menage de tois" (sp). After gun legislation they will go for an income tax, and a closing of the state liquor store on the Interstate!  
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 1:41:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I hear diane Feinstein and H. clinton are moving there with Teddy., a sort of sick "menage de tois" (sp). After gun legislation they will go for an income tax, and a closing of the state liquor store on the Interstate!  

Hell, why not ... the first American Revolution didn't start far from here ... history has a funny way of repeating itself
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top