Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2022 5:01:49 PM EDT
We are probably going to buy some land in Oklahoma in the near future. My question is, how much do I need to own to be able to shoot in my own property? Where I grew up, it didn't really matter if you lived outside the city limits but that was 20+ years ago. The places where I'm looking are pretty rural and, beyond shooting, it will mostly be for camping and other similar recreational activities, and will be around 10 acres but I have found some that are a little smaller that have everything I'm looking for. Also, are there any tax breaks, like conservation areas or such, for owning undeveloped land in Oklahoma? Thanks for any help.

Link Posted: 3/15/2022 9:31:03 AM EDT
[#1]
There’s the homestead program. As for shooting a rifle a long ten acres would do if no houses are built in direct line of your range. My neighbor was suited for just that with a pond bank berm. A good back stop with a 100’ of timber would be my suggestion. I had a incident with my neighbors piling up my chickens the deputy gave them the option of charges plus me filling a lawsuit or helping pick up my birds. After picking up 700 five pound bird’s they don’t shoot when I have big birds. To tell the truth it helps when they do shoot when the birds are small to get them used to loud noises. Talking with your neighbors goes a long way. In Leflore county we have two decent 100 yard ranges and a really nice one at Clayton.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 10:54:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There’s the homestead program. As for shooting a rifle a long ten acres would do if no houses are built in direct line of your range. My neighbor was suited for just that with a pond bank berm. A good back stop with a 100’ of timber would be my suggestion. I had a incident with my neighbors piling up my chickens the deputy gave them the option of charges plus me filling a lawsuit or helping pick up my birds. After picking up 700 five pound bird’s they don’t shoot when I have big birds. To tell the truth it helps when they do shoot when the birds are small to get them used to loud noises. Talking with your neighbors goes a long way. In Leflore county we have two decent 100 yard ranges and a really nice one at Clayton.
View Quote

Good to know. The place I'm looking at looks considerably longer than it is wide with a house on one side but nothing within miles on the long side. So hopefully no issues with anything like your incident. I'm definitely a proponent of talking to your neighbors. In fact, there are two tracts side by side and I'm mentioning it an Arfcom buddy in case he might want the other one. That would take care of half of the equation.

A grew up in Sequoyah County and I remember when one of us would start shooting the neighbors would start to and we would see who could keep it up the longest before running out of ammo, lol. I have family in LeFlore county with several hundred acres. If it was close enough I wouldn't even be thinking of buying my own land.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 12:50:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Good to know. The place I'm looking at looks considerably longer than it is wide with a house on one side but nothing within miles on the long side. So hopefully no issues with anything like your incident. I'm definitely a proponent of talking to your neighbors. In fact, there are two tracts side by side and I'm mentioning it an Arfcom buddy in case he might want the other one. That would take care of half of the equation.

A grew up in Sequoyah County and I remember when one of us would start shooting the neighbors would start to and we would see who could keep it up the longest before running out of ammo, lol. I have family in LeFlore county with several hundred acres. If it was close enough I wouldn't even be thinking of buying my own land.
View Quote

Yeah Things have changed. And if you can get a buddy to buy the adjoining tract that would help. My incident actually worked out in the long run until someone bought the tract south of my neighbor and moved into the abandoned house that was right in line with my neighbors range on five acres. Other chance is to buy some uninhabited mountain land and clear a range?
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 2:58:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yeah Things have changed. And if you can get a buddy to buy the adjoining tract that would help. My incident actually worked out in the long run until someone bought the tract south of my neighbor and moved into the abandoned house that was right in line with my neighbors range on five acres. Other chance is to buy some uninhabited mountain land and clear a range?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really wish I could get some mountain land. Unfortunately, the part of Oklahoma that is close enough to be useable for me is the flat part. I'll have to settle for wooded.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top