Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/9/2021 9:51:00 PM EDT
Hey gang, got a CVA mountain stalker from a friend who passed a while back, 26" barrel traditional but the bore is stupid corroded... like, not even Dan (those of you who remember him) could bring it back to life. Everywhere I've looked, replacement barrels are sold out/non existent so it got me thinking...

Anyone know a 'Smith that can reem a ML barrel and make it smoothbore? I think the breach plug might be good and stuck but I haven't tried to remove it beyond a pair of channel locks and a Cresent wrench. I'd give it a go myself but I don't have a lathe... or the knowledge... or the set up... or anything like that for that matter.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 10:11:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you checked Green Mountain?

Link Posted: 11/10/2021 7:45:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I think you would be cheaper to get a new muzzle loader unless it just has sentimental value. Green Mountain was my bet but there’s still some muzzle loader smith’s on YouTube back East. CVA has always been a cheap brand.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 12:27:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree that it’ll likely be cheaper to buy a new one than to replace the barrel.

CVA has MLs from the inexpensive to quite expensive. They used to be the “cheap” muzzleloader. I wouldn’t call them that any more. The models with Bergara barrels shoot very well indeed.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Just looked at them... maybe it would be better to just make it a wall hanger and get a cheap beater. I have an inline already but it won't shoot RB for crap cause it's a 1/28 twist, sabots are good though.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 6:23:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I have used the round ball sabots before in my in-line muzzle loader. JES rebores up to.45 rifle but I don’t know about muzzle loader. They rebore and rechambered a .30/30 to .356win for me. JES
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just looked at them... maybe it would be better to just make it a wall hanger and get a cheap beater. I have an inline already but it won't shoot RB for crap cause it's a 1/28 twist, sabots are good though.
View Quote

That’s exactly what I did with my Cabela’s sporterized Hawken 50. It shot well enough at 50 but wouldn’t even pattern beyond that. Buy yourself some brass wall hooks and hang it up, then see if you can pick up a new one on clearance somewhere or  on a Black Friday deal.
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 9:50:03 AM EDT
[#7]
If you’re wanting a round ball shooter I think CVA still makes their kit guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top