Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2021 7:53:06 AM EDT
https://ktul.com/news/local/federal-authorities-work-to-crack-down-on-ghost-guns

TULSA, Okla. (KTUL) — Federal authorities are working to crack down on what they call "ghost guns."

“If you feel like you have the confidence of not being traced, what would you do with it,” said Sarah Cope at United States Shooting Academy.

According to Cope, a "ghost gun" is simply a gun without a serial number.

“It tracks from person to person. It’s a way to track a gun to place or a person,” said Cope.

The problem now comes when people build their own guns.

People are legally allowed to purchase 80% lowers, which is the part that holds the firing mechanism.

Employees at the shooting academy say any completed gun is required to have a serial number, and if it's coming from a licensed dealer, the person purchasing the gun must undergo a background check.

Although most big manufacturers have serial numbers on their parts for quality control, the USSA employees say the danger with ghost guns is that most of them are bought online.

That means if they are used in a crime it makes it harder for police to solve an investigation.

“How can you trace the gun to a person or an event or a place or where it was made. You can't. Say they recover a gun from a crime scene, they take the gun, find the serial number and at least have a clue on where this gun came from,” said Cope.

According to the laws here in Oklahoma, ghost guns are legal to own and possess and are not prohibited weapons.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 8:17:19 AM EDT
[#1]
How hard would it be for an average joe (me) to build an 80% Glock lower? I do my own scope mounting, AR lower assembling and disassembly/reassembly of my C&R long guns (to remove cosmoline). I’d hate to make a mistake while drilling and ruin a perfectly good 80% lower. I would then just buy a complete upper on GB. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 12:45:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How hard would it be for an average joe (me) to build an 80% Glock lower? I do my own scope mounting, AR lower assembling and disassembly/reassembly of my C&R long guns (to remove cosmoline). I’d hate to make a mistake while drilling and ruin a perfectly good 80% lower. I would then just buy a complete upper on GB. Thanks.
View Quote

Pretty sure you now are a team member look in the team forum for an 80% thread.  It was moved because pantyfa would come here for that info.

I have no problem with 80% lowers.  But my thinking is if you buy them online or with a credit card the glowies will know anyways.  Might as well buy a regular lower on a 4473.  

That said 80’s can be cool if you want to make some type of custom lower roll marks or serial numbers.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 1:34:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
https://ktul.com/news/local/federal-authorities-work-to-crack-down-on-ghost-guns

TULSA, Okla. (KTUL) — Federal authorities are working to crack down on what they call "ghost guns."

“If you feel like you have the confidence of not being traced, what would you do with it,” said Sarah Cope at United States Shooting Academy.

“It tracks from person to person. It’s a way to track a gun to place or a person,” said Cope.

People are legally allowed to purchase 80% lowers, which is the part that holds the firing mechanism.

Employees at the shooting academy say any completed gun is required to have a serial number, and if it's coming from a licensed dealer, the person purchasing the gun must undergo a background check.

Although most big manufacturers have serial numbers on their parts for quality control, the USSA employees say the danger with ghost guns is that most of them are bought online.

That means if they are used in a crime it makes it harder for police to solve an investigation.

“How can you trace the gun to a person or an event or a place or where it was made. You can't. Say they recover a gun from a crime scene, they take the gun, find the serial number and at least have a clue on where this gun came from,” said Cope.

According to the laws here in Oklahoma, ghost guns are legal to own and possess and are not prohibited weapons.
View Quote

These people are so stupid it hurts,almost all of their comments are wrong.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 1:42:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Pretty sure you now are a team member look in the team forum for an 80% thread.  It was moved because pantyfa would come here for that info.

I have no problem with 80% lowers.  But my thinking is if you buy them online or with a credit card the glowies will know anyways.  Might as well buy a regular lower on a 4473.  

That said 80’s can be cool if you want to make some type of custom lower roll marks or serial numbers.
View Quote

Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 10:40:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Aren’t these the same assclowns that were whining about open carry and permitless carry? F ‘em.

Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 4:40:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I wold love to see the stats a 4473'ed owner of a firearm left at a crime scene admitting it was his and hadn't sold it when questioned by LE.
Tracking a  serial number from the Manufacturer to the Distributor to the LGS to the original owner only gets you as far as the first "I sold  it, forget/don't know the buyers name".
Screech, dead stop, serial number clue worthless.
But hey, Columbo's gotta Columbo.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 12:39:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Guess I'm not going to that range any more. Sucks too because they have a decent set up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top