Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2014 6:56:56 PM EDT
Taking my 3gun rifle loaded with 62 grain Barnes TSX over Varget. Getting 2575fps out of my 18" barrel with 1" 5 shot group at 100.

Any words of wisdom or advice?

Thanks,

Brian
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a lot of info to go on there.  I'm assuming you bought one of those paid hunt things, in which case as long as you picked a reputable service and have a fat wallet you'll be just fine.  If you have access to private property that has hogs you'll be just fine.  If you are planning on hunting public land you should probably save yourself the time, money and frustration by staying home.

Bring good quality rubber gloves (nitrile) and use them any time you are handling the hog. That's the big one.

Anything in particular you want to know?  Full disclosure, I'm not a hog hunter, I'd love to hunt hogs but even folks that live here have little to no access to hunting land unless they have it in the family.  I've wanted to hunt hogs for years but the only opportunity is public land which there isn't a lot of and not exactly overrun with hogs so it's a crap shoot.  If you are planning on hunting public land, read the OK state regs really well.  You'll have to follow all the regulations required for deer since it's whitetail season.  So, even if you are only hunting hogs you have to wear orange, use only methods legal for deer and purchase a deer tag and out of state hunting license.  On private property the requirements change.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:11:54 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are shooting them for meat, forget about it. They are on acorns, carrion, etc and not greens. It will be bad.
Dump carcasses in gullies or ditches and not in pastures or cultivated ground. The carcasses tear up the farmer's equipment.
Hit them behind the jowls in quartering away shots and they will be DRT.
Shoot high behind the shoulders and it will turn off the drive motors to the front legs most of the time.
Kill 'em all.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:20:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 1:27:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I know it's different down in far south Oklahoma, near the Texas line where we walked out on public land and the hog sign was everywhere but even then, we didn't see a single one and since we weren't local we weren't able to spend day after day searching for them.  Folks are swamped with them on private land down there but it's the same deal as here, if they aren't friends or family, you have zero chance of getting access.  It's one of those "can't win" scenarios.

If I win the lottery, assuming I can someday afford to buy lottery tickets lol, I'll buy a section of hunting land and let you hunt Wingie.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 1:59:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are shooting them for meat, forget about it. They are on acorns, carrion, etc and not greens. It will be bad.
View Quote

I respectfully disagree. While they do taste better if shot in spring/summer, they make great sausage year round and for pulled pork BBQ sandwiches, it doesn't seem to matter what time of year they're taken.

I have 2 in the freezer right now. One is breakfast sausage, the other is Italian sausage. The next one will be simple ground pork. Of course I leave the roasts whole and give them to my inlaws to slow roast.

No advice but best of luck to you! Where will you be hunting?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:46:40 AM EDT
[#6]
looks to have been a few days,and no update from OP?

anyhoo,just to let everyone here know,across the river from me the piggies are getting a nice population going now.

there is a public hunting area now that has them, bow only though,so things are starting to brighten up for us who like to hunt piggies.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:54:17 PM EDT
[#7]
The public land down here is great early, but know deer season and the Duck hunters have them spooked. Our public land gets good around march. The Game Department took 200 off the public lands down here and are begging people to hunt them. The local Biologist said they did $20,000.00 in damages to the duck area on Coal creek. But we have a lot of public lands down here in Eastern Ok. There was a picture on the GD Facebook page of a #400 hog taken on the Honobia area which is a pay area. But it is not expensive for residents for the pass. As far as your set up goes keep your shots within 200 yards and you will be alright. If you kill one that stinks it will smell just like it when you cook it. If it has been on corn it might be all right. I killed a fat sow last year that was on our corn feeder and the pork was better than some store bought pork. But it was cold enough I let her hang for a couple days. The Honobia Creek and Three rivers area is really coming up for public land. Pushmataha co. is really shinning for deer. There is less deer hunters now than there used to be. Only problem is you cannot bait them on public land. If some white oak acorns were to magically appear that would draw them Good Luck!
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#8]
my advice is to bring something bigger unless you want to practice on running hogs
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:50:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Shall I say the thing that cannot be said?

I live here and I can't find a place to hog hunt...of course I'm retired on Social Security so I can't afford to buy a hog hunt, I need a free place, and free places don't seem to exist.  
View Quote

I own 170 acres near Honobia wilderness area I would consider letting the right people hunt, camp and shoot. It also has a 300 yard rifle range on it and trails, electric and water. I have a very unique opportunity for the right person.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 5:30:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I own 170 acres near Honobia wilderness area I would consider letting the right people hunt, camp and shoot. It also has a 300 yard rifle range on it and trails, electric and water. I have a very unique opportunity for the right person.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live here and I can't find a place to hog hunt...of course I'm retired on Social Security so I can't afford to buy a hog hunt, I need a free place, and free places don't seem to exist.  

Wow, that sounds like an amazing place, I drove through there years ago, it was beautiful.  Hopefully, you can help some folks out.  I'd love to hunt there myself but my medical issues make traveling more than an hour all but impossible.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 12:44:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 2:29:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
From what I hear the bigfoots (bigfeet?) ate all the hogs around Honobia.
View Quote

Bigfoot Field Research Organization report

Tom Selleck's cousins from there also.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 3:02:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I ain't afraid of no bigfeets!
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 9:50:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I ain't afraid of no bigfeets!
View Quote

I haven't seen any Big foots yet. I do see bear,deer, hogs and the occasional elk.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Wow, that sounds like an amazing place, I drove through there years ago, it was beautiful.  Hopefully, you can help some folks out.  I'd love to hunt there myself but my medical issues make traveling more than an hour all but impossible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would like to find the right person to live there full time. I would let them live there rent free in exchange for keeping an eye on things. It would be a great opportunity for some one who always wanted to live in the country on a large tract of land but couldn't afford it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 5:31:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I would like to find the right person to live there full time. I would let them live there rent free in exchange for keeping an eye on things. It would be a great opportunity for some one who always wanted to live in the country on a large tract of land but couldn't afford it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dang, I'd be all over that deal if I could.  My dream life is riding the fence line and making trespassers and poachers as unhappy as possible lol.  Surely someone will take you up, although it's probably not that easy to find someone with the same strange idea of fun as I have.  I think it's a side effect of being a former LEO, I always thought I would have enjoyed it even more back when horses were the standard form of transportation.  My sixgun on my hip, a saddle holster to hold a spare pistol and my Winchester in one scabbard and my Sharps carbine on the other side...what could be better
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:45:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Looking for an open weekend to head up there with some friends (from Dallas) and hunt on family land. Area is around Carnegie, OK - but not sure how much activity there is around that way. We shall find out I guess.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 1:06:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Looking for an open weekend to head up there with some friends (from Dallas) and hunt on family land. Area is around Carnegie, OK - but not sure how much activity there is around that way. We shall find out I guess.
View Quote

There are lots of hogs in Caddo County! I've killed quite a few down there a couple of years ago. We were hunting every week end for a couple of months.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 7:03:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good luck!! May the pork be with you!
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 8:00:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 10:42:26 PM EDT
[#22]
This weeks kills!

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:51:33 PM EDT
[#23]
nice....

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:59:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

one of my best friends is one of the guys that report is writing about.
its no joke.

that's not the real story of it all.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:34:26 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

its no joke.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

its no joke.

I`m sure it isn`t the real story,I`ll just have nocomment on bfro people...

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 12:11:31 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

tell me about that barrel on the mini?
View All Quotes

Accuracy systems with a custom rail that I did later with a leupold mark 2 3X9. I let my daughter have the 24" AR to cover their escape route and I leave the Mini over at my Moms so I don't have to run over to my house. She likes it and will use it she has not warmed up to the Ar's.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:35:38 PM EDT
[#30]
All they gotta do is fund me and I'll go sit in the big foot woods and when one of these many bigfeets comes by to say "grrrrr", I'll bonk him on the melon and call for extraction.  I'm going to need about $30k for an adequate offroad capable vehicle with sleeping/cooking/TV with satellite, a case of .50 Beowulf ammo and gift certificate to Build-A-Bear.  Those few things and I'll bring them all the bigfeets that actually exist in Oklahoma
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:34:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Accuracy systems with a custom rail that I did later with a leupold mark 2 3X9. I let my daughter have the 24" AR to cover their escape route and I leave the Mini over at my Moms so I don't have to run over to my house. She likes it and will use it she has not warmed up to the Ar's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

was it worth the money on the barrel and did it make it a shooter?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:04:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have Killed over 200 hundred coyotes with it and just under 500 pigs. And yes it shoots! So I look at it this way 2 calves at 400 pounds are worth a thousand dollars. I think it paid for itself. I have called two head shots at just over 400 yards with my wife as a witness. And most of all My mom keeps it for her home defense weapon along with a 20 Gauge shotgun, I'd spend the money again.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 6:17:50 PM EDT
[#33]
I've wanted a Mini since the first episode of the A Team lol, they are beautiful rifles in my opinion.  The crappy accuracy kept me from buying one all these years but if there's a way to make the accuracy equal with other rifles, I may have to add one to my "wish list".
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:41:38 PM EDT
[#35]

You ARE a pork troll!!!!

All I need is one small one to go on the smoker, one big one to be cut into bite sized pieces and one big, gnarly one with huge gnarly tusks to go on the wall
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top