Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2013 12:57:12 AM EDT
I'm in an argument or a discussion with a co worker who lives in OKC

Situation
You are a concealed carry permit holder and have a concealed firearm on you, you are confronted by an individual with a knife who threatens you with it and is approx 10-30 ft away. In OK who you be authorized to draw and fire your weapon in self defense?
Or would you have a duty to retreat or wait until the individual approaches you?

I tried looking for info about this in the OK firearms laws section but couldn't find a clear cut answer.

In my opinion I would say it would be a clear case of self Def. And it would be a good shoot, I'm not a lawyer by any means.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:32:05 AM EDT
[#1]
If he is 10' away and has his knife out then I would say it is time to draw.Thirty foot might be questionable, would depend on the situation. My understanding is you have to feel your life or the life of the ones with you are threatened. Hope I never have to make this decision.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:34:52 AM EDT
[#2]
obviously its a judgement call, but they told me  ("they told me ") in CC class  if running / hiding / avoiding the situation is a option, do it.
this was in concealed time,and they taught if someone sees your weapon the next thing they see is a muzzle blast.
using your weapon was supposed to be the very last option, down to i pull this gun, or i die.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:16:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Self-defense, in 30 feet, he could run you down if he's faster than you, or what if you tripped and fell? What if there is no clear escape route? How long can you outrun him? 30 feet is 10 yards, and most self-defense experts preach the 21 foot rule. Is 9ft/3 yards that big of a difference?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:55:14 AM EDT
[#4]
It would take a knife armed attacker less than 2 seconds to cover 30 feet. That is well within the guidelines for a justifiable use of lethal force for self defense. As long as you can articulate a legitimate fear of imminent danger which could reasonably result in serious physical injury or death you will be justified in the use of your firearm for prevention therefrom.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:24:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.
In FL we have no duty to Retreat and things are slightly in our favor. Not saying I'd like to shoot anybody. But it gives us options.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:06:07 AM EDT
[#6]
21 foot rule here I thought. I was taught 21 feet in my ccw course. Of coarse he can't be running away though
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:47:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm too gimped up to run so I'd definitely draw and if the threat made any forward progress I'd probably have to shoot.  My personal rule is "if I think I can get away uninjured then it's a no shoot but if I don't have a good "out" then I'm going to be forced to fight".  Inside my home is a different situation.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:02:39 PM EDT
[#8]
legally speaking, we have no duty to retreat here in Oklahoma.  I believe we modeled our stand your ground law from florida or vice versa.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:11:34 PM EDT
[#9]
If you are in fear of your life  and he is coming at you knife open and in hand , Bang  Bang !  Just let him close the gap alittle .
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 1:26:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not an attorney but I think that's when the "stand your ground" part of the "make my day" rules come into effect.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:29:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Run at me with a knife in your hand and I get to tell the story of what happened...

More to the point, at 30 feet, I don't feel threatened... but start moving closer and I would get there fast...
For me personally, it would also depend on where we were.. In Wal-Mart, less so but in my back yard or 1/4 mile from a road on my land, much more...
Also, have any verbal threats been made... Would change things fast...
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:24:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It would take a knife armed attacker less than 2 seconds to cover 30 feet. That is well within the guidelines for a justifiable use of lethal force for self defense. As long as you can articulate a legitimate fear of imminent danger which could reasonably result in serious physical injury or death you will be justified in the use of your firearm for prevention therefrom.
View Quote

+1 on this...
i remember when taking a defensive pistol class we did a drill with a attacker with a knife at 30 ft and a person with a gun in the holster, by the time you get the gun out the attacker is on you...
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:03:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Its just me,and don`t any follow my example,but anyone that close with a knife or other pointie object,I`m going hands on with anyone that close.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:36:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's really all there is to it folks. There are no hard rules.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:56:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, going with this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top