Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2012 11:36:40 AM EDT
What are the rules for selling a gun privately in Oklahoma?  Am I required to copy their DL or something? I've sold/bought guns many years ago without doing that but that was a long time ago. I'm not selling anything right now but I've considered it.

Having recently had my info stolen and my bank account take the hit (which my bank fortunately reimbursed me for) I'm leary of having someone copy my ID and I'm sure a buyer would feel similarly.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 12:19:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I generally like to see an ID at least (and ask if the buyer is a felon, ect), but you really don't have to get copies or get any paperwork done for a face to face.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 1:01:45 PM EDT
[#2]
If I don't know you I just get your DL info and save it with SS # of the weapon .
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 1:11:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Unless you're going to sell them in a dark parking lot late at night or very early in the morning, I don't worry about it too much.
If I don't like the looks of somebody, they aren't getting my gun even if they have the money. Or I won't buy theirs.
Use your gut instincts. Most of the time they would lead you wrong.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 1:20:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok that makes sense...last time I bought something I made a copy of DL with all the info except name and DOB blocked out. I'm just not comfortable showing my ID to people anymore.  Is it acceptable to do that when buying and accept that when selling or do people just need to look your ID over in entirety to feel comfortable with a transaction? Generally I have a rule against buying used because I got burned once. I've bought tons of guns new filling out all paperwork but I feel pretty secure that everything is on the up and up on a brand new purchase. Lately I've considered buying used again...I'm just freaked out about showing my complete info anymore...too many scumbags out there these days.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 1:43:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Some gun dealers will fill out extra guns on your sheet. I always cross out the lines below the one I buy on the 4473.
Just because you're buying from a dealer doesn't mean it's going to be an honest transaction.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 2:19:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmmm...that's a good tip, never thought about that.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Speaking of personal information and transactions, my debit card number was stolen recently and used for nearly $900 in Los Angeles county today. CVS Pharmacy for most of it and a cantina

Waiting for coordinates of the perp
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 8:58:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I generally just ask if there are legally able to buy and if they are OK residents (military town).

Used to be a man's word was good to go. Sad that its not that way anymore.

If I'm buying a gun from an individual and they ask to make a copy of my ID, they just lost a sale.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 11:09:19 AM EDT
[#9]
The most I will do when I am buyong is to show the person my ID but they won't get a copy or copy my info down.  I have asked to see ID on a couple of sales to make sure the kid was over 18 or 21.  Like Chuck said I. Go with my intinct and have never had a problem buying or selling private party.  

One thing you could do is a simple receipt with your name and the buyers name and the gun info with purchase price.  That would cover you either buying or selling if anything ever came up concerning the gun.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 12:53:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The most I will do when I am buyong is to show the person my ID but they won't get a copy or copy my info down.  I have asked to see ID on a couple of sales to make sure the kid was over 18 or 21.  Like Chuck said I. Go with my intinct and have never had a problem buying or selling private party.  

One thing you could do is a simple receipt with your name and the buyers name and the gun info with purchase price.  That would cover you either buying or selling if anything ever came up concerning the gun.

You'd be surprised how many people will refuse to do even that when they purchase a gun.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 1:01:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hmmm...that's a good tip, never thought about that.

+1
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 3:17:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Dale's son at SW Shooters did that quite a few times for the guns he stole out of the back and sold for his crack habit.
I believe that is one of the things he went to prison for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top