Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2011 3:50:51 PM EDT
Don't see too many basements around and have been told they are a bad idea due to unstable soil. I'm looking to build a attachment to my house on wheels and want to build a basement under my addition. Nothing but red dirt on my property. I'm looking to build a basement that doubles a a storm shelter for my tornado magnet of a house. My house moght be a modular vs mobile but it still came with wheels.

If clay is the issue, what needs to be done to build a basement with walls that won't crack?
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 7:53:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 3:53:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Red clay swells with water, shrinks when dry.
The constant movement of clay in the soil is apt to crack basement walls fairly quickly.
Then they will leak badly.
It took 25 yards of concrete to build my patio/storm cellar in red clay.
I had cracks from the beginning and even when I sold the house 4 years later.
I was using water stop concrete patch fairly often.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top