Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2010 2:48:37 PM EDT
Just got back from New Mexico. There was a small private pond where we stayed and I caught a few trout out of it with a few more in the Red River.
There were mule deer all over the place as well as archery elk hunters.
Here's the largest brownie I caught out of three total browns and 10 or so rainbow.

Here's a spike mule deer drinking out of the pond while I was fishing:

Here's a few more deer chowing down on clover by the parking lot:
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:49:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Ute park area?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Red River.
I've fished the Cimarron a few times around Ute Park but never stayed there.
My wife likes Red River so that's where we go.
Ute Park would be one hell of a nice place to have a summer home.
I like it much better than Red River but my wife rules the roost.
My favorite sporting goods shop in Red River shut down and is now for sale along with the home.
If my wife could retire I'd be up there and open a gun shop/fishing supplies.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:54:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Red River.
I've fished the Cimarron a few times around Ute Park but never stayed there.
My wife likes Red River so that's where we go.
Ute Park would be one hell of a nice place to have a summer home.
I like it much better than Red River but my wife rules the roost.
My favorite sporting goods shop in Red River shut down and is now for sale along with the home.
If my wife could retire I'd be up there and open a gun shop/fishing supplies.

You need to get up to Gunnison sometime for the fish!  Great sporting-goods store, great food, great shopping for the wife (close to Crested Butte).

By the way, where is your rover, I didn't see it in the pics!?!?!?!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:07:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

By the way, where is your rover, I didn't see it in the pics!?!?!?!

You just ain't real smart, are you?
If I had a rover, I'd have my ass sitting in it.
But I don't have one or need one.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:33:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice fish...  Were they good eating?  I have fished all over the west in several states.  However, I have never fished in New Mexico.  I do enjoy that state though.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:56:57 AM EDT
[#6]
You didn't really mean "were they good eating" did you?  Have you ever had a bad fresh trout that you caught yourself?

Although I wouldn't eat one down stream from Red River toward Questa.  That water looks nasty.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:02:29 AM EDT
[#7]
They were good. Stockers always are "iffy" about quality, especially if from the Red River.
Pond or lake trout I think are best.
I cut these in filets like a bass and gave them to a Mexican and his family that were there.
His three little girls all caught trout on my rods and were thrilled to death.
They came running out to fish with me every time they saw me with a rod in my hand.
They were from Amarillo and had never trout fished before.
They are experts now.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:13:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Now there is a big hearted man.  Give away a trout.  Damn Dan, thats like giving away the last hershey's kiss in the bag.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:26:19 AM EDT
[#9]
You won't believe it but I've cut fillets off over 40 trout at one sitting, all caught in pay for what you catch pond.
Roll the fillets in mustard and egg, then dip them in corn meal mixed with garlic and onion powder with black pepper, then fry them in olive oil.......
We've had some huge fish fries at my house.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:29:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nice fish...  Were they good eating?  I have fished all over the west in several states.  However, I have never fished in New Mexico.  I do enjoy that state though.

It's got some great fishing if you know where to go. Below the Navajo Dam on the San Juan River is world class if you like trophy fishing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top