Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2010 8:36:23 AM EDT
My wife just e-mailed me and said that she saw another E-3 nose down on the runway at Tinker. I'm trying to get some info on it for all of us AWACS guys that are here in A-stan and in the dark on this. If anyone knows any info on injuries, and/or squadron involved or anything else that's able to be said in general, would you mind IMing me?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:23:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I just heard about this tonight, no injuries reported.  I heard the jet was left on the runway due to the weather (t-storms going on in the area, yes?)
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:31:40 AM EDT
[#2]
It's been raining here for sure.
Glad no one was hurt!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:07:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Shit. A friend of mine flies out of Tinker.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:00:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Shit. A friend of mine flies out of Tinker.

As do a LOT of mine. Nobody was hurt, that much I have confirmed.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:31:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Inside word was that it belonged to the Reserve unit, and it looks like landing gear failed.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:45:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Glad to hear nobody was hurt.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:51:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Inside word was that it belonged to the Reserve unit, and it looks like landing gear failed.

"Lets see now, how can we get a new one to replace this old pos . . . . Hey private grab that wrench and follow me . . . . . "
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:15:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Lets see now, how can we get a new one to replace this old pos . . . . Hey private grab that wrench and follow me . . . . . "

gosh i wish the gov would replace them or at least try to upgrade or something. It seems like all they do is break or fail! Just a chunk of metal that is falling apart as the years keep passing by. i don't think that some of the equipment that the mil uses was meant to be in service for as long as they have been. i could be wrong though.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:33:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

gosh i wish the gov would replace them or at least try to upgrade or something. It seems like all they do is break or fail! Just a chunk of metal that is falling apart as the years keep passing by. i don't think that some of the equipment that the mil uses was meant to be in service for as long as they have been. i could be wrong though.

I knew an airman 10 years ago that told me about the TTL logic ICs being used in AWACS that were 20 years out of date back then.
I'd hate to see what they are using on the air frames....
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:37:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Technically speaking, the reserve E-3 unit at Tinker does not own the E-3s, Air Combat Command does.  Both active duty and reserve share the same jets.     And technically speaking , the wheels in the front are known as the nose gear, and the bigger ones further back are the main landing gears, or just landing gears.  Only tail-wheeled airplanes land on the front wheels first.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:01:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I've heard a couple different things...1st theory was a a blown tire/locked up nose gear.....but since there's 3 blown tires they're looking into a possible hard landing. A hard landing happened somewhere else about 8 months ago n this resembles that one.....and tis accident did happen in bad weather I believe...and of course there's an ongoing investigation......
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:51:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Technically speaking, the reserve E-3 unit at Tinker does not own the E-3s, Air Combat Command does.  Both active duty and reserve share the same jets.     And technically speaking , the wheels in the front are known as the nose gear, and the bigger ones further back are the main landing gears, or just landing gears.  Only tail-wheeled airplanes land on the front wheels first.  

Just because I'm Army doesn't mean I grunt and point when I speak. I was told it was a main gear failure, aka landing gear.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just because I'm Army doesn't mean I grunt and point when I speak. I was told it was a main gear failure, aka landing gear.

Ya don't say
I thought it was just the gruntin' and pointin' from those army types without any speach involved
Any jarhead would agree I'm sure.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:01:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Do you make sergeant in the Army if you can tell what the wings are on an airplane?

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:10:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:43:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you make sergeant in the Army if you can tell what the wings are on an airplane?

Do you make Chief in the Navy when you lose your gag reflex?

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:44:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ya don't say

I thought it was just the gruntin' and pointin' from those army types without any speach involved

Sure, there are plenty of one term Marines around for me to ask.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:23:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No, that happens when you root for the boys from Annapolis when they play the girls from West Point.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:17:25 PM EDT
[#19]
It was still sitting on RWY 12 as of yesterday.  I meant to get a closer look today (but had more important shit to do like paperwork).  Mains are fine.  The ass end is up in the air and it's sitting on the nose.  We'll find out soon enough what happened.  

Fudge!  Good to see that you're still able to access arf.com even after you, Hot Karl, and Doug-E-Fresh have been court-martialed for walking on the Generals rocks  

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It was still sitting on RWY 12 as of yesterday.  I meant to get a closer look today (but had more important shit to do like paperwork).  Mains are fine.  The ass end is up in the air and it's sitting on the nose.  We'll find out soon enough what happened.  

Fudge!  Good to see that you're still able to access arf.com even after you, Hot Karl, and Doug-E-Fresh have been court-martialed for walking on the Generals rocks  

Tinker spends all this time and money on 12-30 and now its closed again, good grief!    Are they going to repaint the centerline?          

Yeah, it was a real crash and burn.  We all learned the hard way.  Don't walk on the sacred rocks!!   Oh get this, they now have a CAC checker at the DFAC.  Don't CAC in?  You'll also get court-martialed!   Surprising I haven't gotten in any fights around here (especially in the DFAC ), considering the number of Army guys here!  

I can tell Hotness is ready to leave here man.  He's actually losing weight!   We're getting sick of the food.  (Poor us right haha) Mac is still running strong, keeping me in shape at the gym man.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:35:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya don't say

We're also skilled at spelling words with one syllable like 'speech'.  Occasionally we even put a period at the end of a sentence when we're trying to look educated.  

If you just said 'speech' and used your fingers to count the syllables, go get your diploma, tear it up, and call your school for a refund.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:50:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, that happens when you root for the boys from Annapolis when they play the girls from West Point.

They both suck......The boys at the USAFA always dominate the semen and sanitation engineers!

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:55:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

They both suck......The boys at the USAFA always dominate the semen and sanitation engineers!

You been hanging with your boyfriend Rat again?

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:05:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You been hanging with your boyfriend Rat again?

Honest typo....seamen...not semen!!!!!  My bad.....I didn't mean to get you hungry!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I've heard a couple different things...1st theory was a a blown tire/locked up nose gear.....but since there's 3 blown tires they're looking into a possible hard landing. A hard landing happened somewhere else about 8 months ago n this resembles that one.....and tis accident did happen in bad weather I believe...and of course there's an ongoing investigation......
Talking about the other E-3 crash at Nellis?

We landed really freakin hard on that jet. Maybe it was a hard landing on this one, maybe not. These planes are old and a lot of times don't get the attention they need. I would not be surprised at all if it was just a structural failure on the gear. I've been on a plane where the Eng told me he saw a 6" crack in a landing gear support strut written up, but the forms said it was determined there was "no significant stress on the part to warrant replacing"

I wondered after Nellis if there wasn't something wrong that affected the rest of the fleet....I don't know whether to call this coincidence or not honestly, but I'm leaning towards it in this case.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#26]
There's a reason the airlines aren't flying airplanes built in the 60's anymore.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:50:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Honest typo....seamen...not semen!!!!!  My bad.....I didn't mean to get you hungry!!!!!

So you were with Rat!

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
There's a reason the airlines aren't flying airplanes built in the 60's anymore.

None of the E-3s were built in the 60s.    
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:06:27 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

None of the E-3s were built in the 60s.    

I was talking about the USAF fleet in general. Seems like half of the planes that aren't fighters qualify for social security.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:30:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yeah, because they couldn't afford to.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:07:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Talking about the other E-3 crash at Nellis?

We landed really freakin hard on that jet. Maybe it was a hard landing on this one, maybe not. These planes are old and a lot of times don't get the attention they need. I would not be surprised at all if it was just a structural failure on the gear. I've been on a plane where the Eng told me he saw a 6" crack in a landing gear support strut written up, but the forms said it was determined there was "no significant stress on the part to warrant replacing"

I wondered after Nellis if there wasn't something wrong that affected the rest of the fleet....I don't know whether to call this coincidence or not honestly, but I'm leaning towards it in this case.

Yeah that might be the one. I heard it 3rd party and he wasn't exactly sure where it happened.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top