Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2010 8:00:04 PM EDT
Guys it looks like we are getting our first Appleseed in the central Oklahoma area so we need to make it a success. This is about 95% complete and everything should be finalized in the next couple days.

The basics: it will be at the Oklahoma City Gun Club March 6 and 7. Fee is $70 for the weekend and includes a Tshirt. There is a $10 range fee for non OKCGC members. Women, kids, military, and elected officials shoot for the $10 range fee only so bring the whole family. Saturday and Sunday morning will be shot at 25m making a 22lr a great choice. For those who qualify we are looking to shoot out to 500 yards Sunday afternoon. If you don't want to shoot at distance you'll be able to continue at 25m.

For those who are not familiar with Appleseed they teach basic rifle marksmanship from standing , sitting, and prone and throw in some great history of the first day of the American Revolution. This is a great weekend for any level shooter and by using a 22 the cost can be kept under a $100 for both days. It is the best value in training in my opinion.

I'll post the link to register as soon as it's available. You can learn more about the program at appleseedinfo.org for shoot specific questions you can post here, PM me, or email me at okfirearmstraining @ gmail . Com
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 8:21:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome! I def want in. Do you know if OKCGC will be accepting new members between now and then? I have been meaning to join, just never got around to it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 4:25:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure on membership. I know they've done one orientation this year already but last year they did two so there might be a chance.  Go to okcgunclub.org and look up the membership guy under contacts, he should be able to give you a definate answer.
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 5:14:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is the link to Appleseed for information and to register. Lets get this filled up.

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=11498.0
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 7:27:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Great! I will be home for this. I will be there!
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 1:15:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Keeping this on the front page so everyone can see it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 8:03:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Just registered, I was hoping to find an Appleseed event this year and thought I was going to have to study up on Kansas gun laws, glad we'll have one in OK.
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 8:52:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I just registered. I was already going to try to take the kids with me. While I was registering my wife asked me about it. I showed her the Appleseed web site. After she read it she got excited too and now she wants to go as well.  This will be a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 12:17:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Great to hear guys. It's going to be a good weekend.  

They are having two shoots in Georgia, and one in Kansas, California, illinois, and South Carolina the same weekend. I'd love for okc to have the best turnout of the weekend.
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 4:08:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Really considering going to this, what time does it start and end each day.
I might just try to make the drive from Stillwater each day if I can get those days off.

Edit: Nevermind, I found the pdf file for the event 8:30am.  I will see if I can make it!
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 1:00:57 PM EDT
[#10]
bring this back to the top.  i was going to go to the one in NE OK, but OK gun club's a shorter drive.
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 6:24:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Shoot is in two weeks guys still time to get signed up.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 2:17:39 PM EDT
[#12]
BTT. I wish I'd taken this class years ago before my knees went south. My brother, a retired cop from Pittsburgh, PA who has been an LE firearms instructor for decades, took it after he retired. He says it was the BEST course he ever took as far as gaining accuracy. He has always been great with a handgun but only fair with a rifle.
But this course shot with a borrowed 10/22 has got him wound up to buy/build a super accurate long range gun.
So take the course at you own risk!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 6:49:34 PM EDT
[#13]
One week until Appleseed. We had 32 shooters signed up last Tuesday it's going to be a good time.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 7:25:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
One week until Appleseed. We had 32 shooters signed up last Tuesday it's going to be a good time.

Bratch, I signed up as a Saturday-only shooter and I'm trying to arrange the rest of life to fit around that day. My question is if there is a known time for Saturday to wrap up? If the time is indeterminate, that's fine, but if there is any time that we have to clear the range by, that would help me decide on exactly how I need to plan my trip. I realize I can probably just leave any time I need to, but I'd like to spend the whole alloted time there.

I'm looking forward to it, no matter what the answer to that question might be, and I hope to see a lot of OKHTF armcommers there.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 7:57:24 AM EDT
[#15]
They are supposed to wrap up in the 5-5:30 range, depending on how the day goes it could run a bit later a couple I have been to have. The club has a no shooting after dark rule so it can't go much late than 6:30 or so.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 12:16:38 PM EDT
[#16]
i'm in.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Any Tulsa area folks plan on making the drive over for this event?
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 6:17:37 PM EDT
[#18]
There are some Tulsa folks on the other board coming down.

Tomorrow is the last day to prereg at $70; we currently have almost 60 shooters signed up. It is going to be a great weekend.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 8:40:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Tomorrow is the last day to prereg at $70; we currently have almost 60 shooters signed up. It is going to be a great weekend.

Any charge for bystanders who come to watch for a bit?
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 5:38:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

not sure we need any hecklers dan.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 6:47:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure some of these guys here will tell you very few are more helpful to others than I am on the firing line.
If my knee was healed, I'd be on that firing line both days.
If it hadn't been for my bad knees, I'd have taken this course when they had it at the Badlands a year or so ago.
Heckle, not quite.
Envious, yes.

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 7:23:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Come out and say hi for a bit Dan well be on the black powder range all day Sat and Sun morning.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 7:31:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Come out and say hi for a bit Dan well be on the black powder range all day Sat and Sun morning.

Are you going to hit the silhouette range or the Hi Power range for long distance?
That's what I'd like to watch.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 7:54:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Hi power range Sunday afternoon dependant upon the shooting Sat and Sun morning. Somebody needs to be shooting 190 at 25m to move over to known distance.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 10:27:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hi power range Sunday afternoon dependant upon the shooting Sat and Sun morning. Somebody needs to be shooting 190 at 25m to move over to known distance.

What does "190" mean for those of us who don't know anything about guns?
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:03:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

that's the weight of the chick you have to date if you don't qualify to move on in the competition

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:16:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

that's the weight of the chick you have to date if you don't qualify to move on in the competition

Pretty cool, not nearly as beefy as my ex!
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 3:37:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

we will be shooting the army qualification test at 25m on scaled targets.  The aqt has a max score of 250,  the instructors want people to show proficency at 25m by scoring 190 on the aqt before moving to known distance.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty cool, not nearly as beefy as my ex!

hell yeah man, shade in the summer and heat in the winter, and fat chicks are always ready and willing

Link Posted: 3/6/2010 3:10:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure some of these guys here will tell you very few are more helpful to others than I am on the firing line.
If my knee was healed, I'd be on that firing line both days.
If it hadn't been for my bad knees, I'd have taken this course when they had it at the Badlands a year or so ago.
Heckle, not quite.
Envious, yes.

i was just pickin' w/ ya.  i've got one of those bum knees myself, not fun at all.  i'll have my lucky hat on (it literally says "lucky hat" on it) and i'll be shooting my SKS, come say hi if you make it out.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 7:17:36 PM EDT
[#31]
We had us some dang fun out there today! I only signed up for one day, figuring I would be too sore to walk all the way to the firing line on Sunday, and I'm going to be right about that. BIG turnout, I heard rumors that it was 70, and that's about what it looked like on the line, you got to know the person shooting next to you pretty good.

My shooting improved more in one day than it had in the last 20 years. I didn't go home with that 190 lb girl though, I had to take the same german shepherd home that I came with.

Thanks for hooking Oklahoma up with Appleseed, Bratch.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 9:12:01 AM EDT
[#32]
there was a good turnout both days.  60 on saturday and half that sunday.  there was a lot of great instruction and it was good to meet so many down to earth people.  i'll go again, especially if they bring it back to the OKC gun club.  now i just need to practice what i learned.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 9:52:47 AM EDT
[#33]
My kids and I had a lot of fun and met a lot of great people. I will go again if the opportunity presents itself.

Thanks for posting the Appleseed shoot here in the OKHTF otherwise I would have missed it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:33:59 AM EDT
[#34]
You guys are really turkeys for telling us how good it was. It just makes us old broke down farts feel worse for not going or not being able to shoot the course!
Plain old basic American marksmanship!
That as good as it can get!
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Glad to hear everyone had a good time and learned something.

You can find pictures here:

http://okcfirearmstraining.shutterfly.com/

We had an 84 year old grandfather shoot both days including transitions, he was pretty impressive
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:23:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You guys are really turkeys for telling us how good it was. It just makes us old broke down farts feel worse for not going or not being able to shoot the course!

dan, there were plenty of broken down old farts that were there.  one elderly gent told me he'd broken both legs and both were arthritic, he seemed to do ok.

only bad thing is that now i want a more accurate rifle and i figure that's gonna cost me.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:25:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

dan, there were plenty of broken down old farts that were there.  one elderly gent told me he'd broken both legs and both were arthritic, he seemed to do ok.

only bad thing is that now i want a more accurate rifle and i figure that's gonna cost me.

It's just ten weeks since I had my knee replaced.
If they have it next year, I should be able to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:19:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's just ten weeks since I had my knee replaced.
If they have it next year, I should be able to shoot.

yeah, that's a little soon.  we'll see ya next time then.  how's the knee feeling, btw?
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

yeah, that's a little soon.  we'll see ya next time then.  how's the knee feeling, btw?

It's swollen on one side. I've got "runner's knee" - a swollen IT band.
How in the hell that has happened is beyond me.
My fastest run wouldn't keep up with a snail crawling backwards.

My brother is in the same dilemna you are. His PD didn't allow patrol rifles and only a few had shotguns.
Now he's fired up wanting a super accurate rifle.
I've got some very accurate bolts that shoot much better than I do.
But for accuracy with a rifle, to me it seems you have to reload, and work out the best load, best scope, etc for your preferred rifle and caliber.
My latest rifle that I want to be good with is a single shot, an Encore 22-250 with a 6x-24x ballistic mildot reticle from Burris.
Nden really like that glass and was talking last time we shot about going with a Burris on his.
I once had a Rem 40x LH in 308 with a 6x-20x Leupold on it. I bought a cheap Savage Tactical LH in 308, put on a cheap Simmons Pro50 scope and it stayed pretty even with high dollar Remington. Not necessarily quite as good but I'm not going to argue over a 1/10" in group size.
The Remington is gone, the Savage is still here but now sports a Burris XTR 3x-12x 30mm scope.
My son has a Savage 116LH 308 that has shot less than a 1/2" group at 100 with a 3x9 Leupold VX II.
Now I'm not trying to persuade you what to buy, but the Savages are still good buys even though they've gotten much higher than they used to be.
And if I was going to buy a premium scope, the Burris line does real well as far as I'm concerned.
Of the last four scopes I've bought in the last two years, a Leupold 3x9 went on a 308 Encore barrel, a 3x9 Nikon Omega went on a Encore muzzle loader barrel, and two Burris scopes - one on a Savage, one on an Encore barrel.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:53:37 AM EDT
[#40]
sounds like you have some nice accurate guns.  i'm trying to decide whether to sell off some of my other guns or to wait until i can save up the money.  decisions, decisions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top