Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2009 8:01:48 PM EDT
On March 10, 2009 I ordered a Sig Dark Elite from Medlock Firearms.
The salesperson was very helpful. He even called Sig to see what the delivery would be and if I could even order as it was a new item.
Sig stated delivery would be 6 weeks. I put money down, placed my order and settled in for the wait.

After 8 weeks I had not heard a word. Made a visit to Medlock. They checked and no firearm. No effort was made to check on it by calling Sig.

2 weeks later I visited the store again. Once again, a cursory look was made and they didn't have my firearm in. No effort was made to check on it.
Unfortunately the person I ordered it with no longer worked there.

2 weeks later I e-mailed Medlock on their website. I asked explicitly that someone check with Sig and get me an answer. I was aware of delivery issues with
all firearms manufacturers. At this point I was just looking for someone to #1 make sure it was on order and #2 call Sig and give me an estimated delivery date.

2 weeks later. No answer to my e-mail. I made another trip to Medlock. The owner was not there. I was there upon opening at 10 a.m. on a weekday and there
was just one person there. I asked him to confirm my firearm was on order. He said he couldn't and I would have to get with the owner. I had him give me a
legal pad. I wrote down all of my information, all of my phone numbers, and asked explicitly that someone #1 make sure it is on order #2 give me a delivery date.
Just call me with something.
Once again, no response.

4 weeks later I called on a Saturday. Got someone on the phone. They couldn't help me but would take a message. I stated the obvious. I wanted an answer and
have someone call me. They said they would pass it on.
Once again no reply.

Finally I called last week on Thursday. I got hold of someone and they said yes, they had two of my firearm in stock. I said in stock. I ordered one back in March. I then got the run
around about a new computer system blah blah blah and sorry they didn't call yada yada yada.
If I had not called I don't know if I would have ever got my firearm.

So I go in on Saturday to pick up. Took over an hour to do paperwork. They were busy with only two people in the store. That and because I had ordered my firearm on the
old computer system, they would have to re-do paperwork. It was a mess. I was so pissed I just wanted my firearm and out the door.

Normally, I disassemble any firearm I purchase and inspect before leaving the store. Because it took an hour, I was mad as hell and biting my tongue I didn't and I regret it.
Any you guessed it. It has problems. I picked it up on Saturday and shipped to Sig on Monday.
See link below for the new fiasco.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=14&t=83529

Bottom line. If you order a firearm from Medlock you will have to stay on top of it. Customer service is non-existant.
I will never darken there doors again. Poorest service I have ever had.

As far as Sig goes. They have my gun I have waited 6 months for. I will see if they make this right. For the price I paid I could have purchased two Glocks.
If I didn't already have so many Glocks that is what I would have done. This is my first Sig and probably my last.
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 12:54:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link fail
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 3:10:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Link fail

How about helping him out instead of posting something non-helpful.

Here is the link to his thread.
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 4:03:31 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the info, I have driven through there before, and I won't go there
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 4:57:32 AM EDT
[#4]
My father in law ordered a .357 Desert Eagle pistol from Gene Sears in the late 1990's.

The pistol never came in...never came in...never came in...until like almost a year later!

The store had ordered it ok, it was just that the distributer didn't get any in stock to ship for a long ass time.

The reason for the delay, as told to my father in law, was that no .357 DE pistols were available at the time to the dealers....because various concerns in Hollywood had ordered up a bunch of that caliber of Desert Eagle pistols for various movie productions.
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 10:41:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/4/2009 9:43:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Always ask for Becky, she is the wife of the husband/wife owner and probably handles most of everything.
I would of called and kept asking for her until you get her on the phone.  She's the one with all the info.
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 8:15:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Always ask for Becky, she is the wife of the husband/wife owner and probably handles most of everything.
I would of called and kept asking for her until you get her on the phone.  She's the one with all the info.

If the only way to get good service is to know the right person this business needs to seriously reevaluate its practices.

It is possible this is a one time occurrence.  However, your post leads me to believe that there is only one competent individual working at this store.

I have never done business with them.  At this point I would be leery but have not necessarily written them off altogether.
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 6:19:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Believe me I tried.
As stated I wrote a full page note on an 8.5 X 11 piece of paper with all my contact numbers and left for her at the store.
No one would return calls. Not one time.
For all I know it was Sig's fault it took 6 months. But I don't know that and that is the problem.
Just as simple phone call and update would have been nice or just one returned call.
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 4:04:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Believe me I tried.
As stated I wrote a full page note on an 8.5 X 11 piece of paper with all my contact numbers and left for her at the store.
No one would return calls. Not one time.
For all I know it was Sig's fault it took 6 months. But I don't know that and that is the problem.
Just as simple phone call and update would have been nice or just one returned call.

Getting great or even good, well I wouldn't even call it good, customer service in a TULSA gun store is almost Non-Existent!

OPS-horrible most of the time, I've done 3-4 transfers through them and I've had to wait 15-20 minutes about ever time while everyone else just walked around and looked at each other and gossip. When someone finally helped me they were quick to do the paper work and take the money and walk away.

Medlocks-have had both good and bad more than once. I've gone through about the same thing you went through, just not as bad. If you don't call and check you'll never get your packages and they don't return phone calls.

Lashes-glad it's closing/closed customer service was fucking horrible

Sportsworld-good here the last few times I've went in there, just don't deal with the dad.

I buy all of my stuff online, well usually, and I have people that do my transfer for free. I was talking to a buddy of mine about all the bad service we've received in Tulsa and if we could afford it we would open our own gun store with customer service. I deal with over 2-300 people a day and I know what it takes and how you should provide service to people.
Link Posted: 10/7/2009 1:10:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Tulsa gunstore workers are assholes. especially the dudes at Dongs and OPS.

I think they legitimatley hate customers.

the TK supply people are awesome though
Link Posted: 10/7/2009 10:38:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Tulsa gunstore workers are assholes. especially the dudes at Dongs and OPS.

I think they legitimatley hate customers.

the TK supply people are awesome though

I don't care for ding Dongs or OPS either. It's bad enough to hear R-574 from Dong's on the radio let alone have to talk to him in person. What a joke of a guy.
Link Posted: 10/7/2009 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Hearing you guys talk about Tulsa gun shops reminds me of what it is like when I go to DE MD shops when I go to my home town for the holidays. I guess I didn't realize how spoiled I am to have some cool gun/pawn shops out here in the sticks near by. Sorry Avenger-hope Sig gets ya back to the range quick.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 3:17:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Considering the fact that we have not had that gun in stock since February, your concerns are dually appreciated. Every dillegent effort was made to acquire this pistol for you, whether you think so or not.  Our employees do not contact the manufacturers directly and are not expected to do so.  They do pass the appropriate info needed to the owners and the special order guns are then purchased.  The gun manufacturers have been playing holy hell for catchup on production for the last year or so.  It is unfortunate that with the current gun buying status that Mr Avenger44 cannot appreciate that his is not the only gun that we have to try and keep track of, not even close.  Most manufacturer reps are merely front men that are left with the job making excuses for their companys lack of production. So why you sit back in the seclusive confines of your own home and make slurs of the gun dealers that do try hard to please their customers, I have to wonder why you would hide behind the annonomity of the internet and try to injure a business that you obviously do not understand how to operate yourself?  Furthermore, we have computer records, shippinig invoices, etc as facts to back up our acquisition and disposition of said pistol.  

However, giving you credit that you  do not understand how to supply the seemingly entire general public, plus police departments, individual officers and associated others with the mass amounts of firearms we deal in on a daily basis, it is understandable that you would perceive you gun was broken and took it upon yourself to deal with and blast on the internet.  Company policy is that any weapon purchased from us is covered under warranty for the period of a year thru us above and beyond that of the manufacturer at our cost not yours.  Any hard feelings that you have are apparently just as much of your fault as anyone elses and could have been remedied before you took it to this level.  We are gun professionals and do not choose to slander on the internet or in public as you have.

Any questions you have can always be answered.

Jason Medlock
owner
(918)371-3791
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:02:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Nevermind. Not worth it./
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 6:43:58 PM EDT
[#15]
The gun shop I deal with, if they don't have it in stock,  gives me a reliable expected delivery date,  they call me when it arrives,  and they've never been wrong about when an item is due in.  If they say it'll be here on such and such day,  it's here on that day.

It is unfortunate that with the current gun buying status that Mr Avenger44 cannot appreciate that his is not the only gun that we have to try and keep track of, not even close.

Sounds like Mr. Medlock is saying they're too busy to worry about your gun when they have so much else to take care of.  

We are gun professionals and do not choose to slander on the internet or in public as you have.

Slander;
Slander is the oral communication of false statements that are harmful to a person's reputation. If the statements are proven to be true, it is a complete defense to a charge of slander.

Personally,  I didn't care one way or the other,  just a report of a negative experience like so many others that are posted on the internet.  One bad experience usually isn't enough to make me avoid a business.

However, rather than addressing the problems stated in the original post and offering a different view and explanation,  you instead choose to use assumptions and personal commentary regarding Avenger to make your point.  I'll let you guess what my opinion is now.

Just don't expect a call back.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 4:16:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Considering the fact that we have not had that gun in stock since February, your concerns are dually appreciated. Every dillegent effort was made to acquire this pistol for you, whether you think so or not.  Our employees do not contact the manufacturers directly and are not expected to do so.  They do pass the appropriate info needed to the owners and the special order guns are then purchased.  The gun manufacturers have been playing holy hell for catchup on production for the last year or so.  It is unfortunate that with the current gun buying status that Mr Avenger44 cannot appreciate that his is not the only gun that we have to try and keep track of, not even close.  Most manufacturer reps are merely front men that are left with the job making excuses for their companys lack of production. So why you sit back in the seclusive confines of your own home and make slurs of the gun dealers that do try hard to please their customers, I have to wonder why you would hide behind the annonomity of the internet and try to injure a business that you obviously do not understand how to operate yourself?  Furthermore, we have computer records, shippinig invoices, etc as facts to back up our acquisition and disposition of said pistol.  

However, giving you credit that you  do not understand how to supply the seemingly entire general public, plus police departments, individual officers and associated others with the mass amounts of firearms we deal in on a daily basis, it is understandable that you would perceive you gun was broken and took it upon yourself to deal with and blast on the internet.  Company policy is that any weapon purchased from us is covered under warranty for the period of a year thru us above and beyond that of the manufacturer at our cost not yours.  Any hard feelings that you have are apparently just as much of your fault as anyone elses and could have been remedied before you took it to this level.  We are gun professionals and do not choose to slander on the internet or in public as you have.

Jason Medlock
owner
(918)371-3791

Suggested Reading:

Link Posted: 10/29/2009 6:14:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Jason Medlock
owner
(918)371-3791

I myself am more of a lurker then anything, but a local gun junkie.  I have long noticed many shortcomings of local gun shops, and have seen some with good and bad days.  I read Avenger's post, and considered it as another poster's opinion, and would still be willing to due business with Medlocks, however after Jason was so kind to come down here and tell us about his business, I doubt I will now.  Jacetheace89, I strongly encourage you to consider what you say before you type when addressing customer service issues, you get yourself in more trouble sir.  If you are dealing with so many police agencies which I doubt, and so many customers, then you need to invest more time in the business or scale back the size.  The most important customer is the one who spends $5, not the agency who drops $30,000.  If you are lost, please do some research on this.  Also, with the records you are required to keep by the ATF, I am sure you already know who Avenger is, and you never gave a reason or excuse why you never contacted him.  I didnt see any slander by him, in fact you comfirmed you didnt care about him and his one purchase, and were too busy to call him.  I dont blame him for skipping you and going straight to Sig to get his new gun fixed, which unlike you, they took good care of him in short order.  How long would it of taken to do the same thing by your store?  He never blamed you for not getting the Sig in a timely matter, just failing to provide the very basics of customer service.  In the future, if you would like some training and freelance customer service skills advice, send me a PM at your earliest convenience, and I will be more then happy in educating your customer service oriented business in the proper ways of doing business.  If you havent learned, there is a shortage of a good gun shop consistantly.  Why not solve the problem rather then contribute to it?
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:59:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Considering the fact that we have not had that gun in stock since February, your concerns are dually appreciated. Every dillegent effort was made to acquire this pistol for you, whether you think so or not. Our employees do not contact the manufacturers directly and are not expected to do so. They do pass the appropriate info needed to the owners and the special order guns are then purchased. The gun manufacturers have been playing holy hell for catchup on production for the last year or so. It is unfortunate that with the current gun buying status that Mr Avenger44 cannot appreciate that his is not the only gun that we have to try and keep track of, not even close. Most manufacturer reps are merely front men that are left with the job making excuses for their companys lack of production. So why you sit back in the seclusive confines of your own home and make slurs of the gun dealers that do try hard to please their customers, I have to wonder why you would hide behind the annonomity of the internet and try to injure a business that you obviously do not understand how to operate yourself? Furthermore, we have computer records, shippinig invoices, etc as facts to back up our acquisition and disposition of said pistol.

However, giving you credit that you do not understand how to supply the seemingly entire general public, plus police departments, individual officers and associated others with the mass amounts of firearms we deal in on a daily basis, it is understandable that you would perceive you gun was broken and took it upon yourself to deal with and blast on the internet. Company policy is that any weapon purchased from us is covered under warranty for the period of a year thru us above and beyond that of the manufacturer at our cost not yours. Any hard feelings that you have are apparently just as much of your fault as anyone elses and could have been remedied before you took it to this level. We are gun professionals and do not choose to slander on the internet or in public as you have.

Jason Medlock
owner
(918)371-3791

For all your words, you couldn't make a simple phone call to a customer who left his contact information multiple times, and answer two simple questions? Even if you didn't have a delivery date, you were so damn busy you couldn't confirm if it was even on order? So what did you do with the paper the customer left with his contact info, throw it away?

So why you sit back in the seclusive confines of your own home and make slurs of the gun dealers that do try hard to please their customers,

This whole post says the customer had no indication you were trying to please him.

Furthermore, we have computer records, shippinig invoices, etc as facts to back up our acquisition and disposition of said pistol.

Yet you couldn't verify if the gun was actually on order?

I've been through this myself with a business that refused to have any contact with their customers after the initial sale, to the extreme that the last customer may finally get their product after a 2 year wait. I ran a gun business for over a year. No excuse for not answering customers questions. Takes less time to make a phone call than it does to check email.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 8:06:31 AM EDT
[#19]
After more consideration,  had Mr. Medlock came here and posted something to the effect of:  

We're looking into the cause of the communication failure between the customer and our store.  The lack of contact and updates concerning his order is not how we do business and we are examining ways to prevent this in the future.  The delay resulted from a prolonged manufacturer supply issue,  and we regret not having contacted the customer to explain why it took months for him to receive his order.  As a result, we understand the customer's reluctance to return the malfunctioning firearm to us based on his experience but we would like to extend our apologies to him and remind everyone that we do offer a one year warranty beyond that offered by the manufacturer.  

In conclusion,  we realize that all customers are important, no matter if they're spending one hundred dollars or one hundred thousand dollars. We work to offer superior service, but while we continually strive for perfection, we also realize the occasional mistake happens.  We hope that you will continue to consider our store for all your firearms needs in the future,  and look forward to serving you in a timely and efficient manner.

Sincerely,

Xxxxxxxxxx

Had this been posted instead of that mess of excuses and assumptions,  I'd likely make a side trip every time I was in the Tulsa area. Now that I know this is a place where the customer is always wrong, I owe Mr. Medlock a thanks for saving me time and money.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 2:41:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Medlock = FAIL.

He was even nice enough to come on here and prove that to us himself.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:57:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Wow, rough crowd

I'm with Sam and 2Bravo on this deal. HHhmmmm... that should probably make me nervous
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 8:47:15 PM EDT
[#22]
maybe fred baker oughta start replying to all the OA threads on the board, not knocking his business since I've never had an issue buying a gun or anything else there, just the customer service skills some of his employees have.

of course if they've got an idea you're going to buy something, then they're more than cordial.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 3:43:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
We're looking into the cause of the communication failure between the customer and our store.  The lack of contact and updates concerning his order is not how we do business and we are examining ways to prevent this in the future.  The delay resulted from a prolonged manufacturer supply issue,  and we regret not having contacted the customer to explain why it took months for him to receive his order.  As a result, we understand the customer's reluctance to return the malfunctioning firearm to us based on his experience but we would like to extend our apologies to him and remind everyone that we do offer a one year warranty beyond that offered by the manufacturer.  

In conclusion,  we realize that all customers are important, no matter if they're spending one hundred dollars or one hundred thousand dollars. We work to offer superior service, but while we continually strive for perfection, we also realize the occasional mistake happens.  We hope that you will continue to consider our store for all your firearms needs in the future,  and look forward to serving you in a timely and efficient manner.

Sincerely,

Xxxxxxxxxx

Would you happen to own a gun store? I think I'd like to do business there.

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#24]
First off, This is Becky Medlock... I have never realy felt the need to have a log in here before so I am using Jason's to post this.

As most of you are aware, I am the one who you see in the store if you happen to come in there. Speaking on behalf of Jason and I, it was never either of our intention to make any one angry, and I agree that what he posted was not the most appropriate response. If you look back at the basics, we are all human and any one who is angry or upset says things that may not be taken in the manner in which they were intended. I don't even have a log in for this site for that very reason. I can get upset with the best of them.

However bantering on this forum does neither the consumer or our business any good.

Here are the facts; as it seems to be demanded by so many of you (although justification at this point is mute). The product in question was ordered as promised. The manufacturer had not delivered the product to us since last Feb. That is a Fact. Should we have callled more often, maybe. Should we have tried to make excuses for Sig, maybe.  
What would be the point. We still wouldn't have had the product and the customer would still be upset. On the day in wich the customer called/came in to pick up his firearm, I was not there. Occasionally I have to take off for that little thing we call life. In fact we were burying a relative that day. I apologize for the lack of staffing.

Every customer is still very much important to me. No one is more important than the other. This has been a whirlwind of a year. The entire gun industry has done a flip flop more than once and we are all still trying to catch our breath.

I try my hardest to remember who comes in my store. If you come in on a regular basis, I probably know you by name. I think of most of you as more than just customers and each and every one of you that pertains to knows that.

We probably did drop the ball so to speak on this situation. However that is not the norm nor the standard by wich we conduct our business.
I will not plead for business on hear nor will I bash any one else. I work a lot of hours to try to keep track of the business in which I do have. We are always accepting new customers and friends wichever you may turn out to be.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I work for a Fortune 34 company. Customer experience is a big priority especially in a recession. Doesnt matter if they spent $300, or $300,000, they should be treated the same. My job at one point was figuring out how we can make the customers experience better. One of the biggest things you can do is keep the customer informed, so their expectations are correct. If our parts are delayed we call, and let them know. Its not great telling them they arent getting it when they expected, but the customer is happier in the long run as they know there is going to be a delay, rather than the date coming and going and them having to take time out of their day to call us. A little bit goes a long way in the customer service business. How long would it have taken to leave him a message, better yet, if you get an email at the time of purchase you could have sent a generic email. You can also better your customer service by sending a survey or asking for feedback via the email.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:15:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#27]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top