Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2009 5:41:41 AM EDT
What to buy, what to buy, what to buy?

An ACOG, some improved night vision, spend the money on my Jeep truck, buy a brush hog mower?

Hard to decide. Tired of new guns! I have some I have never fired. A personal decision, I'll probably get a brush hog for my tractor, and work on my Jeep some. However, I almost bought an ACOG...about the most overpriced 4x scope I've ever seen!!

If you had some extra cash, what would you buy yourself right now?
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:18:45 AM EDT
[#1]
The very first thing that comes to mind is....are your credit cards paid off? I know it's not as fun to pay off credit cards as it is to buy a new toy but paying them off is like putting money back in your pocket every month.

How are you doing on your food and water storage? I'd rather have $800 worth of extra food and water storage on hand before an ACOG. We're going to be in winter time before long now. Were you here for the last ice storm? Anything you would have liked to have during the storm?

Security, how about a security evaluation of your place? Upgrade your lighting? Install some extra motion / flood lights on the corners of your home? Alarm system for your home or maybe some extra contacts at some places that didn't have them before? Dakota Alert makes some nifty driveway sensors and stuff for us folks who live out in the country.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:29:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What to buy, what to buy, what to buy?

An ACOG, some improved night vision, spend the money on my Jeep truck, buy a brush hog mower?

Hard to decide. Tired of new guns! I have some I have never fired. A personal decision, I'll probably get a brush hog for my tractor, and work on my Jeep some. However, I almost bought an ACOG...about the most overpriced 4x scope I've ever seen!!

If you had some extra cash, what would you buy yourself right now?

What'cha got? I just put a set of headers and new exhaust on my 76 Jeep Honcho J-10, 360 4 speed. Still lack one turndown to finish. Gonna run by the parts store today and finish up this evening.

I also have a 77 J-10 258 automatic waiting on me to restore/mod it and a 78 J-10 360 automatic for parts.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:30:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I was wanting to get a new shotgun for the house and buy some land for sale near by......but I do have a card I need to work on and get some supplies built up
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:15:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Hmmmm.......Two Bravo's credit card idea isn't a bad idea at all. I don't owe very much anymore though. Been kicking ass on my credit card, although I could knock a chunk of my wifes cards.

Ice storm! I survived the last one ok. I have a couple generators, my own wells for water. No good to rat-hole food! I still have kids at home. They would eat up any emergency rations I bothered to stockpile, then you would just have bits and pieces of MRE's left.  

I own a Jeep J20, a 1984 model truck. I drove it to Enid yesterday and got some wood pellets from Atwoods. Fuel for the winter....trying to ditch this damn extra money! I could spend every penny of it on my Jeep. Think I'll get me a new AC compressor and receiver/dryer this afternoon for the mighty Jeep. I need a lot of stuff for the J20, but it runs great! I could make a list several pages long on shit I need for the Jeep, bed skins or new bed, front springs, AC compressor, headliner, seats, etc. Jeeps a long term project. I drive it all the time, and been just fixing up the mechanicals as I go. Body work will come along in due course.

My visions are a bit less muddeled now. I think I'll get some odds and ends I need for the Jeep, then see about getting a brushhog mower. Leftover cash can go to my wifes credit card.

ACOGs are just plain too high. I have a cheesy Russian night scope that works reasonably well, night vision is just too expensive for something I will likely never need.

I just know you guys are wanting AR carbines, wheel borrows full of mags, truck loads of ammo, H2 and H3 Hummers......regular lips sort of hummers.....all sorts of shit.

I know that there are things I want, but just have not thought of yet! I need more ideas.

Just thought of something! Small John boat. I saw what must have been an 8 or 10 footer in the back of a truck the other day. Setup as a little 2 man fishing boat. pretty cute.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:00:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Ok,

So if I read this right. You have money to burn. Its burning a hole in your pocket. Your wife has her own line of credit cards. They are not in very good shape.and your thinking about buying a boat.

Brother now if credit cards and loans were not that big of an issue then I would look into simple things. Start with First Aid and home fire suppression equipment.

Then I would go to building a bug out bag.

Next I would look into home security additions. Simple and cheap to do really and you can get a lot for your money now days.

Now I would look at dry goods storage. Kids are not going to sit down with a bag of flour and a spoon and eat them selves into a coma with this stuff. Not cereal and stuff. Real dry goods. Powdered this and that kinda stuff that lasts.

Auto maintenance. Extra belts fuel oil etc. Always try to keep at least the next maintenance interval on hand.

Now I would look into a locking cabinet for the other kind of dry goods. And stock it deep IMHO.

Next I would look into replacing clothing items that are wearing out. Shoes for example. You need at least one good pair of shoes in case you end up outdoors walking for a good distance. They should also be agile enough to run in. Not sprint but run as in a given distance.

After this I would look to your health and to your families health. Dental, eye, ear etc. After all they will be the ones watching your back "if" anything ever comes to pass.

Insert force multiplier preps here. What ever floats your boat. Keep in mind if your out and about you are not going to pack a million rounds on your truck and 40 rifles etc. Thats just not how things work. Sure it would be nice and all but you have to think about this realistically. If all you have is a Vulcan Carbon fiber AR then its time to upgrade to a quality piece or build one of quality components if theres something special your after. KISS. Acogs are nice but a 3x9 scope will defeat an Acog most any day when it comes to TGT ID. Unless you plan to run and gun like the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan then you should probably find something that will suit your needs a little better and taylor your settup to you not to Hollywood.

I could go on but I think you get the idea. As always YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I ain't got that much money!

Maybe I should just buy the carry handle ACOG and screw the brush hog and ridiculously tiny John Boat?

I'm not financially ready for for proper night vision either!.....I priced around a bit, and decided my neolithic Russian job will have to do!

I done got my Jeep parts.
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 6:28:54 AM EDT
[#7]
glad somebody's got some funds, hell I'm down to lint and dustbunnys in my pockets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top