Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2009 4:37:06 AM EDT
Yesterday at the Wagoner range there was a brand new sign that said "Paper and clay targets only."

I wonder if the range moms put it up just because they're tired of picking up the huge amount of crap people shoot and then leave on the Wagoner range, or if there is something like a statewide decision to get rid of steel targets.

Has anybody seen a sign like that at the other state ranges?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:51:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Yesterday at the Wagoner range there was a brand new sign that said "Paper and clay targets only."

I wonder if the range moms put it up just because they're tired of picking up the huge amount of crap people shoot and then leave on the Wagoner range, or if there is something like a statewide decision to get rid of steel targets.

I see nothing wrong with that. I hope it happens. Lexington is a garbage pit.
Comparing it to Dripping Springs is like night and day. I hope they do that to all of them.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:02:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see nothing wrong with that. I hope it happens. Lexington is a garbage pit.
Comparing it to Dripping Springs is like night and day. I hope they do that to all of them.

that was part of the reason the T-bird wma range got closed way back when.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:41:50 AM EDT
[#3]
The Wagoner range is a garbage dump for sure. I've waded through shot-up propane tanks, kid toys and computers(*)  that people have dragged in but couldn't be bothered to drag out again. If they're just trying to keep place cleaned up, it's fine with me too. The way it was worded made me wonder if there had been a rash of ricochets off those spinning steel targets and a new state-wide rule to save us.

The one thing people DO pick up there is reloadable brass. It's pretty rare to see anything besides .22LR and steel .223 cases left on the ground since the first of the year. I used to always be able to count on finding at least 20 brass .223 cases and the white box they came in next to a bench.

(*) Not that I wouldn't be willing to shoot any Windows PC I ever used.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 12:10:51 PM EDT
[#4]
wow I do feel sorry for you guys who have to use a public range...
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 12:51:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
wow I do feel sorry for you guys who have to use a public range...

I don't

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 1:43:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't either.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:14:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got plenty of places to shoot. From a gun club, friends' property, my property, country roads , and public hunting areas.
I have hunted on public hunting and had a great time. Even if I don't hunt there or shoot there often, I still want to see it fairly clean.
That being said, I may  be a hypocrite because I like shooting cans and probably always will. And have done it a lot at Lexington.  
But the value of a clean public hunting area shooting range is that it gives a dad teaching his children a decent place to shoot.
If the kids see a clean decent range, it sets a good example.
If they are shooting in a trash dump on public hunting areas, you can guess how they'll treat the areas and ranges when they get older.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:41:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've got plenty of places to shoot. From a gun club, friends' property, my property, country roads , and public hunting areas.
I have hunted on public hunting and had a great time. Even if I don't hunt there or shoot there often, I still want to see it fairly clean.
That being said, I may  be a hypocrite because I like shooting cans and probably always will. And have done it a lot at Lexington.  
But the value of a clean public hunting area shooting range is that it gives a dad teaching his children a decent place to shoot.
If the kids see a clean decent range, it sets a good example.
If they are shooting in a trash dump on public hunting areas, you can guess how they'll treat the areas and ranges when they get older.

+1 to that.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:12:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't either.

This
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:33:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't either.

This

Next time you call a shoot up at Canton, I'll come if I can.
Canton is one of the few WMA that I have always enjoyed hunting.
And the range below the dam is fairly nice.
Sure want it to stay that way.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:39:35 PM EDT
[#11]
i spent an hour one day hauling trash and junk that people had shot at back to my truck and unloaded it into my dumpster from the Wagoner range( i had my little boy helping). only to go back 2 weeks later to find almost exactly the same crap had been placed back there.

i dont shoot there often, maybe 8-12 times a year. its handy. i wish i had the gida to spend on a private range, but all my cash is usually spent on the boys schooling.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:53:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Dident know all yall lived so close to wagoner. I'm about 15 from there. Wagoner range shoot anyone!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:04:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Dident know all yall lived so close to wagoner. I'm about 15 from there. Wagoner range shoot anyone!

interesting???? tell me more??
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:53:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd be up for it. I'm in Tulsa but I shoot at Wagoner more than I do any place else.

I like the new range improvements, like that recycled shotgun shell bridge so you don't have to ford the river anymore.

Hey, we could call the shoot "The Day-Late-and-Dollar-Short Turnpike Meet, Eastern Division" for us guys that missed the Dripping Springs day.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:48:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Shoot some clays and have a 100 yard open sight competition!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:22:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Usually I go to that range during late mornings on weekdays, so if anybody else likes to hit the range then too, I'd arrange my shooting trip to meet some fellow arfcommers.

But I know most people have to save their shooting for weekends, so maybe we oughta start a new thread and see who might be interested in a weekend shoot and what day?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:11:40 AM EDT
[#17]
I do most of my shooting during the week because that's where the days off land.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top