Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2007 8:25:35 PM EDT
I had some questions and even though I’ve spent the last 2 hours reading regs I still am not clear, and I hoped you could help.

-Is there a mag cap limit for crow hunting, and if so what is it?

-Is there a mag cap limit on coyote hunting, and if so what is it, and do you have to have a furbearers license to coyote hunt?

-Is there a mag cap limit on hogs, and if so what is it?

-From what I gather, the mag cap limit is 5 for deer right?

Edit to ask: are these 5+1 chambered, or 4+1?

-This is more for CCW but a buddy was saying that permit holders are now allowed to carry loaded long guns in their vehicles. BS, or can I keep the shoti behind the truck seat?

Thanks in advance.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 8:33:31 PM EDT
[#1]
No mag limit on shotguns unless you are hunting federal migratory birds like doves, geese, ducks, and cranes.
There is not a mag limit on a center fire rifle for hunting deer EXCEPT on 223s. You can only have 7 rds in the mag/chamber..
No mag limit on coyotes and hogs.
To carry a long gun in the vehicle with a loaded mag but NOTHING CHAMBERED is OK but you should have a good reason to do so. besides having a SDA license. I have a farm tag on my truck and I always have the excuse for the loaded rifle in my truck - coyotes and dogs on my property.
How are you going to answer the police officer when he asks you what an 8 shot riot gun is doing in your back seat? Just in case you get road rage?
Put it in your trunk/locked tool box, etc with NOTHING CHAMBERED and you should be OK as far as carrying a long gun.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:09:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Farm Trucks from www.tax.ok.gov/mv4f.html

Farm trucks are trucks or truck tractors utilized primarily in an agricultural capacity. The annual registration fee is $36.00.

To qualify for farm truck registration, one (1) of the following must be presented:

Current Agriculture Exemption Permit (SMX) issued by the Oklahoma Tax Commission
Schedule F from the most recent tax year federal income tax return

I guess a schedule F is the easiest way to qualify for the tag, but the word "primarily" would be a concern.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:00:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I had some questions and even though I’ve spent the last 2 hours reading regs I still am not clear, and I hoped you could help.

-Is there a mag cap limit for crow hunting, and if so what is it?  No mag limit

-Is there a mag cap limit on coyote hunting, and if so what is it, and do you have to have a furbearers license to coyote hunt?  Furbearer license is not needed for coyotes, it is needed for fox or bobcat.

-Is there a mag cap limit on hogs, and if so what is it?  No mag limit

-From what I gather, the mag cap limit is 5 for deer right?  22 centerfire limit is 7 rounds in magazine

Edit to ask: are these 5+1 chambered, or 4+1?  22 centerfire limit is 7 rounds in magazine

-This is more for CCW but a buddy was saying that permit holders are now allowed to carry loaded long guns in their vehicles. BS, or can I keep the shoti behind the truck seat?

Thanks in advance.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:07:16 AM EDT
[#4]
The farm tag system in Oklahoma is a bad joke.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:50:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
No mag limit on shotguns unless you are hunting federal migratory birds like doves, geese, ducks, and cranes.
There is not a mag limit on a center fire rifle for hunting deer EXCEPT on 223s. You can only have 7 rds in the mag/chamber..
To carry a long gun in the vehicle with a loaded mag but NOTHING CHAMBERED is OK but you should have a good reason to do so. besides having a SDA license. I have a farm tag on my truck and I always have the excuse for the loaded rifle in my truck - coyotes and dogs on my property.
How are you going to answer the police officer when he asks you what an 8 shot riot gun is doing in your back seat? Just in case you get road rage?

Put it in your trunk/locked tool box, etc with NOTHING CHAMBERED and you should be OK as far as carrying a long gun.

Thats the way i uderstood it to read also that part in red above is hinky dan you get someone in a jam unless the laws been changed

When did they change the law on that???
Last time i read it a shotgun(cant rember if rifle was included but i think so) could be magazine loaded nothing in the chamber  but it had to be in the trunk or locked in a toolbox on a truck....... their were no provisions for inside the cab or inside a car......
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:00:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats the way i uderstood it to read also that part in red above is hinky dan you get someone in a jam unless the laws been changed

When did they change the law on that???
Last time i read it a shotgun(cant rember if rifle was included but i think so) could be magazine loaded nothing in the chamber  but it had to be in the trunk or locked in a toolbox on a truck....... their were no provisions for inside the cab or inside a car......

TRANSPORTING A LOADED FIREARM

Except as otherwise provided by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act or another provision of law, it shall be unlawful to transport a loaded pistol, rifle or shotgun in a landborne motor vehicle over a public highway or roadway. However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported when clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle.

Any person convicted of a violation of this section shall be punished as provided in Section 1289.15 of this title.

Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle wherein another person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry a concealed handgun and is carrying a concealed handgun or has concealed the handgun in such vehicle, shall not be deemed in violation of the provisions of this section provided the licensee is in or near the vehicle.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:58:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Dan, that helps me out on the CCW deal, and thanks to the rest of you for help with the hunting questions. BTW today was the first day of crow season, anyone try for any? I sat in a field and watched 'em circle high over head calling to one another and then the sun went down.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:25:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Your welcome.
It turned into a funny thing in local courts with LEOs having charges filed for a loaded long gun in the vehicle and not pressing charges when the same person has a loaded handgun on them because they have their SDA permit.
Just remember, a loaded gun - one chambereed - even in a locked trunk is a FELONY for anyone who doesn't have an SDA permit.
That means if I leave a loaded pistol  and one in the chamber in the trunk of your wife's car, even in a case, it is a felony if an LEO has reason to search her vehicle because she doesn't have an SDA permit..
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:01:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Two conflicting versions from OCSN.net.

Section 1289.13 - Transporting a Loaded Firearm

TRANSPORTING A LOADED FIREARM

Except as otherwise provided by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act or another provision of law, it shall be unlawful to transport a loaded pistol, rifle or shotgun in a landborne motor vehicle over a public highway or roadway. However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior compartment of the vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.7 of this title when the person is in possession of a valid handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.

Any person convicted of a violation of this section shall be punished as provided in Section 1289.15 of this title.

Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle wherein another person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry a concealed handgun and is carrying a concealed handgun or has concealed a handgun or rifle or shotgun in such vehicle shall not be deemed in violation of the provisions of this section provided the licensee is in or near the vehicle.

Next version from another section:

Section 1289.7 - Firearms in Motor Vehicles - Exceptions

Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle, shotgun or pistol, open and unloaded, at any time. For purposes of this section "open" means the firearm is transported in plain view, in a case designed for carrying firearms, which case is wholly or partially visible, in a gun rack mounted in the vehicle, in an exterior locked compartment or a trunk of a vehicle.

Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle or shotgun concealed behind a seat of the vehicle or within the interior of the vehicle provided the rifle or shotgun is not clip, magazine or chamber loaded. The authority to transport a clip or magazine loaded rifle or shotgun shall be pursuant to Section 1289.13 of this title.

Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle wherein another person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Sections 1290.1 through 1290.25 of Title 21 of the Oklahoma Statutes, to carry a concealed handgun and is carrying a concealed handgun or has concealed the handgun in such vehicle, shall not be deemed in violation of the provisions of this section provided the licensee is in or near the vehicle.

Read it however you want. It is definitely confusing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top