Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2007 12:15:16 PM EDT
and that was me! Best two hours I've spent in a long time. No one on the bench rest range, no one on the silhouette range.
Last 5 shots from a bench was 5 rams down at 500 meters!
The friggin' turkeys gave me hell again. Only 3 down out of 5 shots at 380 meters!
But I was shooting due north with a 10 to 12 mph SE wind!
The only bad thing was it took me about 10 too many shots to bring the rifle in with the  ammo I was using.
It would be nice to have someone spotting for me, or me spotting for them!
I'll give an open invitation to any one who can and wants to shoot some nice weekday in the near future!
Who's up for it?
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:16:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I will have to take you up on that offer.  I have been wanting to check the range out anyway.  Sent you an email!
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 7:10:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Didn't get your email yet but you are certainly welcome to come shoot with me.
Hopefully, there won't be any there but us!
Hell, we might even get Josh-L to go with us. He's got a rifle that makes every body's else's look like junk!
I mean like in a SUPER nice rifle.
Of course, he probably needs some lessons in how to shoot it from us, Sumo!
After I showed him show to shoot a handgun, he's opened a can of whup ass on me every  time we went!
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#3]
There was one guy on the benchrest range when I got there, a little while later he left, a few minutes later another guy showed up, he did his shooting and then left, then another guy showed up.  So there was a fair amount of action on the benchrest range this afternoon!

Thursdays in general are pretty quiet though.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:42:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Are ranges all y'all can shoot at?  No open desert shooting, BLM land?  
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:25:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Dan's right.  He is the best pistol coach I've ever had!  Ok maybe not, I just started practicing really hard after I got schooled my an old gimp the first time.

I'm off on Wed. March 7th.  Wingman needs to come out to so I can check out that shorty 870.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:28:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

We are talking about a private gun club.  It has like 8 different ranges or something.  One range is the "benchrest" range that has a covered section with benches and paper targets out to 300 yards.  The silloette range or however you spell it is all steel knock down targets of different animals from 100m to 500m.  Then they have a 600 yard highpower range with the big pop up targets in the pit.  Then a few pistol ranges and IPSC setups and shotgun stuff.  As long as a match isn't going on you can use whatever range you want.  That is as long as you have the "special" shed codes.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:31:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Heck, I'm in Dan!  I've been trying to figure out the rules at the sillouette range anyhow!
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:58:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We are talking about a private gun club.  It has like 8 different ranges or something.  One range is the "benchrest" range that has a covered section with benches and paper targets out to 300 yards.  The silloette range or however you spell it is all steel knock down targets of different animals from 100m to 500m.  Then they have a 600 yard highpower range with the big pop up targets in the pit.  Then a few pistol ranges and IPSC setups and shotgun stuff.  As long as a match isn't going on you can use whatever range you want.  That is as long as you have the "special" shed codes.

Gotcha.

But CAN you open shoot in the desert/woods?  Personally, I detest all ranges unless they allow BBQ and beer for lunch.  

I prefer to go somewhere and be all alone where I can shoot to my heart's content, safe from the fudds and the gangsta types being idiots next to me.  That's what I'm asking.  Can I find a spot in the desert/woods, set up some cans, and blast away?  
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:18:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Richard, 99% of the land in Oklahoma is privately owned. There is no BLM land to speak of.
Most farmers and ranchers are damned particular who let they shoot over their dirt because of cattle and livestock. You either use a public range, private land, or a private club.

They had the silhouettes out on the range - rams, turkeys, and pigs for the 300, 380, and 500 meters. Some brainiac braced up the permanent steel targets so it they can't swing when hit. You can tell if you hit the ram or steel rail beneath it.
The thing is after you shoot, you need to go down and set up the rams and other silhouettes  after you knocked them down. (I'll be glad to show you how to hit them, Josh! )

Wingman, I was out there from 11:00 till 1:00 or so. Wished I'd been there when you were.
But I had to put some corn in a feeder yesterday afternoon and check on the Ol Bud.
Feb 28 the old turd will be 105! Maybe I'll catch you out there one of these Thursdays!
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:37:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Where is this range you speak of?
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:57:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The OKC Gun Club - north and east of OKC by Arcadia.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 1:13:59 PM EDT
[#12]
There are some ranges on some of the Wildlife Management Areas, also you can shoot or hunt on some of the Corps of Engineers lands, but most of that is in eastern Okla, not much around OKC.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 1:32:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The OKC Gun Club - north and east of OKC by Arcadia.

Sounds cool. The next time I am staying the weekend in OKC at a friend's place, I'll be sure to let you know and bring a couple of firearms along. I'd like to see that.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:02:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Is there only a certain time of year to join there?  I'm starting to get bored with only being able to shoot out to 200yds at Tri-City.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:43:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Is there only a certain time of year to join there? ...

People fill out applications by October/November and if accepted, become members around the end of  the following February. Seems like they have a long waiting list. They currently have over 1200 members with less-than-sterling attendance at scheduled club competitive shoots.
If you show up at several of the shoots, pay extra to participate because you are not a member, make some friends with the boys running the shoots, you might get in sooner.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:22:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Is there only a certain time of year to join there?  I'm starting to get bored with only being able to shoot out to 200yds at Tri-City.

Everything you wanted to know:
www.okcgunclub.org/genrl_info.html

I don't think they have too much of a waiting list right now, one of the guys at the benchrest range was a new member, sent in application a couple of months ago, went through orientation in January.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 1:26:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is there only a certain time of year to join there? ...

People fill out applications by October/November and if accepted, become members around the end of  the following February. Seems like they have a long waiting list. They currently have over 1200 members with less-than-sterling attendance at scheduled club competitive shoots.
If you show up at several of the shoots, pay extra to participate because you are not a member, make some friends with the boys running the shoots, you might get in sooner.

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 1:30:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Everything you wanted to know:
www.okcgunclub.org/genrl_info.html

I don't think they have too much of a waiting list right now, one of the guys at the benchrest range was a new member, sent in application a couple of months ago, went through orientation in January.

I just looked at the website.  Looks like I missed joining this year.  I wish you could join year round.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 2:44:54 PM EDT
[#19]
There is a second go around if some don't show for the orientation. They usually call people that are on the waiting list. If there isn't a waiting list, you might be able to get on this year.
I don't know if there was a waiting list or if some didn't show for orientation.  Call and find out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top