Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2006 6:24:38 PM EDT
I was shipping a gun back for repairs to Walther. I called walther and they told me to ship it Fed-Ex next day and tell them it was machine parts.
I taped it up in a box and dropped it off at Parcels-Pluss on Danforth in Edmond.
They called me an hour later and told me I needed to come get my pistol.
They had opened my package and looked inside.
I can't belive they did that.
They also called the police, but I didn't break any laws.
WTF is wrong with this country?
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 6:54:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I shipped a handgun a couple of months ago and the lady at the counter told me I could save money and ship it ground and had no problem with it.  I thought I had to ship it next day.  Was it because you labeled it machine parts?
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 10:35:04 PM EDT
[#2]
holy cow!
isn't there something that says they can't open packages?  that is messed up.  I would have said, yeah, there was also something very very valuable in there and now it is gone.
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 11:18:54 PM EDT
[#3]
The problem was he used a package type store instead of a Fed Ex hub.

Not that it should matter, but it does, sadly.

Link Posted: 12/21/2006 2:50:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Yup.

Screw them stores.

Ship direct from the Fed-Ex hub.
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 4:03:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I noticed when I was at the UPS hub the other day there was a sign that said "UPS reserves the right to open and inspect all packages"
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I shipped a handgun a couple of months ago and the lady at the counter told me I could save money and ship it ground and had no problem with it.  I thought I had to ship it next day.  Was it because you labeled it machine parts?

Well she was wrong.... it is a law all hanguns are suposed to be overnighted....

BTW same deal here you cant ship any type of firearm from one of the stores has to be from the main hub ....
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well she was wrong.... it is a law all hanguns are suposed to be overnighted....

BTW same deal here you cant ship any type of firearm from one of the stores has to be from the main hub ....

I thought that it was just company policy because too many employees were helping themselves? Not true?
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 7:09:44 PM EDT
[#8]
negative that's an ATF thing........ i agree it's bullshit....... but it is an ATF rule/law
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 7:29:19 PM EDT
[#9]
acman I'd double check that on the actual ATF site.  I looked here and couldn't find anything... http://www.atf.treas.gov/regulations/27cfr178.html.  Admittedly I wasn't going to spend hours going through all that.  I did read 178.31 and 178.32 on shipment of firearms and didn't see anything about overnighting handguns.  I also searched the whole page for the word "overnight" and came up with nothing.

It's FedEx and UPS policy that dictates you have to send handguns overnight.
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 7:42:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I was shipping a gun back for repairs to Walther. I called walther and they told me to ship it Fed-Ex next day and tell them it was machine parts.
I taped it up in a box and dropped it off at Parcels-Pluss on Danforth in Edmond.
They called me an hour later and told me I needed to come get my pistol.
They had opened my package and looked inside.
I can't belive they did that.
They also called the police, but I didn't break any laws.
WTF is wrong with this country?

I wouldn't get too depressed about the state of the country.  It's just the jerk-offs that work at places like Parcels Plus, Mailboxes Etc., Love Box Co etc...  They seem to make up their own shipping policies on a whim and they have nothing to do with FedEx or UPS policy.  You got busted by the morons at Parcels Plus not FedEx.  

My secret to hassle free firearms shipment is this...  Set up an online account with FedEx.  Do all the stuff to create and pay for the shipment through the FedEx site.  After you're done you'll print the actual FedEx barcode label on your printer and affix it to your sealed package containing your toy.  Take your now labelled package to a FedEx hub or FedEx staffed drop off site and hand it over the counter.  They'll barely give it a second's attention before taking it and dropping it in the appropriate shipping bin.  This is exactly how I've shipped many, many firearms and I've never had any trouble at all when following this process.
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 7:43:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
....It's FedEx and UPS policy that dictates you have to send handguns overnight.

I believe Scott is right according to Gun Broker's Firearms Shipping Guide
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 8:20:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll have to look and see if i can find it in my big ass book from the atf (when i get bored it's to late tonight )...... i've never actually "read" that law...... but when they did the interview for the FFL they atf agent made a point to tell me all pistols were required to be shipped overnight i just took her word for it.......

Then again nothing with the atf is written in stone they can change their mind overnight....... atkins acelorator is a perfect example of that
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 11:22:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I think it is strange the average citizen can't ship a handgun via USPS but a licensed dealer can if they fill out the right form.
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 1:46:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'll have to look and see if i can find it in my big ass book from the atf (when i get bored it's to late tonight )...... i've never actually "read" that law...... but when they did the interview for the FFL they atf agent made a point to tell me all pistols were required to be shipped overnight i just took her word for it.......

Then again nothing with the atf is written in stone they can change their mind overnight....... atkins acelorator is a perfect example of that

An FFL can ship via USPS ground.....it is a FedEx and UPS rule, not law.....the ATF agent was FOS!!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 2:17:53 PM EDT
[#15]
My memory is shit .....

I was looking in the book last nigh before i went to bed last night ...... i couldn't find anything that said you had to ship it next day acording to the book........ my wife asked me what i was doing and i told her....... She said that is what the atf agent told us....... but she also said i was discussing this with someone else 2~ yrs ago and came up with the same thing it's not in the book i cant remember this for the life of me.......   so i guess if you weren't told by an atf agent how to ship them do it however you can as long as it legal

Me personally i wouldn't ship a hangun anything but overnight because i was told by an atf agent not to

Link Posted: 1/1/2007 3:44:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Did they refund your money?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top