Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2006 6:46:33 AM EDT
Season opens on Saturday,

Be carefull and have a great hunt, we want everyone to come back home.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:44:38 PM EDT
[#1]
damn funny thing about the season is that its still referred to as "blackpowder" season, you can't even buy a pound of blackpowder at any shop in the metro that I frequent anymore,

I've been told its because the insurance liability is too high, but wtf do I know about it,

I know for sure that my 50cal muzzleloader preferrs 110 grains of FFg GOEX under a 385grHBHP bufflo bullet to the equivilent RS pyrodex load under the same bullet,

and I know I've never had a hang/misfire using bp with #11caps like I have with pyrodex,

never have tried the 777 or other brand ?, or any of the pellets since I've read the #11s won't reliably set them off,

if I get the chance to go out this year, its gonna be with a patched .495 round ball since the scrubs kinda thick and shots will be at 50yards or less,

I did look at a 209 primed inline with a 28" 1 in 28 twist barrel at walmart the other night, I just couldn't justify the $225 pricetag for a gun I'd only shoot a few times a year, when I already got one I've used for years and has proven itself several times.

to all ya'll that do make it out, then good luck, theres a lot of deer out there this year.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 1:24:02 PM EDT
[#2]
L,
you dont have to spend over $200 for a modern day muzzle laoder, get a NEF Sidekick, $160.

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 2:14:31 PM EDT
[#3]
so hows those shoot? do they use 209 primers?

I looked at three different inlines, a TC, CVA, and a SS Traditions,

the traditions was $225, I liked it because it was stainless and had a 28" barrel.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
so hows those shoot? do they use 209 primers?

I looked at three different inlines, a TC, CVA, and a SS Traditions,

the traditions was $225, I liked it because it was stainless and had a 28" barrel.

Mine shoots great,

Yes they use 209 primers.

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 2:40:46 PM EDT
[#5]
whats the load you use?

the loose powder or pellets?

saboted pistol bullet or plain lead bullet?

is it scoped?
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 2:54:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
whats the load you use?

the loose powder or pellets?

saboted pistol bullet or plain lead bullet?

is it scoped?

100gr powder

pellots, 2 50gr.

240gr jhp sabot

Simmons whitetail classic scope.

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Matt has one of the NEFs with a scope. It's a 50 cal. He has used 130 gr of  Pyrodex RS with a 45 230 gr HP sabot. Don't use the pellets. It gives erratic igniton and groups. I spent half a day with him last year getting that scoped inline on target.
He still likes his TC Renegade, a plain old tradional rifle., which he may use tomorrow.
I started digging our stuff out. All of our shots should be under 75 yds, maybe 90 at the most.  
I'm still using plain blackpowder - 110 gr of FFFX with a patched 170 ball. Pretty much the same load Matt uses in his Renegade. Not worth a damn past 100!
1shott, we're gonna hunt the CRP grass. If Matt sees a wall hanger, he's gonna bust it. If I see one, I'm gonna save it for you! No kidding!
We've only got about 1100 acres to check out this week end. So it's gonna be fast and furious!
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 4:52:58 PM EDT
[#8]
damn man, now I want to upgrade,

won't be this year though, maybe after seasons over I'll pick one up on clearence or in a pawn shop.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:26:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, the deer were headed out of the wheat when I was pulling in 30 minutes before the sun came up. This evening, they were coming out just as I was leaving 30 minutes after sun down. We watched 8 or 9 playing on a damn across the road - a place we can't hunt. They came across the road and into the wheat at dark-thirty!!!!
I got out and walked some in the CRP/border area and saw little sign. Not that much crap or tracks, no rubs.
I did kick a few out of some cedars but I never got a shot at them.
This year it looks like I'm gonna have to hunt for them, no give mes!
That is what makes deer hunting fun!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:34:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I saw 2 yearlings, walked within 20 feet of me, I let them pass.

Heard some hogs in the brush across from me, about 40 yards out, I could see the brush moving around and hear the hogs, but they never stepped out so I could not get a shot.

That was it, heard no shots form other hunters as well, odd to, normally it sounds like a war zone.

Tommorrow afternoon, I am going to scout a old area I used to hunt, then on Monday, get serious about the whole thing.

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:14:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I saw 2 yearlings, walked within 20 feet of me, I let them pass...

Were you hunting from a tree or on the ground?
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:32:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I saw 2 yearlings, walked within 20 feet of me, I let them pass...

Were you hunting from a tree or on the ground?

Ground.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:56:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Aw, grasshopper, you are learning well! One day you too shall be a master!
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:43:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I had 2 does less than 20 yards from me & they never knew I was there. Never saw a buck though. May take my bow tomorrow & also my muzzleloader to at least get a doe with the bow & a buck (if I see one) with the ML..
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:56:17 PM EDT
[#15]
when I was leaving for work this morning, the big buck and two does that hang around my place were standing about 50' from my front door,

they just stood and watched me walk to the car, the buck snorted a few times but never even acted like it was gonna run,

I'm thinking if they're back there in the morning, I might just load up and take a crack at him.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:02:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
...I'm thinking if they're back there in the morning, I might just load up and take a crack at him.

Gonna make soup out of those antlers, bubba?
I agree it's neat to take a big rack every once in a while to prove what hunters we are, but the meat does taste like sh*t! The only consolation is that we would have something to rib 1shott with!
I'm giving my knee a rest this morning but will go this afternoon. I tried to get PC and his brother in law to help us walk out 160 acres of grass and thickets this weekend but it didn't work out. It takes 5 or 6 guys to do it right. That method works there because we have killed 10 to 12 deer there in the last 8 or so years.
I can't walk too far right now without tendons swelling. I went over a mile last night which is damn good for just 10 weeks since a knee replacement.
The fact I am gimped up still, the deer are being real spooky in the daylight by laying up, that the wheat is low and thin because of the drought, is making this year a challenging one.
So getting a big smart buck is going to be real difficult this year. So I might just do it to prove what a great hunter I am! It probably won't happen cuz Matt will get there way ahead of me!
I'm going this evening and gonna take Old Bud. He can't walk too far but he can stay in the truck and watch for me. I think it will be a real gift of the Good Lord if he gets a shot and kills another buck this year during rifle season. I'm still astonished at his good fortune and blessing last year to see a 103 yo man shoot a buck. To do it at 104 will be amazing!
I hope everyone's enjoyment in deer hunting this year exceeds the fun I've had in the last couple of years! I got some pics and gave to my neighbor (farm next to mine) to show his 11 yo son. Got the boy wound up and ready to kill a buck or deer! That will make my year if he does!
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:18:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Going scouting in a little while.

I decided to sleep in today, was not feeling well anyway, damn chest pain.

My buddy called around 7am said he over slept, I said no problem, so did I.

So we are going to get a ATV ride toghter for today, go out enjoy a long ATV ride/scouting season, and maybe have a cookout.

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:19:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...I'm thinking if they're back there in the morning, I might just load up and take a crack at him.

Gonna make soup out of those antlers, bubba?
I agree it's neat to take a big rack every once in a while to prove what hunters we are, but the meat does taste like sh*t! The only consolation is that we would have something to rib 1shott with!

nah man, was gonna mount them on the hood of my truck for the next shoot together HT has, so 1shott could see what a very nice 10 point rack looks like up close

I had the chance this morning to shoot him, but I was lazy, I didn't get off work till nearly 3am, and I came back in at 9am,

same thing as yestarday morn, they just stood there and watched me walk to the car,

they'll still be there again tommorrow......maybe, and if they arn't then they'll be there later,

I seen a much bigger one down at my parents place last month, I'm hoping no one shoots it, we need to keep the great genetic stock around,

there are some very decent heavy antlered bucks around there, but nothing like the big bruiser I seen, his bases looked as thick as my wrist, shit load of points and he had a drop tine on one side and the other stuck strait out the side.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

damn man, between your job, jimmy and Dan teasin about deer, you ain't gonna live much longer less you rid yourself of some stress,

best stress releiver I've found is getting laid regular like.................., that and smoking and drinking,

mix all three together and you've got platnum.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:38:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

damn man, between your job, jimmy and Dan teasin about deer, you ain't gonna live much longer less you rid yourself of some stress,

best stress releiver I've found is getting laid regular like.................., that and smoking and drinking,

I must have a death wish.........I'm married (for you single guys, this means NO sex or at least way less than when single) and I quit smoking almost 4 years ago.  The only thing keeping me alive is Crown & Coke and beer!
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:04:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I must have a death wish.........I'm married (for you single guys, this means NO sex or at least way less than when single) and I quit smoking almost 4 years ago.  The only thing keeping me alive is Crown & Coke and beer!

no shit man, I ain't married nomore and that initself was a big relief, but I'd like to thank the drunk, desparate and horny chicks around norman, littleaxe and okc, and a big thanks to God,  jackdaniels, jim beam, hl wellers along with the fine people at winston salem tobacco and the cokecola bottle co. for their concern in my health and mental well being,

without their continual support in these trying times, I'd be a mean Goddamned sonofabitch most of the time.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:31:31 PM EDT
[#22]
All I saw today was 2 does, and guess where? Give up?

They were standing by my truck when I pulled up on my ATV well after dark...

They know, I am telliong yall they friggen know...

I am seeing way to many pig tracks, but no piggies tonight either,

Heading around 4:30 in the am, so I need tog et soem rest.

Yes my chest is still sore, left side, feels like I have been lifting wieghts and pullled a muscle or something, damn thing hurts like all hell.

NO you cant have my guns, but I will sell a couple.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
All I saw today was 2 does, and guess where? Give up?

They were standing by my truck when I pulled up on my ATV well after dark...

They know, I am telliong yall they friggen know...

I am seeing way to many pig tracks, but no piggies tonight either,

Heading around 4:30 in the am, so I need tog et soem rest.

Yes my chest is still sore, left side, feels like I have been lifting wieghts and pullled a muscle or something, damn thing hurts like all hell.

NO you cant have my guns, but I will sell a couple.

I'll give you $75 for the NEF muzzle loader after seasons over.

hell as for the chest, if your not short of breath just setting there watching the tube, or dizzy, then you'll be alright for another day, at least nothing a nitro tab, naked chick and shot of whisky wouldn't cure.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#24]
I played footsie with a nice buck today. Never got close enough to take him with a muzzle loader - about 150 to 200 yds on two occasions this evening. Matt had some does close by this afternoon, sitting in the ladder stand, watching the feeder go off. Meanwhile Dad is out busting his ass in the CRP grass and thickets looking for the deer!
ACman made a comment about fair chase a week or so ago. I've got to thank him for that cuz it's made me get off my ass and back on my feet to hunt like I use too!
I kicked that buck up, then went straight back the way I came, and watched him circle me. I could have got a shot if I'd pushed it. But my knee is still a little wobbly but doing great for time I've had to heal!
I have an uncle that always tells someone where the deer is and tells them to go kick them up. The turd will then follow whoever he points in that direction to catch the deer circling the sucker he sent out.
He once tried that on me but he didn't know that I had caught on to him. I walked in a ways, then sidestepped a hundred yards or so, and paralled him when he entered and kicked the deer up. I shot a nice buck to his dismay. Pissed him off royally at the time and still does.
He's wanting to hunt with us this year but I told him there aren't any deer out there with his name on  them. It sure locks his jaw up!
1shott, depending on the direction of the wind, I've got a great setup for a 250 yd shot on some deer in the wheat. If it's from the south, we're screwed. If it's from the north, you may get that wall hanger! And the neat thing, you've only got to climb a 10 ft embankment, go over a barb wire fence and sit - 25 yds off the road!
I can't really promise a trophy buck but I'm damn sure hoping we get you one!
Last year a dick head set a blind up in the middle of that field and screwed everybody up. He is the son-in-law of the farmer leasing the ground for the wheat. Anyway, my mean ass and sweet cousin set it in the contract NO BLINDS and he must check with me before hunting. Gosh - I love that gal!
Matt has taken several deer from that field.
I took a buddy and his son two years ago. They hunted for total of 30 minutes while Old Bud and I watched them from around 500 yds.
You have a real strong chance unless some a-hole screws it up this year.

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#25]
i got back from MO last night and this morning i talked to landowner where i hunt. he gave me a good area to hunt. windy as shit today though. i just sat down under a pins tree real close and waited. did have a bobcat walk by me about 30 feet out. didn't seem to see me or care to take notice. i'll be there early tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:44:36 PM EDT
[#26]
My old man told me last night that he got 3 shots off with black powder before he shot the dang deer....hahahaha. 1st one was with his .50 cal fire stick rifle....shot over it, next 2 with his .45 cal firestick revolver pistol, last shot....he scooted around a tree, reloadin his rifle while the deaf deer walked towards him, keepin the tree, for the most part kinda, between him n the deer......got reloaded and shot the thing n took out part of its backbone n that main artery runnin across the back....dropped his little butt right there. Only a button buck, checked in a doe weighin in at 75-ish lbs, so he's off this weekend to take a good buck......LOL....shot at the deaf thing 4 times! hahahaha  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top