Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/21/2006 11:42:49 PM EDT
Kidding a bit there, but I need to know about the OKC area.  What to do, where to live (cheaply!), and any other pertinent info about the area.  I have an interview in a bit and the job sounds like I have it even before the interview.  If I take the job, I'll need to know about the area.

ETA:  The reason I need to be on the cheap side is the fact that I still have a house in GA, and the real estate market for older houses in the ATL area is cold  (freezing more like it), and I still need to make payments on my house till it sells!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:24:23 AM EDT
[#1]
By your username I'm assuming you'll be working out of Will Rogers. The most convenient "cheap" places to there are Yukon, Mustang, SW OKC, and far west OKC. You'd be 10-15 minutes away from the airport at any of those. Those places are also fairly close to a public shooting range (Canadian Valley in El Reno.) If you have kids, I would only consider portions of Oklahoma City that are in school districts OTHER THAN Oklahoma City. The Oklahoma City Public School District SUCKS.

If you can live a little further from the airport, the best kept secret right now is Tuttle in Grady County. Property taxes are MUCH lower than Oklahoma, Cleveland, or Canadian Counties and you're still 30 minutes or so from the airport (and close to Tri City Gun Club).

At any rate, there are beaucoup good places (in my mind) in the OKC area and housing still seems to be some of the cheapest in the country.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:35:15 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If you can live a little further from the airport, the best kept secret right now is Tuttle in Grady County. Property taxes are MUCH lower than Oklahoma, Cleveland, or Canadian Counties and you're still 30 minutes or so from the airport (and close to Tri City Gun Club).

Don't be letting out the secret, until a background check and weapon inventory is done on the out-of-towners.

signed - a Tuttle-ite
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:47:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't be letting out the secret, until a background check and weapon inventory is done on the out-of-towners.

signed - a Tuttle-ite

Ok inventory?  Here's a partial one.

Happy now?

ETA seroiously thanks for the tips.  I have done some looking around on an apartments website, and I have seen some 1 brs in the 375-400/mo.  Are they even cheaper in Tuttle?  A bit of a drive into work isn't bad.  I currently drive 44 miles one way.

ETA again:  I have a non-running S-10 pickup.  Any apartment complex obvoiusly woud not allow me to work on my car in the lot, so where ever I end up, I may need to find a place to store it till I have the time to get it running.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Welcome to Oklahoma.  

Far SW OKC is good, as are the Blanchard, Newcastle, and Tuttle areas.  Norman is overpriced and yuppie (its a college town).  Far NW OKC is snooty, and not all that great for what you pay.  Yukon is a good option as well.

Since you're used to long drives to work, you can good a good cheap place away out yonder where the coyotes howl and love it.  I listen to them most every night.

I was a social worker for twelve years in OKC, and if you'll post the addresses (closest intersection) of places you're considering, I can give an idea of the demographics.

NB we don't call ourselves 'Sooners'... that is a football team.  I reckon most of us call ourselves Okies.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:17:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Tuttle doesn't have many apartment buildings, everything here would be a house.  There are several in town for rent, it is a typical small town - some are nice some are want-to-be-crack-houses.
I drive to NW OKC and it is only 30 miles, the airport is much closer.  Traffic is a joke - OKC is a very easy town to get around in 90% of the time.

Nice collection!

edit - look at Newsok for the classifieds...
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:40:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Welcome to Oklahoma.  

Far SW OKC is good, as are the Blanchard, Newcastle, and Tuttle areas.  Norman is overpriced and yuppie (its a college town).  Far NW OKC is snooty, and not all that great for what you pay.  Yukon is a good option as well.

Since you're used to long drives to work, you can good a good cheap place away out yonder where the coyotes howl and love it.  I listen to them most every night.

I was a social worker for twelve years in OKC, and if you'll post the addresses (closest intersection) of places you're considering, I can give an idea of the demographics.

NB we don't call ourselves 'Sooners'... that is a football team.  I reckon most of us call ourselves Okies.

Well I'm a Buckeye by birth so one of the schools I follow has the initals of OSU
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:28:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Welcome to Oklahoma.  

Well I'm a Buckeye by birth so one of the schools I follow has the initals of OSU

You will need to locate to Stillwater with talk like that.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I would suggest NW OKC, Edmond, Deer Creek or Piedmont.  Lester suggested some good places, but ask him where he lives!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

signed - a Tuttle-ite

Ok inventory?  Here's a partial one.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=31085

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=31083

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=36687

Happy now?

ETA seroiously thanks for the tips.  I have done some looking around on an apartments website, and I have seen some 1 brs in the 375-400/mo.  Are they even cheaper in Tuttle?  A bit of a drive into work isn't bad.  I currently drive 44 miles one way.

ETA again:  I have a non-running S-10 pickup.  Any apartment complex obvoiusly woud not allow me to work on my car in the lot, so where ever I end up, I may need to find a place to store it till I have the time to get it running.

You're going to have to get a few more for us to accept you here!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:30:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I would suggest NW OKC, Edmond, Deer Creek or Piedmont.  Lester suggested some good places, but ask him where he lives!

Except is doesn't fit in with "cheap." I'm cheap (and tawdry), but that's another matter.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:45:05 PM EDT
[#11]
S.W. OKC has some fairly nice, good sized apartments for a decent price...I lived in these apartments for about 2.5 yrs and they're decent.....or above average I'd say....Brookwood Village is the apt complex I speak of. Like I said, lived there for 2.5 yrs and its a pretty good place. South side S.W. side of OKC...south of like I-240 is when you want to end up (as far as the south side is concerned) and inbetween I-44 and I-35. Once you get past about S.W.104th Steet the apt prices start going up but then again so do the style of apartments....they're newer more modern and better looking....don't know about if they're insulated better or quieter or anything like that. I just know that Brookwood Apts have a cement floor inbetween the bottom and top floor and I never heard much of anything below me. Now the people below me on the other hand....heard me n my g/f goin at it when I had her humped up like a show dog....I guess the bed was a rockin...I donno..LOL Thats another story for another time........if you have questions abou the South Side let me know, I'm a native south sider.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:55:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
S.W. OKC has some fairly nice, good sized apartments for a decent price...I lived in these apartments for about 2.5 yrs and they're decent.....or above average I'd say....Brookwood Village is the apt complex I speak of. Like I said, lived there for 2.5 yrs and its a pretty good place. South side S.W. side of OKC...south of like I-240 is when you want to end up (as far as the south side is concerned) and inbetween I-44 and I-35. Once you get past about S.W.104th Steet the apt prices start going up but then again so do the style of apartments....they're newer more modern and better looking....don't know about if they're insulated better or quieter or anything like that. I just know that Brookwood Apts have a cement floor inbetween the bottom and top floor and I never heard much of anything below me. Now the people below me on the other hand....heard me n my g/f goin at it when I had her humped up like a show dog....I guess the bed was a rockin...I donno..LOL Thats another story for another time........if you have questions abou the South Side let me know, I'm a native south sider.

Well, that explains alot!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted: Well, that explains alot!

Suck my ass boy!!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:23:58 PM EDT
[#14]
WELCOME to Oklahoma  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:34:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted: Well, that explains alot!

Suck my ass boy!!

no no no......that was Patrick, not Lester!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:26:17 PM EDT
[#16]
NW OKC isn't all that snooty compared to Edmond. I'd give Mustang or Yukon a close look if you are wanting an apartment. And there are quite a few apartment complexes north of I-40 a few miles (around 10th to 39th streets) on MacArthur, Rockwell, and Council. All would be close to the airport.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:43:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
NW OKC isn't all that snooty compared to Edmond. I'd give Mustang or Yukon a close look if you are wanting an apartment. And there are quite a few apartment complexes north of I-40 a few miles (around 10th to 39th streets) on MacArthur, Rockwell, and Council. All would be close to the airport.

WTF are you thinking? Youn in this mans will to get his guns or what? You don't wanna live from n.w./n.e.10th to n.w./n.e.39th street.....piss on that part of town....bullshit! I wouldn't piss on that part of toen of it was on fire......nope....go way south of there....like...Hefner Road/ N.W. 63rd and Council-ish......or on Hefner Road and Council.....turst me, I lived at Hefner n Council and this chic i humped on.....errrr....worked with lived at N.W. expressway and Council Rd......pretty nice place she lived at, better than where i lived a mile north of her......anyways.......yeah....10th to 39th st.....n.e./ n.w......stay away from that part of town....for real! S.W.89th/ S.W.104th-ish is ALOT better than the north side there Dan, trust me old timer!! And its priced pretty good too....and alot better part of town.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:22:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Dan, trust me old timer!!

Rat, I know an old timer - 104 yrs old. He's probably banged more booger, drank more whiskey, skinned more coons, picked more cotton, than you ever will. So be respectful when you say "old timer'!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:08:45 AM EDT
[#19]
My wife is from Yukon.  I transplanted from Tulsa, and I really like Yukon.  The prices are low, houseing is cheap enough, and you are just a few miles from downtown OKC.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:17:34 AM EDT
[#20]
You'll be doing yourself a favor to eleminate the entire east side of the OKC metroplex, unless you get waaaaay out yonder out of town in a house.

Stay west of western and south of I-240 if you are looking southside!  The suburb of Moore might have some suitable accomadations, also along I-35 S of OKC in north Moore.  But tell us the names of the complexes you are looking at.

In OKC, Brookwood village on SW 89th might be halfway decent, and there is a small apt complex called Springcreek apts on SW 84th or 85th (I've forgotten) that is a pretty good deal for cheap and decent.

Tell us the places you are looking at, and I'll give you an idea of the lay of the land.  There are a few small apt complexes that might sound pretty good... except they are all filled up with 3/4s  of the state's diagnosed mentally ill.

Oh, the horrors of my former career as a social worker!  But one thing I do know is the local demographics.

All in all, we don't have any "Cabrini Green" style "ghettos", but we do have huge swathes of town, and housing projects where one does NOT wnat to go... until the day we can get hunting liscences to bag mopes.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:56:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Ok how's Woodrun or Charlemagne Apts?  They're both in Yukon.  Unfortunatley I'm not having much luck finding apartments SW OKC.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:06:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Dang, Yukon is kind of out of my general area, but it is generally a good town.

The old Chisolm Trail ran right through it
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:35:37 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Ok how's Woodrun or Charlemagne Apts?  They're both in Yukon.  Unfortunatley I'm not having much luck finding apartments SW OKC.

I just called my wife, and she said she would live in either of those, but recommends "riverrun" or "riverchase" apartments.  She is not really sure which name they are.  They are kinda expensive though.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:10:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
All in all, we don't have any "Cabrini Green" style "ghettos", but we do have huge swathes of town, and housing projects where one does NOT wnat to go... until the day we can get hunting liscences to bag mopes.

Bull$hit.....you ever been down Lyrewood Lane south of NW Expressway between Rockwell and MacArthur?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:27:07 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Bull$hit.....you ever been down Lyrewood Lane south of NW Expressway between Rockwell and MacArthur?

That gas station/convenience store on Lyrewood Lane has more guns behind the counter than the OKC SWAT team! It must be awful bad over there!  Only a few times have I ever seen a loaded riot gun behind a store counter and that is one place I did!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:35:37 PM EDT
[#26]
I still say check out Brookwood Village, close to 2 major highways, 9 pools, fairly quiet.....I'd say one of the better apt complexes you can live at. IMHO
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:53:53 PM EDT
[#27]
If you are looking for an apartment look here www.mcsha.com/apartmentcommunities.html They own more apartments than anyone in Oklahoma. As far as price? I dont know what they go for. Im sure $ depends on location.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:04:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Ok, I just got off the phone with AAR, and they offered me a job outright.  I'm taking it, though we have to finalize the details such as start date and the like.  I'm thinking of a start date of May 8th so I can run out to ETH's farm.  

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:40:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Yeeeeehaaaawwwww!

WELCOME to OKLAHOMA
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:46:39 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Ok, I just got off the phone with AAR, and they offered me a job outright.  I'm taking it, though we have to finalize the details such as start date and the like.  I'm thinking of a start date of May 8th so I can run out to ETH's farm.  

New guys are required to buy a keg of beer for admission into the secret society. I'll settle for a six-pack of Czechvar.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:17:59 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

New guys are required to buy a keg of beer for admission into the secret society. I'll settle for a six-pack of Czechvar.

Life's too short to drink lager.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#32]
If you are wanting to buy a house, IM me!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:26:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Delta, congrats man! Welcome to Oklahoma!! Remember, moving to Oklahoma is kindof like being a new member to the Oklahoma Forums....its traditional to have to buy everyone a case of thier favorite caliber of ammo when you get here!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

What you got cheap?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:04:19 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What you got cheap?

100K brand new in Edmond/Deer Creek?

You buyin' a few???
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:28:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Maybe one or two, depending on what my sister (the CPA) says will give me the longest and biggest tax break! I'm about 4 years too late, but my wife will have to take the blame on that.
I almost bought a new diesel truck before the first of the year for a tax break, then a new tractor as well. She stopped that shit real quick when I showed her the cash outlay. When she saw our taxes this afternoon, she almost hit the ground.
She should have listened, and I should have had a bigger set of balls! It would have saved us 20K!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:17:14 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted: I should have had a bigger set of balls!

Take them out of Pats hand and you'll have them.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:40:16 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Uh-Oh...Ratt is back......they must have raided the Habbana Inn!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:53:42 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Rat, that whuppin' you're gonna get is gettin' worse ALL the time!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:32:02 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rat, that whuppin' you're gonna get is gettin' worse ALL the time!

I'm really not afraid of yer old bum knee'd slow ass Dan.....really I'm not.....and I meant to say....."Take them out of Pats mouth and you'll have them back"
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:35:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Rat, I sure wish you had a little luck with the feminine gender.   Then maybe all this BBM stuff wouldn't be on your mind as much!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:05:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Awesome, congrats!

I have an apt in Edmond (for now).  Its not a bad area here.  Take your time finding a place if you can.  

(Oh, I've done business with AAR, they've pumped hundreds of pounds of jet fuel into some jets I've brought in.   )
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#43]
just rent you a trailer in Braggs and be done with it. you will only have a 3 hour drive to okc but you will have the luxuries of benge's gas station,grocery,video rental and pizza without the hassles of big city life like traffic lights.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:05:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Ok I'm still looking around.  I have found one property that looks interesting, it's on NW 10th st between Meridian and Mcarthur.  What's this area look like?

Apartment I'm looking at
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:24:02 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Ok I'm still looking around.  I have found one property that looks interesting, it's on NW 10th st between Meridian and Mcarthur.  What's this area look like?

Apartment I'm looking at

Not good. That's near where I work. The apartments in that area are high crime/low income housing.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:18:12 AM EDT
[#46]
roger thanks I'll keep looking
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:19:13 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apartment I'm looking at

Not good. That's near where I work. The apartments in that area are high crime/low income housing.

+1

Not a good area

on the plus side, there are several titty bars close by!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:20:27 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apartment I'm looking at

+1

Not a good area

on the plus side, there are several titty bars close by!

Just down the street from the Red Dog....
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:52:31 AM EDT
[#49]
ok well AAR is going to send me out some apartment guides, and once I get those in hand, I think I'll probably fly out for at least a day to look around.  Once I get the materials in hand, anyone willing to show me around OKC?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:41:18 PM EDT
[#50]
You can get to Will Rogers from as far away as Edmond (about 25 miles) in less than 30 min. in our traffic if you aren't too far from I-35, or the Kilpatrick Turnpike.  Think farther away than you have been looking and definitely not anything on 10th Street.  The airport is off of I-40 and not far from I-44 either, but lots of the housing nearby is shit.

There are thousands of new apartments built within the past few years and you should be able to find some off of Memorial Road, or in Mustang, Yukon, S. OKC (think south of 89th Street), Norman, etc. that will get you to work in less than 30 minutes and let you live in a safe area that isn't full of crack houses and thieves.

Welcome to Oklahoma and if I were you I wouldn't sign up for any lease over 6 mos. until I had time to find out where everything is that I want to be close to.  OKC is a big metro area and includes lots of other "cities" inside its city limits.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top