Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2006 11:25:51 AM EDT
Hey All,  Thought I'd pose a question about AK rifles and the modified.

Which would you buy(and why)?  An AK or whatever they're called now days, with the American made action or a Polytech/Norinco MAK.  Doesn't the "M" stand for modified by the maker(Thumbhole stock or differentstock) or a cut/angled receiver?

Fill me in on the different types and which ones I should buy(or stay away from)!!  I'm starting to see a few more of these at the gun ranges.  I should ask the shooter the make and model.

Back when I thought AK's were cool(80's), some friends back in Chandler had Polytechs and Norincos(even SKS).  Now in the 21st Century, I'm lookin' but don't know a thing about them anymore.

Thanks,  Dave
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:20:59 PM EDT
[#1]
We need ark-n-spark here. He's the residual expert on all types of AKs.
If you can find a MAK90/Polytech/Norinco AK, I'd say get it. The Chinese AKs are pretty damn good.
The thumb hole stocks came on milled and stamped AKs. A milled MAK90 would be the best one to get. It will be solid steel, no welds or rivets in the side of receiver.
All of them can be changed to a standard AK configuration, dropping the thumbhole stock.
There are different made American made AKs using an American made receiver and East European disassembled AKs. The one to look for are the Arsenal brand. One type of Arsenal is stamped (made in Houston) another company with the Arsenal name makes a milled receiver (made in Nevada?) AK/ Either one would be good. Stay away from Ewbanks or Ohio Ordnance stamped receivers American made guns.
If Ark will get on here, he's much better with AKs overall than anyone else I can think of.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:38:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Norinco Mak90...its great! Here's the low down on these weapons..... Norinco Mak-90
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:24:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's a Polytech Legend I've had since before the ban.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:11:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Pre- 1989 Ak's are rather pricey. Post 89 Chi-com Ak's are know as Mak-90's, Bwk's, NMH-91's and maybe by a few other names. Here is a great place to learn about chi-com ak's www.chicom47.com/

If your someone that wants a rifle for a shooter only and not for an authentic reprodution of what an Ak-47 should be, Go for a MAK. It's a real Ak it just dosent look much like one. If having a t-hole stock bothers you and it's something you would want to convert. Then stay away. The conversion parts and the rifle will cost more than most people want to spend. I have a Mak-90 I converted and I have about $625 in it.

For someone like me who cant stand for something to not look like it should, I would recommend a Romanian or Bulgarian rifle. If price is something that is important the Romanian rifle is the way to go.
Here is an excellant site for Romanian info. www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/index.shtml If you go for a Romi be sure to get a SAR rifle and not a WASR. The Sar was imported with a standard Akm receiver. The WASR was imported with a single stack mag receiver and then milled out by a monkey with a dremil.

If you feel like you want the best of the best and you dont mind spending a few bucks for a fine rifle then go for a Bulgarian. Arsenal inc was set up when the Bulgarians saw the market for firearms in the USA. A rifle from Arsenal is made in Las Vegas by Bulgarian rifle builders imported to Sin City. The Arsenal rifle is made with a milled receiver. They have a very smooth action and trigger. They are reguarded as the most accurate Ak on the market. Arsenal also makes a stamped rifle in 5.45x39 caliber.  Here is a link to Arsenal www.arsenalinc.com/products.htm
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:13:45 AM EDT
[#5]
WOW, I didn't know there was so much to know and learn about the different type of AKs.

Thanks for all the information and I'll start to apply this new knowledge while shopping for an AK.

Thanks,  Dave
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top