Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2006 7:12:16 PM EDT
I am looking at some houses with acreages tommorow.  Most of them 5 acres, and one of them 10.  I plan to get a riding mower/tractor, brush mower, and whatever else I may need.  I just need to know as dental school takes up so much of my time.  I don't mind spending alot of time mowing but I don't want to get myself into something way over my head because of time contraints.  If I didn't have school to worry about I could care less how long it would take me.  I just have no real idea on the matter.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Fence it and put some cows on it. They'll handle the grass and provide you with a nice tax write-off as well as provide investment income.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:05:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Fence it and put some cows on it. They'll handle the grass and provide you with a nice tax write-off as well as provide investment income.

Yea but I don't want cow patties all over my acreage.  I may get a couple of goats or something though but it won't be enough that I can quit mowing.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#3]
takes me about three and a half hours to mow two acres with a 52" rider, of course I only mow my grass (bermuda) about twice a year, but if I keep it mowed on a regular basis, I can mow it in about one hour, so I'd say your looking at about two to two and half hours a week, depending on how level the yard, type of grass and size of riding mower.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:47:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I have 5 acres, minus house, shop, garden, etc so I actually mow about 4 acres.  I have a small tractor with a 5' finish mower and a riding mower with a 48" deck that sometimes pulls a 60" trail mower.  It takes my wife and I about 2.5  hours to mow the 4 acres when the trail mower is used and about 3 if we dont use the trail mower.  It takes me a little over 4 hours to mow it by myself using the tractor and 5' mower.  We have some rough and hilly ground with a lot of trees to mow around though.  If it's smooth, open and flat it goes faster.  Also that time does not include tirmming/weed-eating.  If I have to mow it myself it takes the biggest part of a day to finish.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:16:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm with pnuner on this one. I just pick a day and call it "yard day" and plan on spending the day working on the yard. It depends on how tall the grass is and the moisture level as to how fast I can mow it with the 48" lawn tractor. I also have the regular push mower and the weed eater to run when the big mowing is done. It takes me the better part of the day to do everything. The best estimate I could give is that it would probably take 3 hours just to run the lawn tractor.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:43:52 AM EDT
[#6]
It all depends on the equipment you get. You can spend thousands of dollars on equipment that will make the time much less.  Mowing around trees, fences, and structures lengthens the time considerably. Are you sure you want an acreage?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:39:29 PM EDT
[#7]
You work just as hard on 5 acres as you do on 40.  Sure you want acreage?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:10:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You work just as hard on 5 acres as you do on 40.  Sure you want acreage?

I am positive I want an acreage.  I really don't mind the hard work.  It's just a matter of time constraints for me.  If takes me a few hours per week for mowing that's fine, but much more and I'd have trouble keeping up.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:42:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Zero turn mowers...

Haul much more ass.....I borrowed one and went from an hour for my acre to about 25 minutes.  Now I've got the hots for a zero turn.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Zero turn mowers...

Wkenneth is right about that. But they can run upwards of $5K or a lot more! I've known people who just thought they had to have an acreage then found out how much work it is!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:20:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Zero turn mowers...

Wkenneth is right about that. But they can run upwards of $5K or a lot more! I've known people who just thought they had to have an acreage then found out how much work it is!

Really people.  I understand it's alot of work.  I just wanted to get an idea of how much time I should expect to spend  mowing.  How hard is that?  If you just want to second guess if I want an acreage or not just don't reply.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:15:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Sig_220. not meaning to second guess you or criticize you. Just letting you know what you are in for. The fact you asked shows that you may be unaware of what you are getting into.
Here is a suggestion, (if you want to take it!) if you are looking at five acres, look for one that is cross fenced. Like the front 1.5 as the house and lawn, the back 3.5 set up as a pasture for horses, etc.  1.5 acres is much easier to mow than a full 5.
Or look for one that has lots of trees,  where grass won't grow so fast.
I'm sure you don't want to spend a LARGE amount of time on a mower that will take time away from you wife and new child. I'm sure your books will do enough of that.
And if you don't understand we are concerned and trying to help, then DON'T F*CKING ASK for our opinions.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:57:22 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Sig_220. not meaning to second guess you or criticize you. Just letting you know what you are in for. The fact you asked shows that you may be unaware of what you are getting into.
Here is a suggestion, (if you want to take it!) if you are looking at five acres, look for one that is cross fenced. Like the front 1.5 as the house and lawn, the back 3.5 set up as a pasture for horses, etc.  1.5 acres is much easier to mow than a full 5.
Or look for one that has lots of trees,  where grass won't grow so fast.
I'm sure you don't want to spend a LARGE amount of time on a mower that will take time away from you wife and new child. I'm sure your books will do enough of that.
And if you don't understand we are concerned and trying to help, then DON'T F*CKING ASK for our opinions.

I probably won't keep the entire 5 acres mowed perfectly depending on the land, but everything will get attention occasionally.

Thanks for keeping the maturity level so high though.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:25:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Here's the story that MATURITY will tell you. I'm 27, have a new born baby, 5 acres with a nice home, a 21 yo wife that is into "nest & nurture". I'm busting my ass on the place, painting, mowing, building  a shop, cutting down trees, burning brush,   working 50 to 60 hours a week at a regular job..
So here's what happen - you think you have everything under control and looking peachy, then along comes POST PARTUM DEPRESSION on the wife. That "wonderful home and acreage" became a prison for her. She resents the loneliness of not having family close, or friends to go visit! She resents you for working, either at the job or on the place. If you don't get the grass cut, she'll bitch, And if you do go out to cut it, she'll bitch you're not paying attention to her.
And heaven forbid, you take a few hours to go hunt or fish and leave her there all alone with the munchki, you're the lowest life form on earth and you ruined her life!
And when you are not there, the big bad boogy man can swoop down and rob you, rape her, etc. because she is all alone on that acreage and it's all YOUR FAULT.
And if you think you are immune to this situation on your new found acreage with a wife and new born child, have at it!
I sold mine, moved back close to her family and friends, gave up my dream and desires, because FAMILY comes first.  Now 26 years later, I still have the same wife and a good life. But if I had stayed on that acreage (it is a damn nice one even to this day!) I wouldn't have my wife, that acreage, or the great life I have now.
But every situation is unique and so is every individual. Go for it, Ace!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:34:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Here's the story that MATURITY will tell you. I'm 27, have a new born baby, 5 acres with a nice home, a 21 yo wife that is into "nest & nurture". I'm busting my ass on the place, painting, mowing, building  a shop, cutting down trees, burning brush,   working 50 to 60 hours a week at a regular job..
So here's what happen - you think you have everything under control and looking peachy, then along comes POST PARTUM DEPRESSION on the wife. That "wonderful home and acreage" became a prison for her. She resents the loneliness of not having family close, or friends to go visit! She resents you for working, either at the job or on the place. If you don't get the grass cut, she'll bitch, And if you do go out to cut it, she'll bitch you're not paying attention to her.
And heaven forbid, you take a few hours to go hunt or fish and leave her there all alone with the munchki, you're the lowest life form on earth and you ruined her life!
And when you are not there, the big bad boogy man can swoop down and rob you, rape her, etc. because she is all alone on that acreage and it's all YOUR FAULT.
And if you think you are immune to this situation on your new found acreage with a wife and new born child, have at it!
I sold mine, moved back close to her family and friends, gave up my dream and desires, because FAMILY comes first.  Now 26 years later, I still have the same wife and a good life. But if I had stayed on that acreage (it is a damn nice one even to this day!) I wouldn't have my wife, that acreage, or the great life I have now.

danc46,

I'm sorry it didn't work for you.  It works for millions of other Americans though.  I can't be 100% positive everything will be peachy no matter where I live.  You seem to have anger management issues.  Go have a beer or something.  You seem to think because you had issues that I am inherently doomed to the same problems.  Oh and for the record I never asked for advice/opinions just info basically.

My wife wants to get an acreage every bit as much as I do.  If it doesn't work for us then it's a lesson learned, but there's only one sure way to find out for sure.

I'll just quit posting in this thread because I wouldn't want to get any more peoples panties in a wad over my future home buying plans.

Edited to add I never meant to start a argument or anything.  I just wanted to express that I have no need for help with my decision for buying an acreage or not.  I just wanted to know how long I should expect to mow.  I don't understand what is so upsetting.  Sorry if my wording came across as rude or something.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
 If you just want to second guess if I want an acreage or not just don't reply.

Quoted:
Thanks for keeping the maturity level so high though.

Your wording came across as smart ass. I promise you in the future, I will not respond to any of your threads or posts. My intent was not to insult you, but to prevent you from making a possible mistake. One that I know MANY people make.  If you think I was intending to insult you, diminish you, or make fun of you, you were wrong.
From this point on, I won't give a rat's ass what you do.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:58:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I decided this post was unneccesary/inappropriate so I am changing/editing it.  Anyways danc46 I really think your taking things to serious.  I'm sorry if I upset you.  You probably wouldn't like me in real life anyways because I usually am a smart ass.  Anyways you don't have to post in any of my threads if you don't want to but I honestly have nothing against you.  I was hoping to go to one of the group shoots soon if I could but if I am not wanted I'll just stay at Tri-City.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:42:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

From this point on, I won't give a rat's ass what you do.

Oh that's real nice Dan. Bring Rat's ass into things. He's not even in this thread!!!

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:08:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

you been checking into my history Dan? only thing, I didn't move or live happily ever after.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:38:36 PM EDT
[#20]
WTF OVER

don't worry about it Sig ........... dan is off his med's or something

and i though i took shit toooo serious .....  you two are worse than me

have a on me it's all good..................
who ever thought theyd see me being the peacemaker
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:08:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I started out wanting 10 acres. Then compromised down to 5...then 2.5. We just had one hell of a time finding a place close to where we wanted with a house like we wanted etc so we wound up with just over 1.5 acres and its actually really nice. There are neighbors but the property backs up to heavily wooded land that will probably never be used/developed. I still wish we had a couple more acres but  mowing it would just be that much more of a pita. We have 1 tree and it takes me a couple hours to mow it with a 50" rider. I could do it faster but there are some rough patches of yard that practically beat my kidneys loose if I go over them very fast so I have to take it slower. I just put up fence about a week ago so that is going to exponentially increase my weedeating time. I may have to accidentally spill some RoundUp around the whole perimiter of the fence...oops. Anyway things like trees, ground condition and fence will greatly affect your mowing time. BTW if you buy a place that isnt already fenced and plan on having fence put in be ready to shell out some serious cabbage. I built a privacy fence at our last place and since decided that it was one of those jobs I'd rather pay someone else to do. At this place I basically went out from the sides of the house and then back to an existing fence that I tied into that spans the back of my property. It was something like 550ft of 2 rail with vinyl coated chain link fence and it was around $5000 and that was about as cheap as I found it anywhere.
Good luck. Land is about the only thing that they aren't making more of.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:53:07 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

peacemaker..........let he who is without sin cast the first stone

I got a peacemaker acman, does that make us even?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:52:24 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

is it camo ........ or an original........ if not then no
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:39:36 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

its an original, I'd have to hit you with it though, its so old I'm not real sure it won't blow up using modern ammo, guess that'd make it a glock peacemaker.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:06:32 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

its an original, I'd have to hit you with it though, its so old I'm not real sure it won't blow up using modern ammo, guess that'd make it a glock peacemaker.

that's kick ass man ......... i wish i still had some of my collector stuff.... i let money get in the way of my aquisitions...........

I'm not real big on collectors items but i've owned a few over the years......... the one thing i've always wanted was a S&W scholefield(SP?) ........ but alas comon sense has stoped me.......

thats what reloading is for ....... it can be handloaded for ... besides if it's a glock model you really don't have anything to worry about anyway.....
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:16:51 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

that's kick ass man ......... i wish i still had some of my collector stuff.... i let money get in the way of my aquisitions...........

I'm not real big on collectors items but i've owned a few over the years......... the one thing i've always wanted was a S&W scholefield(SP?) ........ but alas comon sense has stoped me.......

thats what reloading is for ....... it can be handloaded for ... besides if it's a glock model you really don't have anything to worry about anyway.....

I've shot it a couple of times with bp reloads, just rather not, it was given to me as a gift, and one day I'll give it as one also,

you can get a repo scholefield in 45lc or 45 scholefield, I got a identical uberti birdshead peacemaker awhile back that I shot till it broke the same part twice, I like it a lot, just parts are a bitch to find.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top