Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2006 4:42:10 PM EDT
Where are the ones that we can go to, like in a public one?  Any ideas?
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:21:08 PM EDT
[#1]
the only one i know of is down in the wichita mtns.
over the years i've been going down there it has "moved" several times
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:50:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Used to have several at Ft. Sill, the east range did when I hunted there about 20 yrs. ago. Went once with a neighbor and shot lots of them there. FYI they taste great fried, we'd put em on ice till we could clean them at home.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:57:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Do they really taste like bald eagle?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:11:03 PM EDT
[#4]
They taste just like a rat that lives in the dirt...wait a minute...they are a rat that lives in the dirt!

Or maybe like a chicken....that's been run over by a garbage truck!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:26:49 PM EDT
[#5]
taste like squirell to me, or sometimes unwashed ass, guess it all depends on who's cooking them.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:23:39 AM EDT
[#6]
X wife #2 (she was a great cook) fried some up and I took them to work (at a bank) & everyone that tried them loved them. Couldn't believe it was prarie dog, thought it was chicken. If I ever go PD hunting with any of you guys I'll take any that you don't want.  We did let them lay for about 10 minutes before getting them to be sure the fleas left them. Then into the ice chest.

Guess its like most things, a poorly prepared & cooked animal just won't taste as good as it should. When steps are aken to protect the meat and you know how to cook it, it will please most everyone.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:16:31 PM EDT
[#7]
never even thought about eating them ..............
...... i just thought they were live targets
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:07:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
never even thought about eating them ..............
...... i just thought they were live targets

.........huuuhhhh, acman what are we going to do with you man, thats why you shoot them in the head, so you can eat them, hell anybody can body shoot one, but then their unedible since their blown to mist, besides its always fun to shoot live targets.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:14:20 PM EDT
[#9]
When I was a kid my dad had some friends waaaay up in Waynoka.  They had PDs and shot the heck out of them because of their cattle.  Maybe look up toward that area...anyone know??

Dave
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:33:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll tell you how i got to go prarie dog hunting....... I went to where their at norhtern ok....... drove around in the country till i  saw the little buggers started nocking on doors....... first house was a success...... thats the short version..... we spent a lot of time messing around in town trying to find out where to do it at bla bla etc etc...... when that failed we headed out in the country.......if i were doing it again i would skip town go directly to the source and start nocking on doors be polite......
and i doubt you'll have much problem finding a spot....

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:56:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll check to see if there are any up around Seiling!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:51:32 PM EDT
[#12]
In the Panhandle there were droves of them until early last year.  There was a plague that killed off most of them. I had 18 different places to hunt them from woodward all the way out to Kenton near Black Mesa. Now I have 4 and they are down in number's.

acman, hit it on the head about the welcome you would receive if you were a prarie dog hunter in the North. Anywhere from 2 to 6 years ago the rancher's up there would beg you and sometimes lodge you to shoot them dog's. but those day's are far gone I'm affraid unless the few towns that are left multiply rapidly.
There was an article in I belive "Outdoor life" magazine last year that was about the prarie dog's in various state's and gave contact info. Most of which were local Chamber of Commerce. They would in turn give out the phone #'s of rancher's in the area that had signed up for the program years earlier when the dog number's were very high. Most of them had forgotten they signed up for the program. When that article went out, these rancher's got bombarded with phone call's from people from around various part's of the Country! None of whom had any idea that there were not many "dog town's" left at that time.
I am going up that way some time this month and I will let you all know what the situation is.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:13:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I would be interested in that info as well, I've got the equipment, just need a place to hunt PDs.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Watch these videos ladies.... P dawg shootin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top