Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2006 6:42:46 PM EDT
I looked at a H & R Ultra Varmint the other day.  The rifle looked really good, had a 24" brl, either 1-9 or 1-12 twist, Choate pg stock and wide forend made out of synthetic material, and a rail to put a bi-pod on.  Oh yeah, .223 Rem.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this rifle.  NIB it was 285.00 so the price is definetly right.  I know that it is not a Rem VS or Savage Tac/Varmint but the funds are little right now.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I will NEVER put down H&R or NEF rifles for accuracy. They are excellent shooters out of the box.
My son Matt has a Savage 116 in 223 and it is an accurate rifle. A bolt has advantages over a single shot.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:29:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm with dan on this one.....the NEF's that i've shot have all been fairly acurate...... i'm just not a big single shot guy...... although i have a friend who can work an encore about as fast as i can a bolt gun
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:42:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I have had 2 NEF rifles, one was .223 and the other, I still have is a .243

The .223 was a great shooter.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:09:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought about the Savage and really liked the new trigger and all.  I want a heavy brl and the savage is out of the price range.  I grew up shooting a H&R shotgun so  Ican work it pretty good.  My bolt gun is a Rem 700 custom gun in .308 so I have a nice bolt already.

Appreciate the help.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:39:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I was looking at one of the NEF survivors in either 223 or 308, they got a 20" heavy barrel and pistol grip stock, you can order them from wal mart for $205.00, its not the same as what your looking at but wal mart carries a wide range of NEFs, heres a link: NEF Link
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:23:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a NEF....great shooter and pretty light for a bull bbl.

Save yourself some headaches and polish the chamber before you shoot it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top