Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2006 4:56:03 AM EDT
at the Fairgrounds in OKC. Its the State High School Wrestling Championships. If you want to see the best athletes in the State, get there today. These boys work very hard and deserve much more attention than they get.

So, off the couches and go to the Fairgrounds and support your team.

GO PERRY MAROONS.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:07:50 AM EDT
[#1]
P.C. North will kick their asses!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:18:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, I know that El Reno has 9 in the finals, that is out of the 14 weights.  Probably shake out as
2A Perry
3A Cushing
4A El Reno
5A Ponca

Two old wrestling sayings:  
"Girls play basketball, boys play football, and MEN wrestle..."
"The sight I adore on a basketball floor is wrestling mats door to door"

Good luck to all the young men out there this morning making their stake at a state placer and to those tonight on the road to their state championship!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:36:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I wrestled up there when I was a kid at 170lbs, wrestled some dude named canada from edmond or some such place north, hell we was in the 7th grade, but by looking at him you'd guess he was in the 17th grade, dude had a mustash most 50 year olds can't grow, was over 6' tall, needless to say, I got beat in about a minute, got surf boarded and a double chicken wing stuck on me, still had fun though, wrestled that dude at a meet the following year, same thing all over, only I almost made it through the 1st period.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:25:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I wrestled up there when I was a kid at 170lbs, wrestled some dude named canada from edmond or some such place north, hell we was in the 7th grade, but by looking at him you'd guess he was in the 17th grade, dude had a mustash most 50 year olds can't grow, was over 6' tall, needless to say, I got beat in about a minute, got surf boarded and a double chicken wing stuck on me, still had fun though, wrestled that dude at a meet the following year, same thing all over, only I almost made it through the 1st period.

I'd like to see him try that on you now....
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:12:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, the big show is over and there were definetly some upsets and great matches.  

For those that follow wrestling I was stunned that B. Shelton form El Reno got pinned and that J. Glenn from Enid beat Kyle from Edmond in double OT.

Definetly another great year for the record books.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:47:50 AM EDT
[#6]
And the Perry Maroons capture their 33rd state title and crown their 141st individual champion. This, fellows, is a national record. No other high school has had as many state championship in any other sport.

How, you ask, does a small town of 5,000 in Northern Oklahoma produce such outstanding athletes? How do they consistenly produce state champions, ncaa national champions and olympic gold medalist? It's in the genetics, it's been scientifically proven that the men in Perry are all outstanding physical specimens. Mate these men with women of solid stock, and you get oustanding athletes. It's rumored that when male babies are born in Perry, Doctors do not let them sleep on their backs.

Seriously, I don't what accounts for our success, it probably has something to do with tradition and coaching. Our coaches are mostly homegrown and understand what it takes to be a champion.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:02:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Did you wrestle for Perry?  I used to wrestle a hwt from there that is now the asst. coach at MWC.

Anyway, the tradition is a major factor as well as a great coaching staff.  Chenny is a great coach as well as Bechum (sp).  The way I look at it is, do you want to be the one that losses in the family ie: grandpa, dad, brother and cousins were state champions or on state champion teams.

It is like El Reno has been for the last decade.  They had started a tradition that was shaken a little at dual state but they came back on a war path at individual state.  With Randall leaving and starting the OCU program, I hope the new coach there will be able to contiue the tradition.  A little known fact about the ER program was that wrestling was re-introduced there in 1979.  Yes, I say re-intorduced because in the 30's they had a team for one year.  The wrestling coach was shot while trying to stop a bank robbery.  One of the sr boys that had wrestled other places coached while a regular teacher sponsered them.  That was it until 1979 when a coach started the program again.  Up until Randall's arrival ER had a lot of good wrestlers and several state runner-up teams but no team championships.  I could go on about a lot of the wrestlers that came out of there.

That brings me to the next question for you Nick710, the rumor is that Betchun is throwing his hat into the ER coaching arena along with the Crutchmeyer from Lawton Mac.  Heard anything about that?  I know Betchun would be a great head coach and that ER would belucky to have him.  Look what other Perry coachs go and do for other schools--MWC, Locost Grove, Perry, Edmond, etc.

Take are
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:14:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Whatever happened to the Biesel Kids that wrestled for Perry in the late 70's?
I understood that Cecil went to OU on a Baseball scholarship.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:02:57 AM EDT
[#9]
First off, didn't wrestle for Perry, but I sired several boys that did, including a state champion. The heavyweight you wrestled was Bobby Miller, he is now an assistant coach at MWC. Coach Marple of MWC, came through Perry, he was an assistant coach a couple of years ago.

I have not heard of Tom Betchan applying for the ER job, but he could have. I heard that Bobby Miller did.

Cecil Biesel went to OU on a baseball scholarship. I understand that he is a successful insurance salesman in Weatherford now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top