Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2006 8:56:06 PM EDT

Dear JustinOK34,

Upon completion of the background investigation concerning your application for a Self Defense Act License, it has been determined that you are eligible for the license.  Your license has been mailed to your sheriff's office.  Please contact that office as to when you may pick up your license.  If you have any questions please contact the OSBI at xxx-xxxx.

Thank You,

Oklahoma Self Defense Act-Licensing Unit

(Only took 3 months from when I mailed everything in)
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:02:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I'm gonna have to start making phone calls tomorrow.

Congrats!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:53:26 PM EDT
[#2]
IM inbound! I received my renewal in the mail a year ago. Have things changed?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:21:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Thanks for the IM.

I don't know how the SDA worked before, since I'm a first timer.  I originally turned my application in mid to late November, but they "rejected" it since I didn't include my military orders showing I'm stationed here.  So I sent them my orders the day after I got their notice.  

First week of December I got another notice saying it was "rejected" because my prints were blurred.  So I went to the OSBI building in downtown OKC on Dec 13th or so.  The lady that redid my prints said that my application shouldn't go to the end of the pile, so it should only be about 6 weeks.  I'm guessing it went to the bottom again since it pretty much took twice that.  No big deal though.

I'm just happy I finally got it!  I did some stupid stuff in college (3 incidents, 2 were alcohol related but both were completely dismissed), so I wasn't sure if I would get approved or not.  But only one incident was within the past three years, so I guess that helped.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:19:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Nope, your fist license goes to the sheriff, everyone after is mailed to you.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:44:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, your fist license goes to the sheriff, everyone after is mailed to you.

I believe you 1shott! It's been since 1997 when I was a CLEET SDA instructor and I haven't kept up on the law or process.
I was the 5th licensed instructor in the state. My application process at the OK County Sheriff involved taking my shoes off, my belt off, emptying all my pockets, and stepping into a hallway.
They told me it was standard procedure for everyone going into that area. When I stepped into the hall I was directed too, both doors were electrically locked. They held me for 15 minutes while they did a warrant check on me. I was the 5th license in the state.
JD Sharpe sure pissed me off!
I guess after 30,000+ licenses in the state, they have lightened up.  The first year of the license I know I set a trooper on edge when I told him I had a loaded gun in the car and an SDA license. They had a checkpoint set up. My wife thought I was gonna be cuffed and hauled off to jail.
He let me go of course, but he was really up tight while I was there.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:18:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Went to the Sheriff's office and picked it up this afternoon!   No problems at all.

I think they were happy 'cause I loosened up the tin foil on my hat.  It was all too easy.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:35:44 PM EDT
[#7]
congraulations...............welcome to the "club"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top