Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 5:06:45 AM EDT
First I may be preaching to the choir but I've gotta let it out.  Those of us who shoot at WMA public ranges do so because we don't have our own range or access to one. I feel fortunate that I can be at Okmulgee or  Wagoner WMA rifle range in less than an hour. Its a ways to go but I always enjoy the PRIVILEGE to be able to use the ranges.

My rant is about all the other lazy s^)#$^%*ses who don't clean up their trash. Besides being an eye sore some of the trash is dangerous. Broken glass, sharp rusy metals, nails can easily cut, scrape or penetrate shoes & clothing. And whats up with the assholes who shoot up the trash containers. Broken glass is a real bitch to clean up.When you do crap like that it makes a bad impression on us all, not to mention the increased costs & waste of time & manpower.

I don't want anyone to give the state any reason to restrict or remove any of my freedoms because of dumb schmucks who don't f#*%^@^~ care!

If you bring it with you, take it home with you & dispose of it properly. Don't shoot glass containers. Pick up your emptys. The least anyone can do is pick up after themself. Rant mode off.  

Edited to change locations from Ft. Gibson to Wagoner & correct spelienge.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:36:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, the A-holes that don't pick thier trash up at Lexington piss me off....let me see someone do that and I'll have a ranger on the cell phone (assuming I have reception there), a tag number and vehicle description!  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:08:04 AM EDT
[#2]
no shit on this, I got my own range but if theirs more than 4 of us shooting at the same time, we have to go to lex and that place is trashed nearly every time, thats what happened to the t-bird range until it was closed down.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:29:13 AM EDT
[#3]
When I went to Lexington I would pick my trash up but I always just left my brass.  I don't reload and I have been there when people came out just to scavenge brass for reloading.  At least that way someone will make good use of it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#4]
The last few times I have been to Lexington it has been fairly clean.  This being said I heard the wardens were very upset the last time they had to clean all the trash up (and understandably so).  I just hope everyone can continue to keep it clean so they won't close it down.  I will be moving back to Texas soon when I graduate college and one of the things I will miss most is the ability to drive 20 minutes and shoot for free.  Most people here do not realize how awesome that is until they take it away.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:01:32 PM EDT
[#5]
 I went to Wagoner 2 weeks ago and that place was a mess. Boxes, shell casings, and whatever other kind of trash people shoot at was lying there, looked more like a trash dump than a shooting range. Even the trash cans have been used as targets.  I'm suprised the welcome signs haven't been tore down and used for targets yet!
 Pretty  scary crowd out there too, lot's of unsavory looking characters ........ probably some of you guys.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:39:53 PM EDT
[#6]
the best is when you leave a nice shooting table(not some POS) at the range and go back a week later to find that sum f@ck tard has shot it with a shotgun

I'm just glad i've never caught the a$$holes that do it I'm afraid it would cause me to break a law or 2
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:40:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Sh*t happens even  at private ranges. Somebody shot up some pop up pistol targets with rifles at the OKC Gun Club and tore them all to hell. And they hadn't been out for more than a month.
When crap like that happens, it pisses everybody off.
When I was just 22 and didn't have a whole lot of money, I joined the OKC Gun Club. I went out to the pistol range with a S&W 38 and Colt 22, the only two pistols I owned. Some "old timer" came up and told me "We don't want punks out here shooting our club up!"  I ate his ass up and down one side then the other for implying I was a punk. I didn't care if he was the president of the club. And he was!  
My next renewal was "misplaced" and I had to wait for several years before I got back in!
When sh*t starts happening at gun ranges, everybody turns into pricks.
I've got several places to shoot, but I still enjoy going to a range with target stands and nice benches. And the facilities at the OKC Gun Club are really good!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:26:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree regarding Lex or anyplace else. My son and I always pack more out than we bring in at Lex in hopes that if all shooters are doing that, it will compensate for the no-load dirtbags that trash the place.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:53:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
 I went to Wagoner 2 weeks ago and that place was a mess. Boxes, shell casings, and whatever other kind of trash people shoot at was lying there, looked more like a trash dump than a shooting range. Even the trash cans have been used as targets.  I'm suprised the welcome signs haven't been tore down and used for targets yet!
 Pretty  scary crowd out there too, lot's of unsavory looking characters ........ probably some of you guys.

as of last wed i dont even remember seeing any trash cans in wagoner and the welcome sign has either been ripped off the post or fell off but its still by the fence.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:29:06 PM EDT
[#10]
 Actually the sign is knocked down and laying on the ground to the left of the entry-way, ( should have edited that ) and when I went out there people were using the trash cans, or what I thought were trash cans, as target holders. Kinda hard to tell and I sure as hell wasn't going to go look with a bunch of kids dumping ammo down range.
 I'm not familiar with that place as thats the first time in ten years I've been out there, but a dump is a dump, and thats what that place is.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:57:08 PM EDT
[#11]
true on the dump part. but it the only place that i have to shoot at thats longer than 50 yards.                             our lovely range in its clean state
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:52:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I agree regarding Lex or anyplace else. My son and I always pack more out than we bring in at Lex in hopes that if all shooters are doing that, it will compensate for the no-load dirtbags that trash the place.

Very true....and Welcome to AR15.com!! Nice to see a new member!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:59:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Whats sad is that the above range was scraped & cleaned up right after the rifle deer season. Within two weeks it started getting trashed out again.  Not to change the subject but-----------------------------

Does anyone else ever feel paranoid when shooting at public ranges?  Even when I'm the only person there, I sometimes do. Maybe because of the value of the firearms & being in a place where the sounds of shooting is normal & lots of places a body could be hidden.  When I go down range leaving my firearms on the table, I ALWAYS have a pistol on me. But there are so many places a hidden sniper could be waiting to kill me and steal from me. As unlikely as the above sounds, I remember hearing about the above scenaro happening before somewhere.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:15:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Whats sad is that the above range was scraped & cleaned up right after the rifle deer season. Within two weeks it started getting trashed out again.  Not to change the subject but-----------------------------

Does anyone else ever feel paranoid when shooting at public ranges?  Even when I'm the only person there, I sometimes do. Maybe because of the value of the firearms & being in a place where the sounds of shooting is normal & lots of places a body could be hidden.  When I go down range leaving my firearms on the table, I ALWAYS have a pistol on me. But there are so many places a hidden sniper could be waiting to kill me and steal from me. As unlikely as the above sounds, I remember hearing about the above scenaro happening before somewhere.  

I haven't shot at any of the outdoor public ranges yet, but now you have me thinking.  I assume the safe thing would be to bring a buddy or two.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:41:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I haven't shot at any of the outdoor public ranges yet, but now you have me thinking.  I assume the safe thing would be to bring a buddy or two.

I'm always armed when out there so that never really crossed my mind.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:25:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

mid 80s, the two dudes that had the miami shootout with the feds shot a guy out in the swamp that was target shooting, just to steal his car.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:01:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm always armed when out there so that never really crossed my mind.

Yea but when you go downrange, your back is to whomever is at the line &  I don't want to only bring a pistol to a rifle fight.  Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I still don't like it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:37:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Good point.....I never go shootin alone either....so thats probly another reason I've never really thought too much about it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:58:28 AM EDT
[#19]
shooting alone, thats bout the only time I feel really safe, when I'm shooting with other people I think of all the shit I've said to them and that keeps me looking over my shoulder when I'm down range,got  to make sure one of my "friends" isn't sighting in on me, man sometimes its the shits to be
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:13:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Where is the range in Wagoner and Ft. Gibson located?  Im very familiar(or thought I was) with both areas.  I'm from Muskogee and never been to either of these places.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:18:07 AM EDT
[#21]
im in muskogee also and i find that is the only places to shoot around here. the range in wagoner is just past the airport on the right not sure what highway it is. and the ones in ftg are more like places everyone has grown up shooting at since it not advertised as a place to shoot. they are located between okay and ftg along the grand and arkansas rivers
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:25:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Fortunately, my family has alot of land out in Brushy Mountain in South Muskogee that I can shoot on anytime.  Nice to go shoot when I want and I dont have to worry about retards.  OTOH, gets kinda boring shooting by my self all the time.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:28:25 AM EDT
[#23]
well we should get together sometime and go. i usally get together with a couple of buddies and go every couple of weeks or when i have the money.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:20:27 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
well we should get together sometime and go. i usally get together with a couple of buddies and go every couple of weeks or when i have the money.

You've missed out on a few shoots....met up at Lexington probly 4 or 5 times and at Jasons place once.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:23:14 PM EDT
[#25]
ya'll live to far away,it would take me 2 or 3 hrs to get there. it takes about 2.5 hrs from here to norman
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:28:58 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
ya'll live to far away,it would take me 2 or 3 hrs to get there. it takes about 2.5 hrs from here to norman

Oh...dang....yeah, that sucks man!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#27]
The only drawback at Wagoner is they only have 3 tables with 2 per table. Wish the range at Wagoner went  further than 100 yds. A shoot would be fun though.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

funny you mention that......

The first time me and Jeff1 ever met each other was pretty much off the beaten path at one of my shooting spots....... both of us kept loaded pistols on us for quite some time..... eventually talked about it and laughed about it.......

So no your not the only paranoid person out their ........ my motto is be prepared son be prepared .......  If i'm by myself I at least have a loaded pistol on me and often  i carry a longarm down range ...... my dad taught me when i was a little kid never shoot all your ammo up

Now when i shoot with jeff i don't even worry about having a loaded gun hes got enough on him to throw me one if need be
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:18:21 PM EDT
[#29]
HaHa!, you guys scared of the dark and the boogyman too, all jokes aside, I'm not real worried bout somebody shooting me, now don't get me wrong, I don't want to get killed or maimed, I just figure I got it coming to me sometime or another for all the mean shit I've done, besides if someone realy tried to kill me they'd quake in their shoes after looking me in the eyes, they'd see their future in them, and know that my ghost would come back to haunt them and theirs till they passed, that goes for ya'll too, if I die before ya'll do, then set an extra place at the table, I'll be visiting come dinner time.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#30]
It's not just public ranges that have trash problems.  My "members only" range has trash issues too.  Seems slobs are everywhere.  At least we get to kick them out when we catch them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top