Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2006 7:42:10 AM EDT
I am fixing to get into reloading and have some questions.....

Does anyone reload .223 ?

What bullets have you used and what has worked the best ?

Do you prefer a brand of brass ? primers ? powder ?

Am I just plain crazy to want to reload .223 ?

I have more questions but they can wait.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:07:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I've done all types of reloading, on both a Dillon 550 and an RCBS Rockchucker. Unless I am trying to get the ultimate accuracy out of a rifle, I don't  bother reloading for it.
Handguns are a different story. I did shoot more handgun rounds than rifles, so I loaded 9mm, 45 ACP, and 38/357, just because of the volume I shot.
If you are wanting to get the best accuracy out of a bolt, reload. If you are just blasting, get cheap ammo.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:09:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, I would like the best accuracy out of an AR.

I am all for cheap ammo but I really don't want to hunt with wolf ammo.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:38:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Unless you're hunting coyotes, a 223 ain't much of a hunting cartridge. Don't get me wrong, I've killed deer with a 223, but it ain't all that great a cartridge for deer.
I was partial to IMR powders and Sierra bullets in 223 when I reloaded for it.  Be careful of the bullets you buy, some are very thin clad and will blow up in the critter - varmint bullets! Federal primers have always been my favorites!
My son has been having really good accuracy results with PMP 55 gr softpoints in his Savage bolt!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:15:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Hunting coyotes is what I will be doing and a little plinking here and there.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:11:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I am fixing to get into reloading and have some questions.....

Does anyone reload .223 ?

What bullets have you used and what has worked the best ?

Do you prefer a brand of brass ? primers ? powder ?

Am I just plain crazy to want to reload .223 ?

I have more questions but they can wait.

I reload for 223, I have gotten my best results with Hornady 55 gr Spire Point, which is a soft point bullet, I'm using IMI military brass, with CCI or Winchester primers, and AA2230C powder, which is very inexpensive, I get the bullets in bulk from Midway, they are also inexpensive, cost for reloading 223 with this bullet is about 10 cents per shell, or $100 per 1,000.  Average velocity for this load is 3114 fps from a 24" barrel, all groups shown are at 100 yds.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:01:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Wingman,
I ordered a Varmint AR with the 18" barrell.....I liked the way yours looked.

I read somewhere that your not supposed to use softpoint in an semi-auto, something about the tip getting messed up and throwing off your accuracy. Any truth to that?

That is some good groups.  What is the furthest you have shot good groups?

Many thanks for the info ....it will save some time going through all the BS trying to fing what works good.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:33:51 PM EDT
[#7]
SP get deformed in a semi auto mag. The thought is if the nose is deformed, it won't fly straight!
That is when you use bullets like Nosler ballistic tips.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:58:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
SP get deformed in a semi auto mag. The thought is if the nose is deformed, it won't fly straight!
That is when you use bullets like Nosler ballistic tips or some high quality wolf polymer coated stuff.

Fixed it for ya BrokeBackDan!!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
That is when you use bullets like Nosler ballistic tips.

IIRC the article said that the mag wasnt the problem, its when it is put into the chamber- it gets mashed then. I don't know about semi-auto but I have/do shoot a bolt and it is not a problem. I would think that if Wingman can use them that it shouldn't be an issue. I will not shooting matches with the ammo just coyotes and metal targets.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:05:00 PM EDT
[#10]
All the rounds I'm shooting are fed through the magazine, you can chamber a cartridge and then take it out, no distortion at all, if there was I wouldn't be getting groups like that.  

I was originally shooting FMJBT bullets, when I tried the Hornady 55 gr Spire Point, which is a soft point, I got noticeably better groups.  In any case, that particular bullet the lead portion doesn't really stick out, it's well protected.

One of the TV gun shows, either American Rifleman TV, or Guns and Ammo TV, told about one of their writers doing an experiment with soft points, the ones that really do stick out and are exposed, he took clippers and intentionally mangled the points, some were removed entirely, there was very little  difference in accuracy.  

Again, this bullet doesn't have a big exposed soft point hanging out in the wind.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:50:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I read an artical where the author used a high speed camera to film the bullet leaving the barrel and shortly in flight, he used SPs,  HPs and FMJs, the SPs were missing the exposed lead tips when they came out of the barrel, he theorized that the lead tip had melted off from the heat created by the friction of traveling down the barrel and the burning of the propellent, he purposely deformed the tips of all three kinds of bullets to see how it affected accuracy and his theory, only the SPs were not affected since only the exposed lead had been deformed, whether or not this is true I don't know, but  FWIW I fire hornaday SPBT in my 10 and it still groups fine.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:47:20 AM EDT
[#12]
I use SPBT's in my .06 and it groups GREAT! Then again they do call me Eagle Eye!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:57:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Soft shooting rounds like the 223 won't deform much in the mag. A 308 will.
Many match bullets are HPs because the cup actually stabilizes the bullet.
Bullet deformation doesn't have that much effect on groupings but does have some.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:57:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes....I reload!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Yes....I reload!
www.pbase.com/wingman26/image/37123411.jpg

Could you stop by and clean my reloading area up and make it look that neat
I've got a dillon 550 saved me a lot of money reloading for 45 back when i really used to shoot
i miss those days ......
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:58:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:]
I've got a dillon 550 saved me a lot of money reloading for 45 back when i really used to shoot
i miss those days ......

I guess using Wolf ammo in your guns doesn't really count as shooting!

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:25:19 PM EDT
[#17]
It just means I'm good enough to get the job done regardless of the limitations of the ammo
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
It just means I'm good enough to get the job done regardless of the limitations of the ammo

hell I just point my finger, fan my thumb and yell bang bang bang
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:49:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Which finger?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:22:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which finger?

the shootin one of course.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top