Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2006 3:03:42 PM EDT
(cross posted)

Is there any way for regular folks to check to see if firearms are stolen if doing a FTF deal?
I've actually sold guns to people in public service and some of them ran a 10-28 to check for stolen,which isn't a bad idea.
Is there any way for a regular person to do this?
I guess if you have a friend in public service they could do it for you?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:21:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Believe it or not  that is a good question.

I would like to add,

What would happen to the seller if the firearm turned out to be stolen, BUT had no idea it was.

I beleive the seller would have turn over the firearm, BUT would any charges be brought against the seller?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Believe it or not  that is a good question.

I would like to add,

What would happen to the seller if the firearm turned out to be stolen, BUT had no idea it was.

I beleive the seller would have turn over the firearm, BUT would any charges be brought against the seller?

It is my understanding that as long as you made reasonable inquiry into the status of the item when you bought it,then you are immune from criminal charge of receiving stoled property.
(probably as long as the other facts and circumstances surrounding the sale were reasonable as well)

If a LEO can call in a 10-28,can regular folks do it?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:06:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Why would you want to call in a 10-28 on a possible stolen firearm? Wouldn't you rather call in a 10-29? Better get your updated ten-code list and start memorizing it.

I know I can do it and do it anytime I come in contact with a big ticket item (car, gun, boat, 4-wheeler, etc). Saves me some possible headache. The bigger question is, do I fit into the title of "regular folks"?

Oh, and hey, don't ask us. Call the friggin' soul sisters up in records and try it for yourself and then tell us what they said. Or, borrow your friends radio, tune it to "O" Ocean, give them a designator like Charlie-30 or something and see if they'll give you a return.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:24:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would you want to call in a 10-28 on a possible stolen firearm? Wouldn't you rather call in a 10-29? Better get your updated ten-code list and start memorizing it.

I know I can do it and do it anytime I come in contact with a big ticket item (car, gun, boat, 4-wheeler, etc). Saves me some possible headache. The bigger question is, do I fit into the title of "regular folks"?

Oh, and hey, don't ask us. Call the friggin' soul sisters up in records and try it for yourself and then tell us what they said. Or, borrow your friends radio, tune it to "O" Ocean, give them a designator like Charlie-30 or something and see if they'll give you a return.

10-29 *is* check for 'wanted' isn't it?
my bad.

TwoBravo,I don't think you fit into the category of 'regular folks' since you are a firefighter.
Obviously you can call in a gun  from an individual anytime you want 24/7.
Could you call one in for me if i wanted you to?
(obviously you and I will never get that far....but i'm just asking hypothetically)

As tempting as it sounds,I don't think i will try to call one in to Ocean from a friend's radio.
i just don't see any good coming out of that deal.

Are you saying that I can actually call records,though,and find out info about the gun?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:33:15 PM EDT
[#5]
When I worked at the SO if someone called and asked us, we would do a 10-29 on a firearm they might be wanting to purchase, you might call your local PD or SO (NOT 911!) non emergency phone and ask them.

The key thing to do is to know your seller, if you know the person, and know they would never have anything to do with a stolen item, that's the best insurance you can get.

If you are found with a stolen item and are innocent of any personal wrongdoing, it can be returned to the rightful owner, and you will be SOL.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:39:59 PM EDT
[#6]
10-29  is stolen. Somtimes it i used incorrectly neg.wanted or wanted.  Depeding ere you that may be 10-44. Switching to Ocean would do little. NCIC is on teletype. Ocean is local only. Firemen can not run stuff legally more than any other peeps. They just have friends do it the same as anybody else with a friend. Some pds/sos will do it for anybody. Damn I had to retype thi 3 times. I am on  my mdt at a part time.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:52:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Listen two-bravo i know you are only trying to be a good person but your "LEO" advise on this board astounds me.  I honetly hope you are joking.  but after you defended yourself onthe dropgun thing im not sure right now.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:44:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you are found with a stolen item and are innocent of any personal wrongdoing, it can be returned to the rightful owner, and you will be SOL.

This is very true,good point.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:49:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Firemen can not run stuff legally more than any other peeps. They just have friends do it the same as anybody else with a friend.

So you're saying my LEO and firefighter friends cannot LEGALLY call in a 10-29 on a person's gun that they or I am wanting to buy?
Why would that be illegal?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:18:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Firemen can not run stuff legally more than any other peeps. They just have friends do it the same as anybody else with a friend.

So you're saying my LEO and firefighter friends cannot LEGALLY call in a 10-29 on a person's gun that they or I am wanting to buy?

fireman  cant do it period,its not part of a firemans job to run 29's on items, unless you are a cleet certified fire marshal.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:19:41 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

my bad.

TwoBravo,I don't think you fit into the category of 'regular folks' since you are a firefighter.
(obviously you and I will never get that far....but i'm just asking hypothetically)

As tempting as it sounds,I don't think i will try to call one in to Ocean from a friend's radio.

Are you saying that I can actually call records,though,and find out info about the gun?

What's being a firefighter got to do with anything? I've never once identified myself as a firefighter when checking to see if something was reported as stolen. Firefighters have no law enforcement capabilities that I know of. At least, I don't.

Could I call something in for you? Hypothetically, sure I could.

Yes, I am saying you can actually call records. The only "info" we were talking about finding out though, was whether or not the gun was stolen. Again, give them a call and then come back on here and tell us what they said.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:26:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Listen two-bravo i know you are only trying to be a good person but your "LEO" advise on this board astounds me.  I honetly hope you are joking.  but after you defended yourself onthe dropgun thing im not sure right now.

You don't know much then. How do you KNOW I'm only trying to be a good person? Huh?
Yes, that part of my response was a joke, but even if it wasn't, a guy would have to be a potato head to do what I suggested now wouldn't he?

I didn't know that I ever needed to defend myself on the "drop gun" thing. I only stated what my experience was. Are you talking about something different? Send a PM or something.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:33:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Not bad, shcitze! Getting everybody stroked up with your baiting! You really are an instigator!
Watch out, guys! Schitze may turn out to be more of a provacateur than JN!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:33:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Not bad, shcitze! Getting everybody stroked up with your baiting! You really are an instigator!
Watch out, guys! Schitze may turn out to be more of a provacateur than JN!

nice try.
I cross posted this on a few forums just to get as many responses as i could.
I had a couple of people do it during a transaction so i just wondered if there was anyway a 'civilian' could do it for self protection.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:36:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

my bad.

What's being a firefighter got to do with anything? I've never once identified myself as a firefighter when checking to see if something was reported as stolen. Firefighters have no law enforcement capabilities that I know of. At least, I don't.

Could I call something in for you? Hypothetically, sure I could.

Yes, I am saying you can actually call records. The only "info" we were talking about finding out though, was whether or not the gun was stolen. Again, give them a call and then come back on here and tell us what they said.

Duly noted.
(BTW,care to PM me the number?)
I assure you that it will not break our 'agreement'.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:54:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Go away, troll.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:05:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Go away, troll.

Your opinion is duly noted as well (many times)
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:12:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
(cross posted)

Is there any way for regular folks to check to see if firearms are stolen if doing a FTF deal?
I've actually sold guns to people in public service and some of them ran a 10-28 to check for stolen,which isn't a bad idea.
Is there any way for a regular person to do this?
I guess if you have a friend in public service they could do it for you?

Why, you trying to unload some hot stuff and trying to find out who to look out for?

Can't your buddy MB run it for your for a few ounces of throat lube?

Just go away.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:35:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Duly noted.

596-9222 is the non emergency number for your area I think. Just listen to the choices and pick whatever option suits your needs.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Duly noted.

596-9222 is the non emergency number for your area I think. Just listen to the choices and pick whatever option suits your needs.

i'll give it a shot.
thanks.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Duly noted.

i'll give it a shot.
thanks.

Will that get him unbanned Mr. "super moderator"
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Why, you trying to unload some hot stuff and trying to find out who to look out for?

Just go away.

well,see i can't ask him to do it since we are both part of the fencing ring.
That wouldn't make too much sense would it?

*****Edited to remove disrespectful comments.****
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:02:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just go away.

well,see i can't ask him to do it since we are both part of the fencing ring.
That wouldn't make too much sense would it?

On a side note,Cudd,you seem too preoccupied with homoerotic oral  excursions.
Are you trying to bust my balls or are you merely projecting doubts about your own sexuality?
(not that there's anything wrong with that)

No problems there, just ask your mother!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Will that get him unbanned Mr. "super moderator"

i'd be happy to discuss that offline but TB and I have an agreement that would probably be breeched by my discussing issues between he and I.
j.p.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#25]
As someone posted in another thread "can't you feel the love".
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:40:46 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't know much then. How do you KNOW I'm only trying to be a good person? Huh?
Yes, that part of my response was a joke, but even if it wasn't, a guy would have to be a potato head to do what I suggested now wouldn't he?

I didn't know that I ever needed to defend myself on the "drop gun" thing. I only stated what my experience was. Are you talking about something different? Send a PM or something.

Its cool, I beleive i mistook what you actually where saying. my bad
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:49:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Firefighters have no right to run anything or anybody(most of the time). Police are supposed to run things only for criminal investigations. According to the FBI and OLETS everything comning of a terminal are priveledged to down right classified. There have been several recent cases that have got officers in trouble for running things without a clear criminal investigation.
Tulsa police/sheriff's records will run a record check for stolen only throught the tracis system. This means that it had to be reported to TPD or TCSO.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:00:41 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Firefighters have no right to run anything or anybody(most of the time). Police are supposed to run things only for criminal investigations. According to the FBI and OLETS everything comning of a terminal are priveledged to down right classified. There have been several recent cases that have got officers in trouble for running things without a clear criminal investigation.
Tulsa police/sheriff's records will run a record check for stolen only throught the tracis system. This means that it had to be reported to TPD or TCSO.

Can the records check (for non LEO) be called in 24/7,or does it have to be during reglaur business hours?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:44:24 AM EDT
[#29]
I dont know you will have to try it. I just switch ti teletype
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:09:18 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Remember when I referred Schutze to TPD Records division? Now you know why I guess. He can't call teletype, but he can call Records Division. Silly though ain't it?

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:15:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for the info.
FWIW,records division told me that they could not give that kind of imformation out to a citizen.
what gives?
I guess the people that checked/bought my guns must have just called their own department to check?
One of the perks of the job,I suppose.

It's too bad they won't give the info out because you could definitely save yourself a headache when buying FTF from people you don't know.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info.
FWIW,records division told me that they could not give that kind of imformation out to a citizen.
what gives?
I guess the people that checked/bought my guns must have just called their own department to check?

It's too bad they won't give the info out because you could definitely save yourself a headache when buying FTF from people you don't know.

So basically, what the police just told you in a round about way is that they would rather you not know whether or not a gun you bought in good faith was stolen or not. They would rather make an arrest of a (hypothetically) law abiding citizen rather than give the person information that could save a felony on his record?

Sounds pretty strange to me. Maybe if they told you it was stolen you would go turn it in like a good citizen. I guess they'd rather not tell you anything and take their chances (or is it YOUR chances?) out in the world. Soemthing to think about I suppose.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:22:00 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info.
what gives?

That's  funny cause I talked to one of their supervisors last night and she said they would. Of course that really suprised me. After the security guard/warrant fiasco I did not think they would runany thing for any body.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:50:38 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
After the security guard/warrant fiasco I did not think they would runany thing for any body.

What's that all about?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:55:42 AM EDT
[#35]
No B.S. guys,they told me "no"
Maybe it all depends on who you get on the phone?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top