Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2006 10:39:36 AM EDT
I bought a piece of 3/8 steel the other day to cut out a coyote target with the kill zone falling and reseting. I haven't found a good picture of a coyote to base my target on. Can anyone help me out?

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:48:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is where you can get a picture target for a $1.09.  Maybe you could cut it out to use as a siloutte for your steel.  

http://www.turkeyhuntingsecrets.com/store/store-targetspaperdept.htm#CoyoteRed%20FoxRaccoon
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Linky.

Now, do you need help picking one?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:25:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Linky.

I vote for Wile E. Coyote.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:45:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks 1dreamer, just what I wanted..... thank you too Sister
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:10:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Range report  -        That 3/8" steel plate didn't hold up worth a damn. I shot 4 times at 125 yards and seen the spots but when I got there it had 1/2" or bigger holes.

I shot it with my 6.5X55 and was wondering it the 3/8" steel would stop a .223 (5.56) ?

What do they use at ranges that have hanging steel targets?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:55:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Big differences in steel. Armor plate at 3/8 would stop a hispeed bullet like the 6.5 or 223. By hispeed, velocity in relation to bullet weight.
I'm not sure of the steel deisgnations any more, but you might check into getting the armor plate. It is more expensive and can't be welded unless it is heated cherry red first to get a penetrating weld that will hold.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:02:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Range report  -        That 3/8" steel plate didn't hold up worth a damn. I shot 4 times at 125 yards and seen the spots but when I got there it had 1/2" or bigger holes.

I shot it with my 6.5X55 and was wondering it the 3/8" steel would stop a .223 (5.56) ?

What do they use at ranges that have hanging steel targets?

DAMN! 6.5x55....is it a swedish mauser by any chance? My old man has one of those and we chrony'd it at around 3300 fps I believe. I think he's sighted in at around 400 yards with that rifle.....for Wheat Fields......where you can see the deer at around 1200 yards makin thier way towards you..... So yeah, I believe the 3/8" steel targets havin holes in them. Getcha some 3/4" targets....that will probly hold up for your needs.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:03:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Linky.

I vote for Wile E. Coyote.

I didn't see any that had the face of my loserexwife but if I did....I'd be investing in some of those targets!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:32:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

DAMN! 6.5x55....is it a swedish mauser by any chance? My old man has one of those and we chrony'd it at around 3300 fps I believe. I think he's sighted in at around 400 yards with that rifle.....for Wheat Fields......where you can see the deer at around 1200 yards makin thier way towards you..... So yeah, I believe the 3/8" steel targets havin holes in them. Getcha some 3/4" targets....that will probly hold up for your needs. hr

Its a Ruger M77 mark II

Quoted:
Big differences in steel. Armor plate at 3/8 would stop a hispeed bullet like the 6.5 or 223. By hispeed, velocity in relation to bullet weight.
I'm not sure of the steel deisgnations any more, but you might check into getting the armor plate. It is more expensive and can't be welded unless it is heated cherry red first to get a penetrating weld that will hold.

Know any places that carry armor plate?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top