Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2006 6:14:15 PM EDT
I'm looking for a flattop upper receiver, but will have to get some type of sights (carry handle, buis, optics, etc).  I thought this might be an alternate route.  This will be used with a 20in barrel.  Seems like a more appropriate setup for a 16in barrel.

Good or bad thoughts welcome.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/images/utacute.gif
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:55:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you going with Model 1 sales? I can tll thats where this pic came from, or are you just using it for a refernce pic?? If so you need to read some stuff before you make that decision on getting it from them. My upper is from Model1 and I love it, I haven't had 1 problem with it. Although there's others out there that have had problems. So let me know if you're plannin on buying from them.

I'm not wild about the fixed rear sight myself. I have an M4gery with the flattop upper. IMHO I think its alot more flexible than having a fixed sight on the back side. You can put anything on there you wish if its flat w/o the fixed read sight. Thats what I like about it. If you do go with a flattop upper and you want a carry handle, I'll sell ya the one I have for a fair and reasonable price.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:02:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I just linked the picture from the Rock River website.  I'm not familiar with the company you mentioned.

Were you looking to sale your upper receiver or just the carry handle?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:16:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
On a 20" gun I think you'll regret it.  If you ever want to throw a scope on, you're out of luck.  I'd go with a standard flattop and an LMT rear if you want the fixed reliability, or a LaRue rear.

Just my 2cents hr

You're probably right.  

I'm replacing an A1 upper.  Will the A1 front fixed sight have the same height  as the A3(LMT, etc)?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
On a 20" gun I think you'll regret it.  If you ever want to throw a scope on, you're out of luck.  I'd go with a standard flattop and an LMT rear if you want the fixed reliability, or a LaRue rear.

Just my 2cents

While I agree with going with a flat top, I disagree agout the scope.  You could always use an A.R.M.S. cantilever scope mount and co-witness it with Aimpoint or Eotech.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:35:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:40:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I just linked the picture from the Rock River website.  I'm not familiar with the company you mentioned.

Were you looking to sale your upper receiver or just the carry handle?

Just the carry handle. Heck, I'd be tempted to sell the complete upper....if the price was right......hmmmmm. I donno what it'd take for me to let it go.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Just my 2cents

+1

DrBaker

Something else you need to consider if you leave the standard front sight on it unless you use some ungodly high rings on it you will be able to see it in the scope........

My buddy has that problem right now on a colt flat top 20 inch gun........ He doesn't like the scope mounted high enough to keep the front sight out of his scope and he doesn't like the scope mounted low with the FS in his FOV............ he hasn't decided if he want's to chop his fsb or buy a fold down.........

as far as the ute upper go's if your building a carbine that your going to use an aimpoint or EOtech on and want a fixed rear sight I think it's fine but it wouldn't be my choice for anything else YMMV
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#9]
JTAC twisted my arm so I ordered an upper from him.  

Damn the peer pressure here.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Jason's got good stuff! You'll be happy!! And you'll need to bring it to his little gun shoot sometime in the spring or early summer!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top