Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2005 6:54:00 PM EDT
With all the crap going on the last few days, I still found a tractor with a front loader that I liked.
It's an International 656 - 60+ HP diesel with a 6 ft bucketed front loader. Looks to be in fairly good shape, new paint, no blow by, no leaks on the hydraulics, 3pt works good, a live pto, power steering, 6 ft brush hog,  and weighs 7000 lbs.Unknown number of hours but the motor sounded good and started fairly easily.  Ain't nobody gonna steal that big sucker without a BIG RIG!

It's $6200, about $11,000 cheaper than a 3200 lb 40 hp  4WD New Holland with front loader I looked at today. It also had a 6 ft brush hog, 6 ft box blade, not trailer, and only 500 hours.  Hell, a  brand new 30 hp 4WD New Holland with box blade, front loader, brush hog, (all 5 ft implements) with a trailer would have run $16, 500 to $17000.
Now I have to find a 8 to 12 ft disc, 150 to 300 gal spray rig, and a seed drill. I'll get my pasture looking good yet. I wonder how many deer 10 to 15 acres of vetch and rye will bring in next fall!
I might plant a couple of acres of hay grazer too. Maybe  clover down the fence lines.
I think the vetch and rye is probably the best way to go.
I took momma out to see her new tractor. Of course she was thrilled.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:17:49 AM EDT
[#1]
that looks just like what I need to dam up the creek in my dads front yard, been wanting to make a pond outta it for years.

MLW>"<
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:32:24 AM EDT
[#2]
nice tractor!

Throw in a couple patches of chicory and clover.
Watch out with that vetch, once you get that stuff established, its hard to get rid of, without plowing.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:11:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Sweet,  now you dont have to chop ole bigfoot up into many pieces, just drag him out...
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:59:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
nice tractor!

Throw in a couple patches of chicory and clover.
Watch out with that vetch, once you get that stuff established, its hard to get rid of, without plowing.

Thanks, oly! I know getting rid of vetch is a beast, that is the attraction of it. I want to plant it plus rye, let it all go to seed for a couple of years, then start haying it. I've got a high line running through the place, wooded on both sides,  that I may put in chickory and clover like you suggest.
I cleared over a thousand cedars off the pasture - hadn't been cultivated in 30 years. I left a few male cedars and any 8" or larger oak trees that were up. Not necessarily the "smart" way to set it up for hay but more aesthetically pleasing as far as looks on the place.
I've got one place I need to fill in, about a 1/4 acre low spot. I'm going to fill it up with the remaining brush piles and burn piles, and what other trees I clear out. That front loader is going to be best thing I've done since I've got the place!
I did leave two sizeable plum thickets alone on the place. I've seen more deer bedded down in those plum thickets in spring time than I ever would have imagined.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:20:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Good for you getting those cedars out!
Oklahoma's a prairie, not a forest!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:46:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Sweet, when can you come mow my yard?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:06:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Hi there, I know you guys have alot on your minds right now with these fires, but I've been considering buying a place in Ok. I went up and looked at a place near muskogee about a year ago, was close on buying it but had a "miscommunication" with the seller through their agent. If you hear about something that is priced reasonably and could support something like 1 AU per evry 2-3 acres would you mind sending me an e-mail?

Thank You!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:29:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
1 AU per evry 2-3 acres would you mind sending me an e-mail?

Thank You!

Whats a AU?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:18:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
1 AU per evry 2-3 acres would you mind sending me an e-mail?

Thank You!

Whats a AU?

Agriculural unit,?  A cow with calf?  I believe he's talking about livestock, I'm just guessing, ark. One cow/calf per 5 acres seems to be the norm for grass grazing in central OK. A friend's dad had 60 some sections of land out in New Mexico leased for cattle. He was running one cow/calf per 50 acres.
To find that good a grass land in eastern OKlahoma may be pretty difficult unless you are fertilizing, irrigating,  and plan on cutting hay off of it. I ain't no farmer or rancher, just someone playing, so don't take my word for it!
So long, boys! Back off the the now dead ( I HOPE!) inferno in Logan County!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:40:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Sorry I was'nt more specific, I translate AU as Animal Unit, 1000 pounds of cattle, either cow/calf or two steers or a big bull.  It sounds like getting that much out of 2-3 acers might be a bit much but I would be willing to fertilize, do some irrigation and things like that as long as it is cost effective. even at 1AU per five acres I would still be happy. I really like Ok. my parents were born in El Reno and OKC. I still have some older relatives out there but they get a little nervous when I call them, they think I'm going to ask them for a share of mineral rights on some property that my granparents owned according to my cousin. Good luck with the grass fires,  I hope everything works out.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice tractor! You got a great deal on it w/all the implements and the loader. I wish deals like that existed around here. You mentioned that you cut 1000 cedar tree's from your pasture...did you do anything with them? Cedar is quite expensive here in the South East.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:31:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Nice tractor! You got....

Slacker, most of 'em were red cedars. We are having a major problem with red cedar infestation in this state. Most of the ones I had cut out were less than 10ft tall and not good for wood. I left quite a few male cedars,- no berries on 'em,  all of 'em over 15 to 20 ft tall. I've got to trim 'em up where you can walk under 'em, leave a few whole for wind breaks.
I've got a disc, been looking for a sprayer to get the grass good. I'm gonna break up a chunk of it into rye and vetch, some into hay grazer. I'm just playin', gonna make money out of it someday.
The pond on the place still hasn't filled up but I got a large spring cut out that won't ever dry up.
So water will always be on the place. I may get a pump on the tractor PTO and fill that pond up some day soon. Still got lots of brush to burn and a few more trees to clear off.
I hired a Bobcat with a tree shear on the front and he is the one that took all those cedars down for me. Really cleaned the place up!
I'd been better of buying a full 160 ready to go, but I'll shape this place up the way I want!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top