Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2005 2:54:31 PM EDT
It is a 5" EC, no front cocking serrations, Heinie Night sights, 30lpi frontstrap and msh, and Black T finish. I may change the grips to VZ diamondbacks.  I ordered it in May.  I can't wait to take her out .

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:11:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice, How much?

Needs a ambi safety....
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:12:04 PM EDT
[#2]
That is a thing of beauty.................keep us 45 people informed with a range report.....
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:15:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Very nice, How much?

Needs a ambi safety....

not for me...........if I'm shooting left handed putting it on safe is the last thing on my mind
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:22:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Wanna trade for a Taurus?

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:28:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wanna trade for a Taurus?

acmandanc
let the man have a serious thread........
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:42:14 PM EDT
[#6]
One thing for sure about that Rock River 1911 - it's going to be a damn site better than most 1911s you can buy as far as fit, function, and accuracy!
Let us know how it runs!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Very nice, How much?

Needs a ambi safety....

It was right at $2k with the Black T, and the VZ grips.  I used to have 7 pistols (I know that's not much for alot of you) but I decided I'd rather go more for quality than quantity so I sold some of them to help purchase it.

I'm not a fan of ambi safties.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:50:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Very nice, How much?

Needs a ambi safety....

It was right at $2k with the Black T, and the VZ grips.  I used to have 7 pistols (I know that's not much for alot of you) but I decided I'd rather go more for quality than quantity so I sold some of them to help purchase it.

DAMN 2k for a pistol, damn damn damn.....Thats the reason I have never bought a Wilson Combat 1911....and I would really like to have one of those...
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:51:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Well out of my price range!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Very nice, How much?

Needs a ambi safety....

me neither, if you need a ambi safty, then you don't need to be carrying a 1911, the only things you need ona a 1911 are a good set of combat sights and a beaver tail grip and commander style hammer, and lotsa mags and ammo.

MLW>"<
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:19:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Very nice, How much?

Needs a ambi safety....

me neither, if you need a ambi safty, then you don't need to be carrying a 1911, the only things you need ona a 1911 are a good set of combat sights and a beaver tail grip and commander style hammer, and lotsa mags and ammo.

MLW>"<

Not if you are a LEFTY, like I am.

Having a Ambi Saftey on a 1911 for me is GREAT, how about you carry a 1911 right handed with the safety on the left side of the frame only.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:43:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Very nice, How much?

Needs a ambi safety....

DAMN 2k for a pistol, damn damn damn.....Thats the reason I have never bought a Wilson Combat 1911....and I would really like to have one of those...

That's what I used to think.  I decided it was better to have a couple of pistols exactly how I would want them over having more pistols.   I really didn't use more than $250 cash from my pocket along with the money I got for selling a few pistols.

I decided all I really needed/wanted pistol wise is my carry gun, a custom .45, and my Buckmark.  I may get one more pistol in the next year but that's it and nothing as expensive.  When I finish Dental School I will probably get a couple more customs/semicustoms but that's at least 3.5 years away.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat though.  I requested the bushing to be very snug but not so snug I can't use a ploymer wrench to take it off.  RRA's  normal guns have bushings so snug that it will tear a polymer wrench up so you need a steel one.  I also requested the slide stop be fit so the plunger does not have to be manually pushed back to get the stop in.  I'm sure it would have been fitted that way regardless but I wanted to make sure because I had one 1911 in the past that seemed like it required 3 hands to get the stop back in.

My wife just had a c-section so I will not shoot it this week.  She needs me at home until school starts up again.  I'll probably take it out the 6th or 7th and I'll give a range report then.  I'll post a pic of the 50yd test target later.  I can't wait to take it out but this little guy comes first for now:

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:31:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Very nice, How much?

Needs a ambi safety....

MLW>"<

Not if you are a LEFTY, like I am.

Having a Ambi Saftey on a 1911 for me is GREAT, how about you carry a 1911 right handed with the safety on the left side of the frame only.

I happen to work with a dude that carries one left handed, he was who I quoted.

MLW>"<
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:54:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Very Nice, You gota love a nice .45 !!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:03:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Very nice, How much?

Needs a ambi safety....

MLW>"<

Being the old time 1911 shooter that I am, the ambi safety is a BIG plus if you are ever going to shoot or carry left handed. That being said, the first ambi safety I ever put on a gun was a Armand Swenson back in 1978. Colt Series 70s cost $200 at Southwest Shooters at the time.
I don't think there is anyone on this HT site that has had or shot more 1911s than I have over the last 40 years or so. (No kidding - my first shots with a 1911 was at age 8, my first 1911 that I owned was at age 13.)
Necessities on a CARRY 1911, are a good trigger, good visible sights, a textured front grip, ambi safety, properly tuned ejector/extractor, and GOOD magazines. The rest is just wasted money in my opinion.
I'm sure you boys wanted to know it too!
That being said, I carry a Sig 220 if I want a 45.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:43:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I took a pic of the test target.  The guarantee for the Elite Combat is 2.5" 10-shot group at 50yds. They use  Federal Gold Medal Match semi-wadcutters for this target .  This group measured 2.25".  I will mostly shoot Federal American Eagle for range use.  I wonder how much bigger the group would be with that and also with Winchester Ranger Ammo for carry use.  I had them fit the bushing just a tad looser so I can use a polymer bushing wrench.  I have heard that they fit their bushings so snug that you have to use a steel wrench as the polymer ones will not work well.  I have no first hand experience however with RRA 1911's besides my new EC so I could be wrong about how tight or snug the bushing is usually fit.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:27:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Too tight a bushing ain't real good on a carry gun. The most critical part for accuracy on a 1911 barrel/frame/slide fit is in the barrel lugs/slide lock up. (A longer barrel link is a cheap fix for a tighter fit but isn't the proper way to fit one.)  So you didn't get hurt having a "looser" fit on the barrel bushing.
2.25 inches at 50 yards is pretty fair! Reliability with different kinds of ammo is the question.
If it will feed 200 grain semi wadcutters and the 200 gr Speer hps, the gun should shoot anything
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:57:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
That is a thing of beauty.................keep us 9mm/ Taurus people informed with a range report.....

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:43:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Too tight a bushing ain't real good on a carry gun. The most critical part for accuracy on a 1911 barrel/frame/slide fit is in the barrel lugs/slide lock up. (A longer barrel link is a cheap fix for a tighter fit but isn't the proper way to fit one.)  So you didn't get hurt having a "looser" fit on the barrel bushing.
2.25 inches at 50 yards is pretty fair! Reliability with different kinds of ammo is the question.
If it will feed 200 grain semi wadcutters and the 200 gr Speer hps, the gun should shoot anything

Yea I don't want the bushing too tight, but there's nothing wrong with a good snug fit.  I know some people think it should be no more than finger tight so it can be disassembled on the spot by hand.  As a carry gun though I don't think if it ever malfunctioned to the point of needing to disassemble it that I would stick around to try and do so if I was being shot at.  I never understood that argument.  Now if I expected to be in a war zone that would be different, but I don't epect that to happen in Oklahoma any time soon

They do make them to run semi-wad cutters reliably so it should eat most any ammo.  I'll just need to up the recoil spring weight to 18.5lbs because they come stock with a 16lb spring.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top