Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2005 9:00:37 PM EDT
okiehunter39's thread gave me an idea. How about some of us members set up a youth shoot, for our kids, Grandkids, Nephews, neices, and all kids. If there is any interest I would be glad to handle all the details. If there is enough interest we could even have one a month, or a bi-monthly shoot.
Are there any okie members that are Official NRA R.O.'s? If so please speak up as your assistance will be required.

Maybe some tulsa area members could do their own group youth shoot's. That way we could have shoot off's between groups, and with only 1 group, every body may not be able to travel to one range all the time.

Come on, it is for the kid's! Yes, you big ones can come as well.hing
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds good to me, as long as everybody is safe.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:58:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll help! I'm an NRA instructor and will be willing to supply handguns and ammo for kids to shoot.
Safety is paramount of course. Most youngsters have a real fascination for handguns and NEED to be instructed in the safety and types of handguns. Let me know how I can help.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:28:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Bump for a good cause............ I like KIDS got 2myself and love to see people promote gun safety&shooting sports with them........

Wish I lived closer so i could participate.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:51:54 PM EDT
[#4]
okiehunter39: Safety will be first and fore most on the list. I am about to get with danc46, as he has offered assistance. I want it to be fun, but safety is a must! You were the inspiration for the idea and I thank you! Maybe this will come together and become a part of our legacy to our children, Grand children, and all young people! If not it will be a blast for those willing to join in the fun.

danc46: email to you shortly! Thanks for stepping up!hail2.gif

acman145acp: I am going to try and cover as much area as I can with this adventure! As I stated before, we may be able to get two or three groups going in different areas.hinking.gif If you could generate some interest in your area and find an NRA instructor to assist, maybe you could form and lead your own grouphereWe may have two stages as well, rimfire and centerfire? We may also categorize in group's according to age, size or skill if we have masses respond and this grows, or ever get's started?
Right now I am concentrating on just getting a feel for interest at this point. This will NOT be a pay type event unless we obtain enough activity that it becomes a full time job to keep up with thing's.
In the event this happens we will asses the situation at that time. I do not look for that to happen, but you never know? This will be a supervised event in the event that we have an event!here
For example:
RULE #1: SAFETY FIRST!!
RULE #2: There will be none of these allowed periodhoot If you have questions as to why nothavingI will be able to inform everyone of more details as this get's going!

Thanks to those who have responded!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:04:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:45:48 PM EDT
[#6]
 I don't want everyone to get too sidetracked, but I've got to chime in.  In my experience kids who've never shot a full auto weapon are often safer then adults who've never shot a full auto weapon.  Kids actually listen to what you tell them while their parents usually act like a jackass demonstrating their extensive full auto experience they gained from watching both Die Hard 1 and 2.

Still I agree it might not be best for full auto at this type of shoot.  Not because of safety but because beginner shooters shouldn't be taught the spray and pray method of hitting the target.  Better to teach them to make every shot count until they're proficient at it, then hand them the M-16.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:50:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Bummer on the fun guns. My kids are quite safe (granted they get watched pretty closely and I have ZERO tolerance for screwing around at the range and they know it).

My 5 year old can field strip it and name most of the minor parts.  He will also gleefully recite the rules of gun saftey and explain them if you dont understand them in 5 yo terms.

www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=500/148451919_bmg_jakeloading-med.jpg

or "Daddy let me shoot the ba-cheen-gun."
"It was cool!"

www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=500/14845pat3.jpg

"What do you mean Im TOO LITTLE!"

www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=500/148451919_bmg_patfunny-med.jpg

The 1919 isnt FA but does have a crank installed that allows it to reach FA rpm - the kids love it and the tripod can be locked in position to add control

I am going to get with danc46 and discuss this and see if it will be possible to allow tham or not. Since this will be an organized event, This may change! Until we see what is going to take place, we will go with it as a no for now, possible subject to change!
None of that matters if we can not get any interest generated! First of all we need folk's to want to get involved before we get carried away with rules and regs.
After we get some shooters, we will work on the rest. I am not going to put a bunch of time in on this and then not have a group to go along with it.

Nice pics. by the way, them boy's look like they been training for the sand box!hoThis is for them! Okay you big kid's got to play nice though!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:45:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

...beginner shooters shouldn't be taught the spray and pray method of hitting the target.  Better to teach them to make every shot count until they're proficient at it, then hand them the M-16.

Well said! Accuracy and safety come before  make-believe antics with a firearm.
I'm not adverse to allowing kids blowing up lots of ammo. I've set a full ammo can down in front of my son and his friend(s) and let them have at it with an SKS at a 100 yd paper target.
But that will get old to a child relatively fast. They had more fun shooting a 22 LR with a range compensating scope at the turkey at 150 meters at 12 yo than shooting the SKS. Cmpetition with a firearm is a way of encouraging children into the shooting sports.
Each have their place, quality of shots first, then quantity of shots!
A demonstration with a select fire weapon might or might not be appropriate, all depending on the number of kids and demographics of the group.
But under no circumstances should any child be allowed to fire a select fire at an organized shoot with an "open" audience. Just because of the BS some mother might start!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top