Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2005 12:46:21 PM EDT
I married his mother 4 months ago.  His dad is into football on the couch, and doesn't like guns, so it is up to me to teach him about the shooting sports.  We shot the .22, and after a lesson on basic gun safety, we proceeded to have a LOT of fun.  After he shot maybe a 100 rounds, his groups shrank to quarter sized at 25 yards!!
I then put a can of tomato soup out there and let him put a hole in it with a hollow point.  When he picked it up and watched all of the red goop come out of the split that ran the whole can, he kinda got the idea I was trying to get across.  YOu should have seen his eyes when I hit a can with a 30-30.  He isn't scared of guns, but he is a LOT more cautious when he picks one up.  This is the first time I have gotten to train my own hunting partner, and it is more fun than I thought.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:16:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you had a great time.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:23:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Sounds like you had a great time.

We sure did.  Now I just have to get my build started so we can have even more fun!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:24:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Teaching a boy early on about gun safety and shooting will be a big asset to him.
Good for you!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:44:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Teaching a boy early on about gun safety and shooting will be a big asset to him.
Good for you!

+1 Keep takin him shootin n learnin gun safety!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:49:13 PM EDT
[#5]
now take him squirel hunting, started taking my daughters when they were 4 and 5, and before they went to live with their mom they could spot one along way off even before I could, my youngest used to pet them like a cat while she carried them, when we still hunted, I had to keep the girls seperated cause they'd start playing with the squirels like puppets.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:26:10 PM EDT
[#6]
That is great! If we do not do it who will. My kids love to shoot. More important, they have been taught firearms safety. I do not think that there is a proper time to start them, as long as they are interested. Just remember with kids it has to be fun. If you are on them like a DI, they will lose interest. They need to know safety and handling procedures, but it needs to be fun. My now 5 yr. old daughter, got her 1st coyote 3 day's before her 4th birthday. The best hunt I have ever had and I did not even harvest a animal!

Weather you know it or not, you have taken a small step to making a big impact in that young mans life.You are doing something that most men will not even do with their own children! Hat's off to you here bud!hooting Back to the board I go!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:43:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
now take him squirel hunting, started taking my daughters when they were 4 and 5, and before they went to live with their mom they could spot one along way off even before I could, my youngest used to pet them like a cat while she carried them, when we still hunted, I had to keep the girls seperated cause they'd start playing with the squirels like puppets.

That is down the road this year.  It is sad, but his dad won't let him go to an organized hunter's safety course.  I ran ranges in the Army, so I am teaching him correctly, but it is still sad.  I love to squirel hunt, so after a practice sesson or two we are on the way to the woods!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:49:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
That is down the road this year. But his dad won't let him go to an organized hunter's safety course.  

Will his mom let him???
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:02:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That is down the road this year. But his dad won't let him go to an organized hunter's safety course.  

Will his mom let him???

Yep....his mom will be joining him in the hunter's safety course.  She got her first deer last year.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:57:52 AM EDT
[#10]
SWEET!! hehehe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top