Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2005 5:17:26 PM EDT
This is a dupe post on my part I put it in the SF forum just thought I would show you okies how paranoind I am .................

Before you see the pics and weight.
Read my dilemma......
I work 31 miles from home. My son who currently lives with his mom is 10 miles farther
that gives me 41 miles packing for 2.
This bag is set up for worst case scenario winter walking the whole way.
Food it's heavy but It's something I rotate out and eat.
I figure if it's bad enough that me and my son are walking this distance things are really bad and
I should at least try to get food in him that he likes at least thats been my line of thinking. It's enough to last us 4 days maybe 5.
I plan on covering 10 miles a day.
1 usgi canteen cups and stoves
2 triox
3 spoons
4 fire starters magnesium/flint , waterproof matches, disposable lighters, cotton/vaseline 1of each
  in both bags

5  water treatment   my bag kat pocket filter, polar pure  his bag pa plus he knows how to use it
6  camp towel & soap  tp in his bag
7   navigation    gps,maps in my bag   compass in his bag for a backup
8   batteries for gps it eats them...... batteries for his led light and mine ....extra p38 can opener
9   lights led light in both our bags
10  I have 2 qrt canteen and 1qrt canteen he has 3litre bladder

shelter
11     50 degree bag for me
12     sleeping pad
13     fleece bag for him
14     bivy bag for him
15      9*9 tarp 100ft of 550 cord  "just got the tarp been useing the tent"
16     wind proof wet weather gear
17         2 emergency blankets his pack
18        1pair of extra socks for both of us.
19        I keep a cheap 2man tent with this it would go weather dependent

My bag large alice with improved kidney pad with the food all my gear most of his it weighs 42-45pnds with no water in it.  Their is also a small first aid kit in my bag not much because I'm not
a medic. His bag weight 10pnds with full bladder so I'll have something to drink while getting to him.

The bad part is if I had to leave from work I got to carry both bags 52-55 pnds yea it's a lot but I can do it .......it isn't exactly fun though I carried a similar load twice last year while scouting.
My usual hunting/ bob I carry about 38 pnds and walk about 6-10 miles a day bow hunting and scouting so I do get practice walking with a load.

The good news is My best friend lives about 2miles from my work and unless things have gotten way out of control I can pick up my extra line 2gear and weapons. He will also be able to supply me with an extra 4wheeler he has so hopefully I wont have to carry all this crap on my back.

Food is really where I need help cutting weight it has to stay in high heat conditions during the summer... tool box on the truck . All sugestions appreciated.
almost forgot to list the food
16 servings of rice
4 cans of tuna
3 cans of spam
1 can of oysters
1 can of chili
3 cans of ravaioli
1lb beef jerky
1lb trail mix
grand total of about 12lbs
theirs a little candy in his bag

I didn't post pics of every thing cause my ISP is slow........

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:59:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I posted on your thread in the survival forum, and my bag and web gear weights as much as yours, do to the amount of ammo I'm carrying, my total food stores weight is pretty light since its all dried goods, but I've carried my bag for 10+ miles on several occassions and I know I can do it for at least three days in a row, its gets ligher due to the food being eaten, but mine is an ammo problem.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:19:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Rule of thumb for water needs is 2 gals per day per person. That is approx 14 lbs of water per person per day. In a pinch, pack some Chlorox, a gallon will treat 55 gal of water to purify. Some type of filter apparatus would also be nice. If in a truck, one of those Action Packers loaded with the goodies is nice. Hoofing it, I'm a dead man if it comes to that.
It ain't gonna get that bad (hauling ass out of Dodge) unless you are downwind of Houston or Dallas.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:36:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Rule of thumb for water needs is 2 gals per day per person. That is approx 14 lbs of water per person per day. In a pinch, pack some Chlorox, a gallon will treat 55 gal of water to purify.
got that covered polar pure is iodine crystals last forever and treats 2000 qrts bleach goes bad over
time

Some type of filter apparatus would also be nice. thats what the katadyn pocket is water filter   If in a truck, one of those Action Packers loaded with the goodies is nice. Hoofing it, I'm a dead man if it comes to that. get your ass out and start walking
It ain't gonna get that bad (hauling ass out of Dodge) unless you are downwind of Houston or Dallas. I am depending on the weather sometimes it blows from the south for days

Food is my problem I like to carry food never know by looking at me I like to eat would you.......
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:49:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Acman, the motorcycles, skydiving, running, football, coaching soccer,  climbing and crawling and being a fat boy, etc. took care of the knees. I am a few months away from having the left knee replaced - after the next shoulder is done so I can be on crutches. I figure I might as well go ahead and replace the knee while I am drawing SS Disability,
I want to go back to work and the only way is to have the knees replaced.
So walking is out of the question.
Some type of filter cloth like chees cloth to filter out dirt is what I meant in case you need more than the small filter can handle.
The Chlorox is just a cheap way of cleaning the water, I've dumped it down wells before to make sure it was good. Two gallons will make the water sparkle! Better not drink it for a few days, though.
IM inbound.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:23:27 PM EDT
[#5]
IM sent
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:49:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I am lucky my house in the woods And I work in the BFE. I keep my glock 19 + mags  in car and  CAR15 + 5 30rds mags in the trunk with. I keep a small bug out bag in car. My house is ready to go off line any time it needed. I would think MRE would save some weight. I am more worried about water than food. chlorox is fine but it only takes one drop in a gal of water. I like to add glow sticks in my bug out gear. But I can not see any reson I should have to leave my house but if I do I have 4x4 in the garage 24/7 full of gas and ready to roll. I have well and 50 gals of gas to run power. . we have  horses and not 4 wheelers they are don't run out of gas. We have done some dry runs  Camping in the woods in Colorado for a week at a time my family will be fine. I was a boy scout to long I guess.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:43:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
IM sent

I got it and thanks I will have to try that out when I get some of that valubale "time" that I'm always short on........

okguy91

Even though I work in my home state Texas which is pretty liberal on carrying a gun they just clarified the existing law to say if your in your car your "traveling" which means anyone can have a loaded pistol in their car no CCW required.

The place I work it is a strict no no to have firearms ...... dogs that sniff for drugs and gunpowder....

I'm lucky on a short run I can make it to a friend who has a rifle and pistol that I gave him 10 yrs ago he said I can use them anytime I need them....

The Horses are kick ass thing to have. I hope to get mule's in the next few years.......

I'm stuck with 2 4wd trucks and several 4whlrs now..

My dad always told me it was a good idea to have enough shit ready to grab and be gone in under 2 minutes..........I've taken it to heart.......

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:54:43 AM EDT
[#8]
That would suck having a job like that. My job don't like it but there is not a car or truck in the parking lot that does not have a gun in it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top