Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2005 9:21:31 AM EDT
Just bought 20 acres in wooded area of Weletka OK.
Going to build my own freaking range come hell or high water.
Looking for someone with access to a dozer, need at tops 2 days of work to build back stop.
Person with the dozer would have full access to the machinegun range.
Drop me a e-mail if intrested
Walte in OKC

Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:37:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Build a pond and use the damn as the berm. That way you can get an agricultural permit and use it for a tax deduction, like grazing calves.
The bad news is that a good dozer will cost you $75 an hour. I really don't think you will have much luck finding someone to trade that out but good luck!
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:33:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Like I said come Hell or High water the range will be built.
Just trying to give some other machinegunners a chance for a place to shoot at no charge.
Walte in OKC

Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:46:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I have not seen your place but sounds like it more than a 2 day job. I am a cat skiner do u know how much fuel it would cost it to do a job like that. If it takes like you said a 2 day job with no trees $100 buck a hour 4 min time two days 10 hours a day $2000 bucks. That is some high dollar free range time. I wish you the best of luck. I work at a mine I drive a cat D11 the only one in the state of oklahoma and we have two D10 cats . If you rent a D6 or a D4 I will help with the cat skining.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          PS I talk to my boss at work his brother has his own dozer service. He said the going price for the D9 cat is $95 a hour.  he said your looking a 2- 4 day job at $95 a hour for a mg berm . You could rent a bob cat with rip tooth bucket $175 a day After a couple of weekends and you have a nice berm. What is the soil like there? If it hard shale you will have to add rip time to your project and that is $95 a hour all so. $95 a hour sounds like a lot but fuel is $2 buck a gal at 15 gal or more a hour plus travel fuel there in a semi truck. The driver need payed and those cat parts are not cheap and PAyments on a $750,000 d9 are not cheap. danc Ideal of a pond is a good one. My father inlaws pond cost over $10,000 and that was over 20 year ago.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:29:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have not seen your place but sounds like it more than a 2 day job. I am a cat skiner do u know how much fuel it would cost it to do a job like that. If it takes like you said a 2 day job with no trees $100 buck a hour 4 min time two days 10 hours a day $2000 bucks. That is some high dollar free range time. I wish you the best of luck. I work at a mine I drive a cat D11 the only one in the state of oklahoma and we have two D10 cats . If you rent a D6 or a D4 I will help with the cat skining.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          PS I talk to my boss at work his brother has his own dozer service. He said the going price for the D9 cat is $95 a hour.  he said your looking a 2- 4 day job at $95 a hour for a mg berm . You could rent a bob cat with rip tooth bucket $175 a day After a couple of weekends and you have a nice berm. What is the soil like there? If it hard shale you will have to add rip time to your project and that is $95 a hour all so. $95 a hour sounds like a lot but fuel is $2 buck a gal at 15 gal or more a hour plus travel fuel there in a semi truck. The driver need payed and those cat parts are not cheap and PAyments on a $750,000 d9 are not cheap. danc Ideal of a pond is a good one. My father inlaws pond cost over $10,000 and that was over 20 year ago.

friggin crap....

you forgot the beer too.....
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:50:21 PM EDT
[#5]
yes and beer to
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:08:30 PM EDT
[#6]
okguy91

Does a D9 really use 15gal of fuel an hour.  Figure 2 a gallon*15gallons=30 x8hrday is 240bucks
which means your going in the hole about 145 and hr in fuel a day I got you now. I was drunk when i typed this the first time

Or did you mean 15 gallons a day.  

All I have ever run is backhoes gradealls............. various other equipment never a dozer.
I can't ever remember useing anything close to 15 gallon an hr.  

I'm no expert by any means so if I'm missing something tell me to shut the hell up.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:37:52 PM EDT
[#7]
The d 10 and d 11 take 150 -200 gal in 8 hour shift the 657E take 180- 200 in a 8 hour shift. I whould think a d 9 would drink 8 - 15 gals a hour if was riping or pushing but ripping take more that pushing a slot. if he has a dozser service come out the $95 a hour is with fuel. Dozer are fuel hogs. The tank on the D11 is like 400 gals. A d9 is the biggest you can haul down the road. D10-11 are put together on site.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm glad I left my disclaimer at the bottom so you could tell me to shut the hell up.

I was drunk doing math last night

I still had no idea a dozer used that much gas.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:53:39 PM EDT
[#9]
lol              I  didn't  know how much they drank that much myself till I started running them ether.  Dirt work is not cheap.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:00:33 PM EDT
[#10]
So where is the only -11  in Ok at? I saw one of them a few years ago on a trailer in OKC, no tracks, undercarriage sittin on the deck and sprockets overhanging the sides of the trailer and I was like DAMN. Them things is big.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:29:05 AM EDT
[#11]
The D11 is in nw okla at the Southard Ok in the USG Quarry. We all so use cats largest scrapers they are the 657E they haul 42 yards of dirt at in the bowl.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:07:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Okla wildlife dept used to have a program where they would provide funds to build a pond on your property. Like one of the previous poster said that may be a good way to get your range. It does have disadvantages though. I am not sure but I think you have to let anyone who wants fish on your land and two they will send the info as income to the IRS. Of course a good tax accountant could probably loose that as a business related expense as your new FARM is not making money yet. You might also take off your range house, covered shooting area.....uuurr I mean barn and shed,
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:39:23 AM EDT
[#13]
BOYD of OKC quoted a D6 or Case 850 dozer @ $2,750 a week & $500 for delivery & pickup.
Estimated fuel usage is 5 gallons per hour.

They said it could push over 18inch diameter, 25 foot tall Oak trees with no problems.

Was thinking about renting it to run the fence lines.
Of which around 1200 foot of it is wooded, most trees are are around 4-6 diameter with a few larger 12-16" diameter trunks, all being Oak.

Lot is 660 wide x 1320ft long, nearest living neighbor is .5 miles north & .75 miles east, all the rest surrounding  is abadoned land.
With the elderly female owner living in Woodland Hills Calif.

The ground is sandy loam with some sandstone boulders.

Only need to push about 900 linier foot of dirt against the wooded area to make the back stop.
Figured that would take about 4 hours.

Also found a local guy in Weleetka with a D4 that rents out for $475 for a 10 hour day.
Might just end up using him.

Keep the advice coming
Thanks
Walte in OKC

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Use of federal or state funds to build a pond takes months, even years, to get approval. As far as renting a dozer and doing it yourself, you are better off hiring it done unless you are an experienced operator. I'm not unfamiliar with earth moving equipment, enough so to know it would be less costly and quicker to have a decent operator do it. Not all operator are "go getters", meaning you will pay for time not being used "effeciently". Like paying for 15 hours and only getting 10 hours worth.  
Whoever you use, get referrals and honest appraisals of their work. It'll save you lots of money in the long run.
The last dozer I used cost $75 an hour in tandem with a large track hoe ($75 an hour also).
The guys were good and I was well pleased with the work they did.  As far as clearing out a fence line, a bobcat with the tree cutter attachment can save you lots of money and time. They make a better stack for burning the brush as well - no dirt berms or mounds to deal with after the brush is burnt. But you may have to deal with the stumps cut flush with the ground when driving t-posts in for the fence. Not too many, but a few.
Hell, if you want to shoot MGs, I've got a place close to OKC that you are welcome to shoot on.
About 30 miles north of Lake Hefner.  Thinking about trying to raise a night shoot up again soon if we can get some participation. I don't think anybody is really interested in 90+ weather.
Maybe when it cools off!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:27:36 PM EDT
[#15]
DANC - I will let you use mine in exchange for the use of yours, then we will have 2 places to go.
Hopefully will have mine done around Christmas, Thats when I get the year-end bonus $$$.

I'm a respondable old fart 54yrs old with a M-10, AC556 & FNC that I hope to get around Chrsitmas, depending on when Branch gets off their ass's.

e-mail me for all my info
thanks
walte in OKC
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:37:52 PM EDT
[#16]
That d 4 don't sound to bad at $475 for 10 hours. Have you ever pushed trees with a dozer ? But if you are clearing trees I think the d6 is a lot safer.  IF you want to call Larry Denton in Oakwood and have hims shoot you a price his D9 is only $95 a hour that is them running it and fuel. I think the D6 is only $65 a hour with them running it and that is with fuel. Have you ever run a dozer in the sand? I am thinking if you have never run one in the sand you could stick it and with out knowing how to drive it out then $$$$$$$$$ cost you more and more. Plus if you run a tree in the cab and get hurt or killed that would suck. Sand is the worst soil and if you have a dry creek on your place you will get stuck big time. Trees are not any better. I think in the long run that having larry or his son's come do the work will be cheaper. As Danc said Larry will give you a honest bill and work. He has done a lot of work for my father inlaw and I work with two of his brothers. If  there is a full day work there I don't think they will charge you shipping and if they do I will not be $500 bucks . Larry Denton is been in Oakwood over 30 years.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:01:56 PM EDT
[#17]
larry # is (580) 891 3317 or call (580) 891 3348  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:10:26 AM EDT
[#18]
http://members.cox.net/etb476/land1a.JPG

This is the planned area for the machinegun range, as indicated in the light blue text area.
The blue lines are my boundry / fence lines that I would like to clear out.
Was thinking about pushing enough dirt to create a 15 foot tall dirt backstop & then use the additional 400 foot plus to trees as a backup to prevent overtravel of bullets.

At least now you guys can sorta see what I'm up to,

Walte
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:04:10 PM EDT
[#19]
AHHHHHH Let the prank calls begin!! LOL I'm kidding!!!  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:45:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Are there any loggin companies in the area that buy the timber where the fences are goning to go?
If so they will pay you for the timber and cut it and hual it off for ya.

You might be able to get by with a wheel loader too.  A loader with a root rake is a dandy tool for up-rooting trees, and then change to the bucket and make your berms.

I have a local range here that wants to build a combat pistol range.  Now if I can only get the customers to quit renting the excavators on the weekends I might be able to get done in a weekend.

Just my $.02.

Good luck

Rich B.
Orlando, FL

ps: I am in the equipment rental biz.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top