Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2004 5:00:15 PM EDT
State bill 2122 (I think)  is supposed to go into effect nov 1 from what I read in the Oklahoman a couple of weeks ago.  Anyone heard of this yet?   The law that states that employers in the state of Oklahoma has no jurasdiction over firearms in locked personal vehicles on company property.   This will mean I can park in our company parking lot instead of the church lot across the street afte nov 1 and not worry about getting firedhis
Of course this excludes schools and federal places
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:13:24 AM EDT
[#1]
ENROLLED HOUSE
BILL NO. 2122                                                                                        By: Ellis, Braddock, Adkins and
                                                                                                                  Sweeden of the House

and

Shurden of the Senate

An Act relating to firearms; proscribing certain persons from prohibiting the transporting and storing of firearms in locked vehicles on certain property; amending 21 O.S. 2001, Section 1290.22, which relates to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act; proscribing certain persons from prohibiting the transporting and storing of firearms in locked vehicles on certain property; providing for codification; and providing an effective date.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF OKLAHOMA:

SECTION 1.      NEW LAW      A new section of law to be codified in the Oklahoma Statutes as Section 1289.7a of Title 21, unless there is created a duplication in numbering, reads as follows:

No person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity shall be permitted to establish any policy or rule that has the effect of prohibiting any person, except a convicted felon, from transporting and storing firearms in a locked vehicle on any property set aside for any vehicle.

SECTION 2.      AMENDATORY      21 O.S. 2001, Section 1290.22, is amended to read as follows:

Section 1290.22

BUSINESS OWNER’S RIGHTS

Nothing A. Except as provided in subsection B of this section, nothing contained in any provision of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Section 1290.1 et seq. of this title, shall be construed to limit, restrict or prohibit in any manner the existing rights of any person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity to control the possession of weapons on any property owned or controlled by the person or business entity.

B. No person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity shall be permitted to establish any policy or rule that has the effect of prohibiting any person, except a convicted felon, from transporting and storing firearms in a locked vehicle on any property set aside for any vehicle.

SECTION 2.      This act shall become effective November 1, 2004.

Passed the House of Representatives the 24th day of February, 2004.

Passed the Senate the 25th day of March, 2004.

Approved by the Governor of the State of Oklahoma the 31st day of March, 2004, at 3:30 o’clock p.m.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:19:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn I love this state!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:47:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Damn I love this state! hr

Not bad at all huh
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:53:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Now what I have done for the past 8+ yrs is now legal.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:01:01 PM EDT
[#5]
(Don't want to edit out  the whole law to just quote one line.)

Now, this says ANY business. Would you feel safe to include hospitals in this? I know they are always skittish about this kind of thing, and don't really feel like pushing my luck.

Thanks,
   Craig
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:40:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
(Don't want to edit out  the whole law to just quote one line.)

Now, this says ANY business. Would you feel safe to include hospitals in this? I know they are always skittish about this kind of thing, and don't really feel like pushing my luck.

Thanks,
   Craig

Local law cannot supercede state law my friend.  As long as it is not a federal hospital like an Indian hospital then you will be good after nov 1.   Only thing exempt from this law is schools and federal property.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:37:36 AM EDT
[#7]
you always could under title 21 SS 1290 (OK SDA)
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
you always could under title 21 SS 1290 (OK SDA)

No,  People have been fired from their jobs for having a concealed gun in their car while parked on company property.   And the ones I know about were not able to get their jobs back after investing 20+ years in a career.   The company I work for has the same policy and I used to disregard it until a couple of months ago when we had some cut throats making alligations on another employee friend of mine just to try and get him fired.  I have been parking across the street since then and will continue to do so until nov 1.   Jobs like the one I have arent just handed out to people so this is a big step in the right direction for this state.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top