Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2004 8:47:19 PM EDT
I went to the Banner Gun Range today with a friend of mine. We had two subguns, a rifle and a pistol to shoot with. When we arrived at the office, there was a sign posted outside that said "No Full Automatic Weapons Allowed".

We went inside to look around for a minute and an older guy at the counter asked if he could help us. We told him that we were just looking for just a minute and were going to have to go elsewhere because we wanted to shoot the subguns. His reply was "Nope, we don't allow those here". I asked him why and he said they were "illegal". I told him that they weren't if you followed the proper procedures and had the proper paperwork. He replied that they were still illegal because the "State Law" didn't allow those at the Banner Range. He told us that there were only two ranges in the state that were "Licensed" to allow machineguns and one was in Tulsa and the other in Lawton. I asked him what state law he was referring to and his answer was "I dunno, but they're illegal".
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:11:02 PM EDT
[#1]
He's full of shit. I did a little search of Oklahoma law and the only MG prohibition was in Oklahoma hunting regulations:

"Firearms Restrictions
   On all WMAs where specific target or shooting ranges have been provided for public use, the discharge of firearms for purposes other than hunting is restricted to the ranges provided. Exemptions may only be granted by the Director of the Department upon prior submission of a written application setting forth the location, date, nature and purpose of such activity.
Fully automatic firearms are prohibited for use on any Department-managed lands, except as otherwise provided for military training."

www.wildlifedepartment.com/regs/huntregs12.htm

Canadian Valley Ranges (Banner) are not part of any ODWC management system. In short, Harry is just another Elmer Fudd dickhead.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:58:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 4:19:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been in Law Enforcement for over 20 years myself. I can respect a range not wanting full-autos on their range, but I hate being lied to.

I used to shoot High Power Rifle competition for the Oklahoma ANG at the Okc Gun Club. I knew they didn't allow full-autos and I was really suprised to hear recently that they are now having 3-gun matches.

You should have seen the look on his face when I asked him to tell me what law the restrictions came from and then him saying "I dunno". I don't think he's ever been challanged before.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:44:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm a cop.
There is no such state law.  However it is the ranges right to not allow them.  Honestly if I owned an unsupervised open range I might not either with liability like it is.  That old guy is a pretty nice guy but old people sure are stuck in there ways.

I'm a member of the OKC gun club and they don't allow full auto either.

I'm a member there also, and I can not figure out why they will not allow them.  I've asked other long time members, and they have no idea.  There are probably one or two asshats on the board that are very vocal about not allowing them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:08:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm a cop.
There is no such state law.  However it is the ranges right to not allow them.  Honestly if I owned an unsupervised open range I might not either with liability like it is.  That old guy is a pretty nice guy but old people sure are stuck in there ways.

I'm a member of the OKC gun club and they don't allow full auto either.

I'm a member there also, and I can not figure out why they will not allow them.  I've asked other long time members, and they have no idea.  There are probably one or two asshats on the board that are very vocal about not allowing them.

The only logical reason I can think of the OKC Gun Club not allowing F/A would be the close proximity of houses in the area and their desire to be a good neighbor. MGs are just obnoxiously loud on full-auto, I don't think anybody will deny that.

Most of the other ranges that ban them do so (I think) out of ignorance. Tri City Gun Club just flat bans the presence of MGs on their premises, while OKC Gun Club's rules simply prohibit them being used in full-auto. In fact, Tri City doesn't really like ANY NFA weapons on their premises. They used to get a little uptight about my using suppressors there.

If Harry's such a nice guy, then why doesn't he just give a straight answer? He could just say he doesn't allow full-auto because it's his range and his rules. This bullshit about it being "illegal" is just laughable as hell.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top