Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/30/2003 11:36:47 PM EDT
Hey guys,

me and Ark ere thinking about getting an Ak shoot up and running here in the State.is anybody interested? let us know ?
john
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 3:57:11 AM EDT
[#1]
where abouts? im in el reno just west of okc.let me know where.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 4:22:27 AM EDT
[#2]
What if you don't have an AK?
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 8:12:16 AM EDT
[#3]
maybe we can have an all around AR-15.com shoot? what do you guys think.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 10:45:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I am interested for sure. Either rifle is fine with me. I am in the Tulsa area but also work OKC area.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 11:11:03 AM EDT
[#5]
cool good to have you aboard duffy
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 6:14:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm moving to Mcalester in Mid July or first of August.  I'd be interested if you did it sometime around then or later.  It would be a great way for me to check out the local guns scene and have you guys give me the low down on where to buy, shoot, etc.

I'm gunnu miss TN.  Great shooting ranges and shooters abound here!  So I really look forward to shooting (playing as the wife would say) with you guys.

Jim
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 7:13:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Count me in, if I don't need an AK.  I'm in NW OKC.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 7:47:04 PM EDT
[#8]
yea guys i think i will post on all the ar15 boards as a ar15.com member shoot not just for ak's i think this will be fun and hopfully make some good friends while we are at it..
as for the date i'm not sure yet i may be sent to afganistan in july so we will see but this is somthing i'm serious about getting up and running so i'll keep this ball running.
thanks guys and gals
john
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 1:57:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm down here in the southeastern parts...I think I could make a trip up "north" for a good ole shin-dig. I think thats the correct term. Maybe I'm just wacked out from eating too much lead as a child.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 3:51:36 AM EDT
[#10]
al_bum good to have you on board, we have not set a date yet but i'm thinking this is going to be a bring all your toys gun shoot so feel free to bring what you will.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 9:04:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Hey Gentleman lets really get a nice shoot together. I'm not sure where everyone wants to go but I think Somewhere in OKC or the metro would be good, that would be in the center of the state and maybe about the same drive for everyone. Lexington has a free range if you have a hunting lic.  I think there is a range up by Yukon somewhere. Jimdandy man you have got to be there. Hell maybe Toosharp can even make it. He lives right down the road from me and I have never met him. What do you guys think about May 17/18? 1179 say's he cant make it this weekend or the next so I think 5/17 sounds good to me what do you guys think?
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 10:24:38 AM EDT
[#12]
That weekend is open for me. The only outdoor public ranges that I know of are Canadian Valley off I-40 and Banner Road between Yukon and El Reno and the Lexington WMA range. None allow full-auto and tend to frown on rapid fire (no bump firing). There used to be a privately owned public range out your way at Washington. Some guy operated it on a dairy farm out there.

The best thing would probably be on private land, but I don't own anything or have access to any sizeable areas for shooting in OKC.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#13]
let me do some checking guys i will try  to pull somthing togther, like i said i would like to turn this into a monthly or bi monthly get together.
john
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 2:43:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got a bike race that weekend, but would love to see something regular.  I generally just shoot with my son out at the Canadian Valley range, but he's 8 and not real big on giving Dad pointers.  It would be nice to do something every couple of weeks or once a month.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm up for a shoot. I have AK and AR so any way we do it is fine with me. I'd like to meet some of you guys. I'm in the southeast part of the state.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone know how large the El Reno range is? I have never been there. Lexington is an ok range but it is kind of small. I will check with my neighbor he used to have the range Jim Dandy was speaking of, but he had to shut it down. He told me a while back that he could still shoot there, he just could no longer charge. I dont know if he would be up to haveing a group shoot.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 7:55:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Anyone know how large the El Reno range is?

The El Reno facility is fairly good-sized, but it's not well organized, I feel unsafe, reactive targets are forbidden, and usually plays host to a LOT of people.

I will check with my neighbor he used to have the range Jim Dandy was speaking of, but he had to shut it down. He told me a while back that he could still shoot there, he just could no longer charge. I dont know if he would be up to haveing a group shoot.

This would probably be most preferable. Since you know the guy, you might see what it would take to make it worth his while to host us.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:17:36 AM EDT
[#18]
i think i will take several trips to different local gun ranges and check them out for safty and security. jim where do you usaly shoot?
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:41:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Private property in Grady County. I have a membership to the Tri City Gun Club, but they're showing a youth clinic scheduled for the entire facility on that day.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 6:49:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I was just out at the El Reno range zeroing my new flip up rear sight.  It is an ok range.  There are usually 5-15 shooters there, but they are split up between the pistol ranges and the rifle ranges.  Each range is separated by a 15 foot high concrete wall, with dirt berms downrange.  I would think that if we wanted to do a group shoot, we could get one of the rifle ranges for ourselves.  I believe the old fellow that runs the range used to compete with an M1.  My son and I sent about a thousand rounds of assorted calibers downrange and had a nice day there.  My mini-y comp moved a couple of people over a space.  I was polite about it.  Never seen anything overtly unsafe there.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:45:52 PM EDT
[#21]
cool i will make a trip out there this week and see what i can find out, if its good to go we will set a date for the first shoot.
all weapons not just ak's.
thanks guys
john
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 10:24:45 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I have a membership to the Tri City Gun Club,

So how is Tri City. I've been considering joining. What's the cost per year?
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 10:48:48 PM EDT
[#23]
You guys that say you are in the SE part of the state, where would that be? I almost live in SE OK (Texarkana, TX). Maybe if there are 3-5 of us we could get together in some SE part of the state sometime.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 1:33:14 AM EDT
[#24]

So how is Tri City. I've been considering joining. What's the cost per year?

It's a nice facility, but rule happy. Always lots of activities. Cost for an associate non-working member is $90/year. If you're willing to work, I believe the cost goes down to $55. Regular memberships are higher due to having to put up a deposit for the property. Haven't made up my mind whether it's worth it for me to maintain my membership since it's still a little far from my house. I don't care for some of the club officers (silly acting bastards, you'll see).

CLICK D LINK

I need to get around and see how difficult it would be to get into the OKC Gun Club (within 10 miles of my house).

You guys that say you are in the SE part of the state, where would that be? I almost live in SE OK (Texarkana, TX). Maybe if there are 3-5 of us we could get together in some SE part of the state sometime.

I could probably be up for that. I have property in Push County near Antlers.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:00:08 AM EDT
[#25]

I'm moving to Mcalester in Mid July or first of August. I'd be interested if you did it sometime around then or later. It would be a great way for me to check out the local guns scene and have you guys give me the low down on where to buy, shoot, etc.

I'm gunnu miss TN. Great shooting ranges and shooters abound here! So I really look forward to shooting (playing as the wife would say) with you guys.

Jim

If you liked Tennessee, you'll like Big Mac. Lake Eufaula is right there, you're within forty miles or so of a large 215,000 acre public hunting area (Honobia, say "HO-NUB-EE"), Tulsa's a straight shot up the turnpike for the big Wanenmacher gun show, several good places to eat in McAlester, some decent shopping, and just an all-around good place to live.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:45:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Jim_Dandy,

Are you in McAlester?  I have been trying to get the scoop on local ranges, etc and have come up with offers to shoot on private land but nothing on public or private clubs.  

I used to be big into Hipower shooting but got bored shooting the same thing over and over.  Reloading, tuning, hawling 2 rifles, stool, scope, mat, coat, ammo, etc just got to be a pain in the ass.  So I started shooting IDPA, 3 gun matches and love them.  Any of this kind of stuff going on down there?

Of course after making 4 gun master in IDPA now I'm moving back into rifle stuff with the 3-gun stuff!  Hell, I dont know what I like best anymore.  

Basically, if it goes bang I like it!

Its been a few years since I've been to the Wanenmacher show and I cant wait to go again.

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:19:55 PM EDT
[#27]
No, I live in OKC, but my Dad grew up in Push County and we still have property there and beaucoup kinfolk. I always take the Indian Nation when I go down there and, of course, go through Big Mac.

I'm afraid I'm not much help on public shooting ranges in Pittsburg County, but I know of a couple of avid shooters and a gunsmith or two around Hartshorne. I'm sure any one of them could get more specific.

I know of some clubs around Ada and one down in McCurtain County (where al_bum lives), but that'd be a little far for you.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 12:19:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Yeah I figure you guys across the state find it unsutable for a shoot down here. Central or close to that would probably be great. Big Mac would be awesome. Laters!!!
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:21:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Ok here's the deal. I guess I misunderstood 1179. I talked to him last night and he said he has to work this weekend. I would still like to do a shoot though. I think the range at my neighbors isn't going to work. So I was thinking maybe Lexington WMA range. It's free and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of people wanting to go [7] including myself so range size really isn't that important. If anyone wants to go then post it here or IM me. If you guys want to go to another range then that would be fine to. Lets get it hammered out tonight. We could always wait for another weekend if that's what we need to do.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:20:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Im a Tulsa Native and any weekend u all want to shoot, I will be ready. They closed down my rifle range here in big T-Town so i dont have anywhere to shoot at the moment. a little bit of a drive is not a problem.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 3:46:49 AM EDT
[#31]

So I was thinking maybe Lexington WMA range.

I'm not positive, but I think anyone using the Lexington WMA range must possess a valid hunting license. You might want to verify this so that everyone stays on the right side of the law.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 5:41:50 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

So I was thinking maybe Lexington WMA range.

I'm not positive, but I think anyone using the Lexington WMA range must possess a valid hunting license. You might want to verify this so that everyone stays on the right side of the law.

Yes you are right, you have to have a valid hunting license.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#33]
So what's the plan at this point? Lexington? El Reno? Anyone??? Bueller? Bueller?
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 8:28:37 PM EDT
[#34]
I think the board running slow might be throwing people off a bit. But hey Im in for where ever. I would sure like to do it saturday morning though.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:18:50 PM EDT
[#35]
yea the boards have been jacked up here .
lexington says you have to have a hunters license but i've never seen anyone there checking.it would be a good first shoot range
till we find a nicer one.
ark give me a call tomorow.
john
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 10:33:36 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm out for this one, but put up a post to let me know how it goes.  I'm in next time.  Have a nice shoot.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 10:44:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Which day? What time?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:46:16 PM EDT
[#38]
I talked to ark-and-spark last night and we're looking at Saturday sometime. More details as we figure out who wants to go, etc.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:12:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Ok  I deal with my neighbor is definitely not going to work. So where does everyone want to go Lex or El Reno? And what time?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:25:48 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm wide open, but I would suggest an early time to avoid the people.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Hey Jim it looks like it's just going to you and I. Maybee one more. So do you want to go to Lex or El Reno?  
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:22:43 PM EDT
[#42]
How many people do you think there'll be at Lexington? Haven't been there in awhile, so it might be a nice change of pace.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:26:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Well it looks like it's going to be El Reno. At about 9:00 am Anyone that wants to go is more than welcome to come. Im the guy with the stupid look on his face.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 5:02:14 AM EDT
[#44]
man i wish i could be there have a good shoot guys, i will be up for next weekends shoot
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 11:02:44 AM EDT
[#45]
I just got home. It was a pretty nice day to shoot at El Reno. Weather was cool, there were very few people, it wasn't windy. Had a pretty good time.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 1:30:32 PM EDT
[#46]
what did you shoot today jim?
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 3:50:25 PM EDT
[#47]
I brought several pistols and my Garand, but we wound up shooting just the Garand (which shot pretty good for no harder than I was trying) and ark-and-spark's AKs. Spent a lot of time just BS'ing.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:02:22 AM EDT
[#48]
sweet i'm going to the range this coming up weekend . probably saturday.
john
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:06:33 PM EDT
[#49]
okay guys, I went to the range today near el reno. great range , nice prices. i think it will do nicely. if this is okay we will set the date for mid june time fame. i will talk to ark and spark and jim after the holiday and the date will be set then. thanks for the
interest guys . this should be fun.
john
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:38:00 PM EDT
[#50]
I'll be home fopr sure on the weekrnd of th 21 and 22. Thats more at the end of the month than in the middle, but I could go almost any weekend.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top