User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2022 3:32:10 PM EDT
Going tomorrow. What to expect?
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 5:18:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Safety orientation video
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:03:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Normally I'd say expect the 100 yard range to be closed for LE training but tomorrow is the one M-Th all month that it's not.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 5:46:49 AM EDT
[#3]
9min one time ever safety video. The only range open from 9am-2pm is Range 3 (10 lanes at 50yds). After 2pm Ranges 1&2 open (each has 12 lanes at 25yds) and at 2pm Range 4 opens as well (8 lanes at 100yds). Elite is open 9am-9pm.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 10:28:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Cheat link to the wait list.

Elite wait list:

Have fun!!!
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 1:13:57 PM EDT
[#5]
If you have already made it out there - hope it was a great experience.

If you haven't yet - enjoy.

I love Elite. Taking my kids there is an absolute pleasure. They are very encouraging of the young shooters, the facility is nice, and I have never had any problems of any sort with the staff and feel they are consummate professionals. I don't know that I have been back to the NRA range since Elite opened, and the NRA is FAR closer to my house.

-shooter

Link Posted: 5/13/2022 1:50:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Did my retired cop requal. Nicest indoor range I've ever seen, and I've seen many. Staff were nice professionals.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 4:51:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did my retired cop requal. Nicest indoor range I've ever seen, and I've seen many. Staff were nice professionals.
View Quote

I like going there. The place is clean, the staff friendly and they don't hassle me for "my papers" for my NFA toys. I have taken a few new shooters there and they all liked it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 5:44:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I like going there. The place is clean, the staff friendly and they don't hassle me for "my papers" for my NFA toys. I have taken a few new shooters there and they all liked it.
View Quote
Really?  Are you talking SBR's or Supressors or.... FA?   I've asked about FA years ago and they said something like they need you to qualify with an empty range sometime or something like that.  I gave up on taking FA there.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:36:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Really?  Are you talking SBR's or Supressors or.... FA?   I've asked about FA years ago and they said something like they need you to qualify with an empty range sometime or something like that.  I gave up on taking FA there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am talking sbr, sbs and cans. I don't own any FA ??
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 5:02:30 AM EDT
[#10]
The same qual is for FA is required for binary triggers etc.  You can set up a qual via email with one of the RO supervisors. Basically they take you down near the berm on an otherwise closed range and have you shoot. Basically it’s to confirm that the shooter can control the gun (you’d be surprised how many that can’t). It takes less than 5min. FA is only permitted in the 25yd ranges only (There’s 24 lanes at 25yds) and say you’re on lane 5 (lanes 4 and 6) need to be vacant).
It’s a one time thing that stays on your profile when you check in.

Similar for appendix draw. It’s a demo to a range officer that you can draw without flagging yourself and can safely reholster. It also stays on your profile for when you check it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:08:21 PM EDT
[#11]
First class facility with terrific people behind the counter.  Highly recommended.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 9:01:19 AM EDT
[#12]
For those a bit further north, xCal is the new rave. Its more of a gym scene with everything under the roof you can imagine for that. However, you don't need to be a Member to shoot there ($25hr) but their range selection certainly isnt as vast as Elite. Went to both Open House & Soft Opening and was impressed with what they put into the facility. If you have money to burn, have a physically fit family, and enjoy doing some shooting, go take a look. Not really my thing.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 5:57:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not familiar with them, but I'm glad you had a good time.

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:33:13 PM EDT
[#15]
So my googlefu tells me this place is in Manassass.  Is that the right place or is there another location?
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 7:27:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes, Manassas. Just west of City, off 234 bypass.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 10:51:33 AM EDT
[#17]
safety video before range time can start.

very expensive ammo

slightly overpriced guns very limited selection

accessories and etc pretty steep price gouging.

depending on what your shooting caliber wise some of the guys at the counter want to finger your mags. ammo to rub the holy magnet over them.

when asking what caliber is allowed and they say "anything" and you bring in .50bmg and they say "oh yea everything except that"

clean facility, nice wash area at the range entrance.

I try to go to indoor ranges as little as possible.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 11:35:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

very expensive ammo

slightly overpriced guns very limited selection

depending on what your shooting caliber wise some of the guys at the counter want to finger your mags. ammo to rub the holy magnet over them.

when asking what caliber is allowed and they say "anything" and you bring in .50bmg and they say "oh yea everything except that"

View Quote

So what range do you use? There are only two outdoor ranges I can think of in northern Virginia and both are members only.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 11:37:25 AM EDT
[#19]
It is one of the nicest in door ranges I have been to.

I don’t buy their ammo nor do I shop the limited items they sale.

It is also now my go to FFL for transfers.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 2:22:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It is one of the nicest in door ranges I have been to.

I don’t buy their ammo nor do I shop the limited items they sale.

It is also now my go to FFL for transfers.
View Quote

How much do they charge for transfers?
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 2:57:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
32 dollars.

https://www.eliteshootingsports.com/t-transfer-fees.aspx
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 4:25:54 PM EDT
[#22]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

32 dollars.

https://www.eliteshootingsports.com/t-transfer-fees.aspx

ESS also wants you to schedule an appointment to come in for the transfer. Not a huge issue but C&R a half mile away allows walk ins and is $25 last time I used them.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#23]
They also extend Veteran Discounts too......
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 9:32:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Mostly good looking female employees in their hot pants.  

Very nice range facility, well-maintained and the design is great.  100 yard indoor is my preference, even if not shooting that distance.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 12:19:38 AM EDT
[#25]
The place is nice

I go there when i need gunsmithing work done and have jesenready do his magic

May have to go when If i need a adj gas block on my M5 upper and muzzle device put on

Link Posted: 6/8/2022 9:25:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

So what range do you use? There are only two outdoor ranges I can think of in northern Virginia and both are members only.
View Quote

Quantico. or I go out of state

everything else I can do indoors in 30 mins. (handgun proficiency- rifle familiarization)

I'm good with weapons but don't train like a seal.

Link Posted: 6/8/2022 9:45:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

everything else I can do indoors in 30 mins. (handgun proficiency- rifle familiarization)
View Quote

Agreed. Especially if you want to do long range stuff. Only available on weekends though. If you get a good RSO it makes for a nice day!
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 9:32:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is quantico open to the general public? I thought it was military, former military, retirees or people in the club or something?

Can I, joe nobody, show up with my rifle and expect to shoot there?

And to add, so it’s cheaper for you to travel out of state to shoot than just going to ESS? I get it for stuff long range but for just a fun hour with a pistol or trying out some groupings on a rifle, ESS is pretty good.

Don’t get me wrong, I live a few minutes from ESS and I am able to go during their non-peak hours. My opinion might be a little different if I lived in southern prince william or western loudoun, etc.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Is quantico open to the general public? I thought it was military, former military, retirees or people in the club or something?

View Quote

You need to apply to join the club first. If I am remembering correctly, active and retired can join, everyone else needs to be sponsored. I believe @Defender3 is the president of the club.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 9:17:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

very expensive ammo

View Quote

A little common sense goes a long way. How many indoor ranges allow the public to shoot 50 BMG?

Expensive ammo? They sold 50 round boxes of 124 HST cheaper than literally any other store or website during the height of the panic (26.99 until very recently, now it’s 29.99)

They sell most accessories for retail.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 9:19:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

A little common sense goes a long way. How many indoor ranges allow the public to shoot 50 BMG?

Expensive ammo? They sold 50 round boxes of 124 HST cheaper than literally any other store or website during the height of the panic (26.99 until very recently, now it’s 29.99)

They sell most accessories for retail.
View Quote

Their ammo is expensive because ammo is expensive. Their HST prices are still okay. Ball ammo isn't as good, but it has crept closer in price to the high-end ammo so there isn't much they can do either.

Occasionally you'll find a deal there. Heck, I think the last couple boxes of HST 124's I have were from the NRA range because the price was reasonable and they had it on the shelf, right there.

IMO ESS is the best-run range in NoVA by a long shot. They'll even rent ranges and classrooms to unaffiliated instructors for reasonable rates.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 3:56:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You need to apply to join the club first. If I am remembering correctly, active and retired can join, everyone else needs to be sponsored. I believe @Defender3 is the president of the club.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, I am the President. We have the ability to use the Calvin A. Lloyd range complex on weekends (darn Marines actually want to use their ranges during the week, go figure). We have recreational fire ranges from 7yds to 450yds and structured fire out to 1,000yds.

It is a member's only club, based off our agreements with the Corps, but open to all. With the most expensive membership at $150, I think we represent a great value.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 8:08:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yup, I am the https://quanticoshootingclub.com/President. We have the ability to use the Calvin A. Lloyd range complex on weekends (darn Marines actually want to use their ranges during the week, go figure). We have recreational fire ranges from 7yds to 450yds and structured fire out to 1,000yds.
It is a member's only club, based off our agreements with the Corps, but open to all. With the most expensive membership at $150, I think we represent a great value.
View Quote

Thanks for all you do! Remind me please, do we have to renew our memberships? If so, how?
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 10:43:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yup, I am the https://quanticoshootingclub.com/President. We have the ability to use the Calvin A. Lloyd range complex on weekends (darn Marines actually want to use their ranges during the week, go figure). We have recreational fire ranges from 7yds to 450yds and structured fire out to 1,000yds.

View Quote

$150 isn’t bad. How long of a wait to shoot say on the 500 yard range on a Saturday at 3? Just using the time as an example.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 6:10:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Thanks for all you do! Remind me please, do we have to renew our memberships? If so, how?
View Quote

Our MOUs require current signatures on USMC required forms, so you basically have to "apply" each year as the application and renewal forms are the same - USMC rules - not ours. :) The forms are on the website, membership section and downloadable and fillable PDFs. Complete, sign electronically and email them back to us.

Quoted:
$150 isn’t bad. How long of a wait to shoot say on the 500 yard range on a Saturday at 3? Just using the time as an example.
View Quote

I'm chuckling to myself. These ranges are HUGE. We easily fit 50+ shooters on the line at any given time with no waiting and no issues. However, the pace of the range is what you need to master. A Rec Fire range may go Hot and Cold every 30 to 45 minutes so people coming and going don't have to wait to place / remove targets. Precision fire (1,000yds) may not go Hot / Cold for 2 - 2.5hrs as we all have target cameras or steel so we don't need to interrupt shooting. Also know though, you are on a static firing line and shooting on unknown distance ranges out to either 300 meters, or 450yds. You place your target anywhere within and shoot. Precision is similar, firing from the 1,000yd line to the static target line. However, we do place steel at disparate ranges for members to test their DOPE / Skills.

The 1,000yd Range 4 for some perspective.

Quoted:

We've been members since they first opened. We don't go nearly as much as we should, but that's on us. IMHO it's a world class place. Not only for the obvious facilities and how it's run, but lemme get hippie here - for the vibe. It's pleasant and civilized. Just a personal gut feeling, but I suspect that its vibe may be because of the number of women they employ - it's not overly "brotastic", which is a welcome thing for me.

Also, the poster above speaks of the gentleman there that works firearms magic. I concur. Back when he worked with Bernie, I witnessed him expertly assemble lowers, better than most factory on the details in my opinion, in about the same time it takes me to completely disassemble a pump shotgun.
View Quote

Appreciate the kind words, we've done a lot of work to kick the clowns out of our tree house.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 10:26:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Our MOUs require current signatures on USMC required forms, so you basically have to "apply" each year as the application and renewal forms are the same - USMC rules - not ours. :) The forms are on the website, membership section and downloadable and fillable PDFs. Complete, sign electronically and email them back to us.

I'm chuckling to myself. These ranges are HUGE. We easily fit 50+ shooters on the line at any given time with no waiting and no issues. However, the pace of the range is what you need to master. A Rec Fire range may go Hot and Cold every 30 to 45 minutes so people coming and going don't have to wait to place / remove targets. Precision fire (1,000yds) may not go Hot / Cold for 2 - 2.5hrs as we all have target cameras or steel so we don't need to interrupt shooting. Also know though, you are on a static firing line and shooting on unknown distance ranges out to either 300 meters, or 450yds. You place your target anywhere within and shoot. Precision is similar, firing from the 1,000yd line to the static target line. However, we do place steel at disparate ranges for members to test their DOPE / Skills.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/52736/1C4FE4A6-C0E9-4ED3-8CE1-2B3D74F07DB5_JPG-2408567.jpg

The 1,000yd Range 4 for some perspective.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/52736/thumbnail_IMG_0489-2106563.jpg

Appreciate the kind words, we've done a lot of work to kick the clowns out of our tree house.
View Quote

That might be worth looking into after the summer. At $150, even if I only go 2 times in a year, to have a chance to shoot beyond 100 yards would be outstanding.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 3:09:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

ESS also wants you to schedule an appointment to come in for the transfer. Not a huge issue but C&R a half mile away allows walk ins and is $25 last time I used them.
View Quote

LOL this!  And $5 for every gun after (I buy in lots sometimes).  Also a super friendly staff.  I think the owner used to be a member here.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 3:13:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Does Quantico still do the Mad Minute on Fridays for Marines and their disgruntled civil servants (which I are one of...)?

Man, I really need to renew my membership, it's been a few years.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 11:07:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Does Quantico still do the Mad Minute on Fridays for Marines and their disgruntled civil servants (which I are one of...)?

Man, I really need to renew my membership, it's been a few years.
View Quote

WTBN does still hold rec fire every two weeks for the base. It's there event though, not the Club's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top