Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2022 2:34:22 PM EDT
I have been putting it off for a while, but it's time. If I am understanding the rules and regs correctly, whatever firearm(s) I decide to "register" must be on the CA, MD and MA lists. If so, my 43X is out. I was thinking about a P365, but that is not on the CA list either. I have an older Shield and S&W 340PD that are on the lists, I just never carry either anymore. And the thought of purchasing 10 round mags for my Gen 2-19 is making me nauseous.

Any input would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 3:58:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I have carried in DC under LEOSA but now will only do it if driving through. It is a giant pain in the ass because so many areas are off limits with a CCW or under LEOSA.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 2:41:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I did the class with George Lyon (Arsenal Attorneys), who covers the laundry list of rules, laws, gotcha's, etc.  Pain in the behind that your carry gun must also be registered, so if you change guns, buy something new to carry, you have to go through all of the paperwork to register it to be legal to carry it in DC.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 2:45:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did the class with George Lyon (Arsenal Attorneys), who covers the laundry list of rules, laws, gotcha's, etc.  Pain in the behind that your carry gun must also be registered, so if you change guns, buy something new to carry, you have to go through all of the paperwork to register it to be legal to carry it in DC.
View Quote

And it must also be MA-compliant and on the CA roster?  

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 4:41:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/87D543F5-C33B-475C-95CD-45D86133DAC9-476.gif
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/87D543F5-C33B-475C-95CD-45D86133DAC9-476.gif

That is the confusing part. I found something last night from a local gun shop stating that they had to be on the MD list to be approved. The CA list sucks. I can't carry my 43X and I don't believe my Shield (it's an older model) is on the CA list either. I don't carry it anymore, but I think it just has the hole vs the lever to show whether it's chambered or not. The only handguns I have right now that are on the list are my 340PD and Gen2-19. Neither are "ideal" and I don't know what to even buy. I wouldn't mind another Glock 26, but it would have to be a Gen3 and that is just stupid.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 4:41:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you mind if I ask what you paid for the class and what you carry while in the District?

ETA- NOVA Armory does the class for $250 and per their website, one day is virtual.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 5:17:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Smoking a doobie on the streets of DC will give you more street cred and less trouble with the locals  No need to pack.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 12:30:50 AM EDT
[#7]
A friends dad has one. He said getting a appointment with metro PD was the biggest issue.

I have LEOSA creds otherwise I'd get one.

One does not go to DC without a gun or two etc.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 9:32:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A friends dad has one. He said getting a appointment with metro PD was the biggest issue.

I have LEOSA creds otherwise I'd get one.

One does not go to DC with a gun or two etc.
View Quote

I am planning to take the class through NOVA Armory and their affiliate, District of Columbia Security Associates, the beginning of June and already have an appointment set for the second week of June to go down and turn in the application.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 5:05:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Maryland Small Arms Range does a course that works for DC, MD, and VA. It is cheaper but not as thorough as George Lyons' course.

Your pistol does not have to be on all 3 lists (CA, MD and MA). Metro PD website says:

"The regulations will establish a District Roster of Handguns Not Determined to be Unsafe that will include the California list and handguns that are on the safe gun rosters of Maryland and Massachusetts. These regulations will allow for handguns with superficial differences from handguns on the roster – such as color or grip material – to be registered. The regulations will also allow for handguns that are removed from the California list for administrative reasons to remain on the District list."

So the DC "list" is effectively those 3 states' rosters added together. As long as your model is on one of the "not unsafe" lists, they will register it.

Source: https://mpdc.dc.gov/page/firearms-eligible-registration
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 2:07:04 PM EDT
[#10]
George Lyon is the guy you seek.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 5:57:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Update: took the DC course through Finesse Firearms Training in June. Instructor added MD for an extra $50.

Finally had a chance to go to DC and apply this morning and had my fingerprints done in MD as well. The clerk in DC was very polite and professional. First appointment of the day and I was in and out (including fingerprints) in 30 minutes.

MD said to wait 24 hours after fingerprints to apply, so I’ll submit this weekend.

Now we wait.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 6:31:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Update: took the DC course through Finesse Firearms Training in June. Instructor added MD for an extra $50.

Finally had a chance to go to DC and apply this morning and had my fingerprints done in MD as well. The clerk in DC was very polite and professional. First appointment of the day and I was in and out (including fingerprints) in 30 minutes.

MD said to wait 24 hours after fingerprints to apply, so I’ll submit this weekend.

Now we wait.
View Quote

Thanks for the update.  Where did you get fingerprinting done for MD?
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks for the update.  Where did you get fingerprinting done for MD?
View Quote

They have a Live Scan location in Glen Burnie. Paid online, then called for an appointment. Appointments are about two weeks out.

The Empire Towers Building
7310 Ritchie Hwy. Suite 610
Glen Burnie, MD 21061-3296
Telephone: (410) 761-6700
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 8:33:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Now we wait.
View Quote

You got lucky -- some of the people down there are so unpleasant and so unhelpful.  I thought a family member and I were going to get thrown out because we dared to ask a question while dropping off the CCW applications.

Make sure you only have 10 round magazines (or less depending on what you're carrying) when you're in DC and only enough rounds to reload your weapon 1x -- max of 20 rounds.  If you have a 6 round revolver then only 12 rounds, 8 round 1911 then only 16 rounds.

They are slow-walking everything down there so expect to get your permit emailed to you around day 90.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You got lucky -- some of the people down there are so unpleasant and so unhelpful.  I thought a family member and I were going to get thrown out because we dared to ask a question while dropping off the CCW applications.

Make sure you only have 10 round magazines (or less depending on what you're carrying) when you're in DC and only enough rounds to reload your weapon 1x -- max of 20 rounds.  If you have a 6 round revolver then only 12 rounds, 8 round 1911 then only 16 rounds.

They are slow-walking everything down there so expect to get your permit emailed to you around day 90.
View Quote

I’m sure it’ll be right at day 90. Oh well. Yeah, I’m good on magazine capacity and ammo limits. Went and bought a P365 mainly for DC. Figured if I’m going to be limited in rounds, might as well get something as small as I can that I’m comfortable with. Pretty cool gun with the Wilson Combat grip module.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 2:58:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I’m sure it’ll be right at day 90. Oh well. Yeah, I’m good on magazine capacity and ammo limits. Went and bought a P365 mainly for DC. Figured if I’m going to be limited in rounds, might as well get something as small as I can that I’m comfortable with. Pretty cool gun with the Wilson Combat grip module.
View Quote

Wilson Combat grip is on my to do list -- hear lots of good things about it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 3:09:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Wilson Combat grip is on my to do list -- hear lots of good things about it.
View Quote

It’s great. I added the tungsten rods as well. I logged into DC’s online renewal page today. It let me start renewing my permit and also allowed me to start the “Cancel Gun Registration” as well. I didn’t take anything past the first step, but the serial numbers for the four pistols I registered are there. Seems like they are processing everything.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 10:43:15 AM EDT
[#18]
So, today makes 90 days. I was told when I applied that I would get an email at the 60 day mark for the handgun registration, but never received anything. Everything is still on the DC vessel/handgun renewal website. I'm guessing the slow-rollers will mail something to me this week or next.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top