Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2022 9:29:34 AM EDT
Background:
Recently renewed, about 2 years ago my concealed carry permit, did it through the mail, lived in Va Beach. We moved from Va Beach to Gloucester County So, I still have about 3 years before the permit requires renewal but i haven't been able to find out how to change the address on my concealed carry permit.  Driver's license and vehicle reg, changed no problem. To be concerned or let it ride?  Never been in a situation required to produce it.
So, what is the procedure?
Thanks,
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 9:52:10 AM EDT
[#1]
If I remember correctly you do not need to get a new one. When it expires just renew it in your new county. The only reason I do it is if it doesn’t match your address on your DL, some gun shops won’t allow it as a valid ID.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Straight from the state code. Your question is answered by sub-section A.

18.2-308.011. Replacement permits.

A. The clerk of a circuit court that issued a valid concealed handgun permit shall, upon presentation by the permit holder of the valid permit and written notice of a change of address on a form provided by the Department of State Police, issue a replacement permit specifying the permit holder's new address. The clerk of court shall forward the permit holder's new address of residence to the State Police. The State Police may charge a fee not to exceed $5, and the clerk of court issuing the replacement permit may charge a fee not to exceed $5. The total amount assessed for processing a replacement permit pursuant to this subsection shall not exceed $10, with such fees to be paid in one sum to the person who receives the information for the replacement permit.

B. The clerk of a circuit court that issued a valid concealed handgun permit shall, upon submission of a notarized statement by the permit holder that the permit was lost or destroyed or that the permit holder has undergone a legal name change, issue a replacement permit. The replacement permit shall have the same expiration date as the permit that was lost, destroyed, or issued to the permit holder under a previous name. The clerk shall issue the replacement permit within 10 business days of receiving the notarized statement and may charge a fee not to exceed $5.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 9:52:21 PM EDT
[#3]
For section A, in my situation, my permit was issued in Spotsylvania but I’ve now relocated to Loudon. It looks like I’d have to go to the Spotsy courthouse to get a new permit issued by Spotsylvania with my Loudon address. Or am I misinterpreting the whole “clerk that issued a valid permit” part?
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 5:01:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Rookie,
Thanks for the info, but it's still cloudy.  I can see how Sub Sec A would apply if your address changed within the county you're residing, but, moving to a different county? Wouldn't it have to go through the clerk of the court for your new residence ?  Still digging for info.
Thanks All,
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 7:54:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I moved from Spotsylvania to King George with 3 years left on my permit.  I went to Spotsylvania Court Clerk and they gave me a new permit with my KG address, same expiration date.  When it was time for renewal I did so in King George.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:20:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rookie,
Thanks for the info, but it's still cloudy.  I can see how Sub Sec A would apply if your address changed within the county you're residing, but, moving to a different county? Wouldn't it have to go through the clerk of the court for your new residence ?  Still digging for info.
Thanks All,
View Quote

1greenthumb,

I don't see anything in the code section stating you have to request the change of address in person, it just mentions it has to be in writing with a state form.
I would say call the circuit court clerk's office for your old address and ask. I have found the clerks office to be very helpful in permit matters. You might be able to fill out the state form and write a letter stating you moved from A to B and you need a new permit and mail it all in.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:20:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Update,
Thanks everyone, I contacted the Va. Beach, Circuit Court Clerk's Office, surprisingly first off, a human actually answered the phone, and they were very helpful.
Va Beach circuit court has a link on their website with a printable form to be filled out and submitted to them for a change of address, $10.00 fee, copy of DL & Concealed Permit. I will update this thread when the new permit is received.  Hopefully doesn't take too long.
R/
Greg
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:07:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Update,
Thanks everyone, I contacted the Va. Beach, Circuit Court Clerk's Office, surprisingly first off, a human actually answered the phone, and they were very helpful.
Va Beach circuit court has a link on their website with a printable form to be filled out and submitted to them for a change of address, $10.00 fee, copy of DL & Concealed Permit. I will update this thread when the new permit is received.  Hopefully doesn't take too long.
R/
Greg
View Quote

Glad it worked out for you.

Done be surprised by how helpful they are, not all government is jacked up and red tape. My circuit court clerk has her staff send out post cards when you are a month from expiration reminding you to renew your permit. I forgot to renew years ago, before the post cards were done, and my permit lapsed. I called and they said no problem, just come down with a filled out permit application and my expired permit and they would treat it as a renewal.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 8:24:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Final update,
Received in the mail a new Concealed Carry Permit, issued by Va Beach with my new address.  Also, they've finally have caught on, the new permit is credit card style/sized plastic vice the paper version they previously issued.
Thanks all
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Some have moved to the plastic credit card style, others are still doing paper. There is no standard state wide on what the permit is made of.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 2:27:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Some have moved to the plastic credit card style, others are still doing paper. There is no standard state wide on what the permit is made of.
View Quote

I'm in Loudoun, so I have the new plastic card. I liked the paper one better. I would make a copy of the original, then sign & laminate the copy, and carry that.
The original stayed in my gun safe in case I lost the copy.
Can't do that anymore.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm in Loudoun, so I have the new plastic card. I liked the paper one better. I would make a copy of the original, then sign & laminate the copy, and carry that.
Can't do that anymore.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't do that anymore.

We still have the paper and I think I would like the plastic credit card style better. I have never had to replace my permit so I am not worried about copiers. I would think the plastic credit card style would be more robust then the paper ones. Heck, if they put our picture on it, we might get the GA to change the statue stating we had to have a govt. photo id on hand when carrying.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 8:28:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Having had both paper and hard card style permits. I much prefer a hard card.

But here in NK. I just cut up an old baseball card holder and put the permit in there. The permits have survived in my wallet the last decade.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 12:24:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Confirm on the Loudoun hard plastic card.. By accident, I used that ID on a beer purchase. The teenage kid checking my ID flinched a little. Kind of funny.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top