Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2021 9:23:15 PM EDT
Seriously considering the breed for my next dog. Looking to meet a few before I go looking for a breeder. Anyone around the Shenandoah Valley have one I can meet?
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm outside warrenton if that's close to you.  They are awesome dogs. This my second one.  Smart as shit and loyal to the death.  One owner dogs.  They will bond with the alpha in your family or your wife.  Highly recommend, but only if you are active.....daily walks, a fenced yard to throw the ball or Frisbee in etc....  they have high energy and need a job.  Not crazy high but high.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 9:07:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm outside warrenton if that's close to you.  They are awesome dogs. This my second one.  Smart as shit and loyal to the death.  One owner dogs.  They will bond with the alpha in your family or your wife.  Highly recommend, but only if you are active.....daily walks, a fenced yard to throw the ball or Frisbee in etc....  they have high energy and need a job.  Not crazy high but high.
View Quote

Warrenton isn't too far for me. I lost a husky and malamute not too long ago to old age. Walks twice a day. I have a small horse farm. I'm used to the shedding and strong willed dogs. Looking for a dog that wants to hop in the truck and go with me. Wants to go out on trail rides with the horses. And maybe go gets the horses when they decide to be at the other end of the property.

I'm not super active but I was able to keep the huskies happy. I did alot of regular training with them especially early on. Malamutes are high on my list for their personality. I'm a 2 dog home so everyone has a buddy.

Anyway I'd like to meet one or two heelers before I consider looking for a pup. I realize with their temperament I may not receive a warm welcome for a stranger. But I'll still gain insight into the breed past what can be seen in youtube videos.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:24:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Warrenton isn't too far for me. I lost a husky and malamute not too long ago to old age. Walks twice a day. I have a small horse farm. I'm used to the shedding and strong willed dogs. Looking for a dog that wants to hop in the truck and go with me. Wants to go out on trail rides with the horses. And maybe go gets the horses when they decide to be at the other end of the property.

I'm not super active but I was able to keep the huskies happy. I did alot of regular training with them especially early on. Malamutes are high on my list for their personality. I'm a 2 dog home so everyone has a buddy.

Anyway I'd like to meet one or two heelers before I consider looking for a pup. I realize with their temperament I may not receive a warm welcome for a stranger. But I'll still gain insight into the breed past what can be seen in youtube videos.
View Quote

Little late to the party here,  you have probably found a dog by now.

I have 2 heeler mixes.  One looks pure heeler (female) the other is half healer and half beagle (male).

Mine wouldn't give you a good idea of what healer puppies are like, they are 15-16 years old.

They are velcro dogs with their owner, love to be close to you.   They are a herding dog and as already stated need a job to do.  They are very tough and don't feel pain.

My female that looks like a pure heeler, when she was 4 months old I took her to a friends farm, friend has some horses, among them a white Arabian stallion.  The Arabian got tired of my girl trying to herd him so he gave her a kick and sent her flying.  She hit the ground, yelped once then ran around in front of the Arabian, jumped up and nipped him on the nose to show him who is boss.  And ever since that day if she meets a dog that is bigger than her and white the fight is on.  My youngest daughter had a long board skateboard and the female would pull her for a couple miles.

The male is the most athletic dog I have ever seen, at least in his younger days.  He would jump up on the 6' high privacy fence and chase squirrels along the top of it.  Had a possum on the back fence late one night and he was just jumping over the fence from our yard to the neighbors barking at the possum.  No run, just a standing jump, clear the 6' fence over to the other side, hit the ground and bound back over.  He is so old now he can barely walk, will be time to put him down soon.

They are a great breed of dog if  you can handle them.  With husky and malmute experience I would say you are fine.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:27:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for your input. I question if I should be getting one. But I have found a breeder with puppies and have my name on the list but haven't picked one up. I have had a few chance meetings seeing them out in public but not able to spend any time with them. I am on the hunt for a malamute as well. Having an empty house is getting to me.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 6:09:50 AM EDT
[#5]

I love my heeler, he loves to do all the things you mentioned OP. He is out on the farm with me all the time but he also knows how to chill when it’s necessary. Yes I said he, the pink collar was when my daughter was born and for a bit after.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 1:06:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I am still on the hunt for one. I had a breeder I was communicating with who was having a litter but I haven't heard from them since the pups were supposedly born 2 months ago.

Also looking for a malamute as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top