Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2021 5:49:17 PM EDT
How does one file for unemployment in VA due to being released due to the vax requirement?  I will be terminated, not leave on my own.  (Not yet fired, lining up my ducks and to dos)

Has anyone here filed for unemployment in the state?

How does getting 2 turn downs a week work?  
Also going from a 6 figure .gov job to what, a cashier, stock boy????

IM or email me if you want.

[email protected]

TIA
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a county link but references state.   Stockboys make more.  

https://www.loudoun.gov/2385/Filing-an-Unemployment-Benefits-Claim
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 12:43:44 PM EDT
[#2]
If an employer terminates you because you don’t follow its policies, it has “cause” to fire you. And if you’re fired “for cause,” you may be ineligible to claim unemployment benefits.

Of course your mileage may vary. I'd do a crap ton of research before taking this path and expecting unemployment benefits.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 11:12:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
How does one file for unemployment in VA due to being released due to the vax requirement?  I will be terminated, not leave on my own.  (Not yet fired, lining up my ducks and to dos)

[email protected]

TIA
View Quote
I can't help with your question since I'm relatively new to the state and have thankfully never dealt with filing for unemployment, but just wanted to say I'm sorry you may be forced into this decision due to the sheer stupidity of our so-called "leaders" and "public health experts". My SO is a teacher in Stafford County and I'm wondering how long it will be before she's forced into a similar decision, which in our case will be the same as the one you're apparently making.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 9:35:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I think it is very noble of you that you make a last stand. However, my advice is that you should seek an exemption from the government if you want to stay on. Can you file an exemption at your current workplace?

Are you a civilian worker or a contractor? I don't think as a contractor you have much choice in exemption. The funny part is when I was working as a contractor last year, I asked the government about it and they said unless the vaccine is in the contract, they can't enforce any sort of mandates or vaccine. It seems like now they didn't do that. I wonder if there is a plausible lawsuit? Because the government could say the vaccine isn't a mandate of the contract but part of the entrance to the base or area you're working in.

Either way I would first try the exemption route. Then, unfortunately I don't think you're going to get unemployment if you were fired with cause. As the other poster said it is within the unemployment requirements that you be let go of through no fault of yours. By refusing the vaccine, that could get you. That's why I think the exemption route is important. You have document proof that you tried to file an exemption and you can go to the unemployment office and the employer would have to state that you tried to get an exemption and they refused and still let you go. That might entitle you for unemployment because you could say that the exemption was for valid reasons.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 11:08:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks.  I am working on a medical exemption but planning for all outcomes.  Even if I get the note from the doc based on my medical condition, work still may not accept it.  I am a federal fulltime employee within DHS.

What really sucks is that I only have 2 more years until I hit my 30 years in gov service mark. And I am to young to retire.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 1:59:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks.  I am working on a medical exemption but planning for all outcomes.  Even if I get the note from the doc based on my medical condition, work still may not accept it.  I am a federal fulltime employee within DHS.

What really sucks is that I only have 2 more years until I hit my 30 years in gov service mark. And I am to young to retire.
View Quote

Hopefully it will work out for you. I am thinking if you're able to provide all the necessary documents, they're going to exempt you. If not, I think you'd have a major case against them especially if your medical condition is true and you have ample proof.

My thought is if you do get fired, at least see a lawyer before just writing it off or looking at workers comp. There's a good chance if you have a legit medical condition and the vaccine is a no go and you have proof that piror to this you checked with your doctors that getting the vaccine is a bad idea, then you're going to have a very solid case against them for wrongful termination.

Also I feel like this vaccine mandate is a serious violation of the 4th amendment since the workplace cannot force you to turn over documentation and they cannot force you to perform actions that has nothing to do with your job unless you signed some sort of contract that obligates you to do such a thing such as get vaccine. I know the military has a vaccine requirement but I do not think that same is for civilians or contractors but that is what a lawyer is good for.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 4:48:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

[email protected]

TIA
View Quote

I am in the same boat. I make 6 figures, and enjoy my job. But I refuse to inject myself with an experimental drug for the sake of complying with the gov. I might possibly get fired within a month. Praying for you and good luck. God has a plan for us...
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I am in the same boat. I make 6 figures, and enjoy my job. But I refuse to inject myself with an experimental drug for the sake of complying with the gov. I might possibly get fired within a month. Praying for you and good luck. God has a plan for us...
View Quote

God has a plan.  I will let it fall where it falls in his hands.  As for now, plan is to document and hold out until fired.  They already relieved me of my direct duties for not being vaxxed.  Telework and no contact, hard to do when directly support with driving and travel.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 6:10:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Hopefully it will work out for you. I am thinking if you're able to provide all the necessary documents, they're going to exempt you. If not, I think you'd have a major case against them especially if your medical condition is true and you have ample proof.

My thought is if you do get fired, at least see a lawyer before just writing it off or looking at workers comp. There's a good chance if you have a legit medical condition and the vaccine is a no go and you have proof that piror to this you checked with your doctors that getting the vaccine is a bad idea, then you're going to have a very solid case against them for wrongful termination.

Also I feel like this vaccine mandate is a serious violation of the 4th amendment since the workplace cannot force you to turn over documentation and they cannot force you to perform actions that has nothing to do with your job unless you signed some sort of contract that obligates you to do such a thing such as get vaccine. I know the military has a vaccine requirement but I do not think that same is for civilians or contractors but that is what a lawyer is good for.
View Quote

Doc visit is scheduled for Nov 10th, soonest I can see him.  Still waiting on a copy of my medical records fron St. Louis.  I can't find my copy that I kept.

Waiting game at this point.

Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:31:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Have you talked to a lawyer?

It seems that it is an illegal mandate. I don’t think potato has the authority to tell OSHA to violate their scope or to require anyone outside of the military to take any shots.  Partcuarly shots that have demonstrable hazards and have proven to be of little to no benefit.  

Just my opinion, but at some point it will get tested by a lawyer I would think.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

[email protected]

TIA
View Quote

Sort of a PITA.

You have to demonstrate you are clearly seeking  a new job.
Usually by sending resumes out, or even interviewing.

If you are into 6 figures  you cannot go on BS interviews or you will get a less than
great reputation for wasting time.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 8:57:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I wrote a long response, and my wife told me to stay out of this.  So I deleted it.  

I will wish you the best of luck.  My honest opinion and answer is you will be deemed to have been fired for cause for failing to comply with company policy and be ineligible for unemployment

That’s as far as I’m going.  The only reason I went that far is because I want you to Have realistic expectations and to be prepared.  Again, I wish you the best, and regret you’re having to go through this
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top