Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2021 10:50:19 PM EDT
Show is this weekend.  Never been but need to get out of the house. How many ammo vendors are normally there?  Not expecting any deals, just trying to save on shipping..
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 5:00:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Since nobody has answered you, I’ll throw some out dated info out.

This show is listed at the fair grounds. Of the two spots they have shows in prince William, this one is usually the better of the two. It is still fairly small compared to the expo center. People have reported finding good deals on items there before. Personally I don’t think I’ve ever bought anything at this show but for perspective, I go to just about every expo show ( pre covid ) and maybe buy something there 1 out of 5 shows.

As far as ammo, I do not recall seeing any of the larger bulk dealers there. There are usually a few people selling boxes of ammo and they may have a couple of boxes of what you want. Again, some people have posted here at finding good deals on random one or two boxes. This was pre Covid.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 5:09:56 PM EDT
[#2]
And just to add about shipping. Pre Covid, I found most bulk ammo prices at the expo show to be higher than on line prices. Once you added shipping to the on line prices, it was about the same price as what I saw at the shows. If you looked at the show for somebody doing a cash price deal and not adding taxes to their listed price, you good find better price than on line. On the other hand, if you waited for a free shipping deal, and had a dealer not adding state taxes (yes there are still a few not doing it), on line prices were by far cheaper than the shows.

Again, this was pre Covid and I’ve not really looked at ammo prices nor been to a show since the world went crazy.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:03:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Using it as an excuse to get out of the house. Need to find some 308.  I'm new to the caliber, thought I'd like to see and touch it a few times before doing online.  

I've read a couple of articles on whats described as small differences  in the case  between 308 and NATO 7.62. Hoping to get a couple of boxes of 308 to start  and compare it against NATO rounds if somebody has it.  

The breech and barrel can handle the higher pressure, so it's more of a case size thing.. Still reading up on it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:06:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Using it as an excuse to get out of the house. Need to find some 308.  I'm new to the caliber, thought I'd like to see and touch it a few times before doing online.  

I've read a couple of articles on whats described as small differences  in the case  between 308 and NATO 7.62. Hoping to get a couple of boxes of 308 to start  and compare it against NATO rounds if somebody has it.  

The chamber and barrel can handle the higher pressure, so it's more of a case size thing.. Still reading up on it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:11:12 PM EDT
[#5]
You should be able to find a few boxes of  308 there without issue.

Cabelas actually had a decent selection of different 308 rounds last week. A few different hunting rounds to range type stuff.

As far as the difference goes between 7.62x51 and 308, unless you are reloading or using an old rifle, I wouldn’t even give it a thought. I doubt you would even be able to tell the difference between the two cases by look or feel only.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:11:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Now I'm reading 308 is higher pressure.  Opposite of 223 vs 5.56..
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:13:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Also, just as some place to go to get out of the house, it’s worth it in my opinion. But that’s why I still go to gun shows.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah.  It's the opposite of what I was thinking, based on 223 vs 5.56

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/10/7-62-nato-vs-308-winchester-ammo-whats-the-difference/#axzz76lq0fvMI
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Now I'm reading 308 is higher pressure.  Opposite of 223 vs 5.56..
View Quote

From my understanding….a 308 rifle can handle 7.62x51 rounds without concern. Most modern rifles are chambered in 308, except for maybe a few made for military. Something like a SCAR or maybe something from knights but I have no idea, just putting that possibility out there.

An older rifle chambered for 7.62x51 ( talking old) may or may not be able to handle 308 from everything I’ve read and been told. Been told to error in the side on caution for these types of rifles and only use 7.62.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:49:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Guy at the last Chantilly show had Privi NATO 7.62 at around 75-80 cents a round for 500.  Thought I read it wrong, but the math worked out.  Should have grabbed it but didn't have the rifle yet.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 9:29:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I read the link you posted and I got curious. So I pulled 2 rounds each of 3 different 308 and 3 different 7.62x51. The 308 ranges from cheap PMC range ammo, high end Winchester hunting rounds, and then some precession rounds. The 7.62 ranged modern made M1A, federal 7.62 white box, and then some military surplus I have, head stamp AMA 81.

I dropped all twelve rounds randomly, as possible,  into a Wilson cartridge case gage for 308. All measured the same. I then used calibers to measure the over all round length. Part of me feels like it doesn’t matter as the bullet type could throw this off. However, all the rounds were less than 1 mm from each but for the M1A rounds which measured 1 mm longer than the rest.

Lining them all up, visually, two of the round types had a little bit longer case neck than the others. These two were the 7.62 AMA and the 7.62 federal white box. Both of these types have the NATO case stamp while the M1A ammo cases looked the same as the 308 rounds.

Just a very unscientific comparison of a few different rounds I have. I have other 7.62 but wasn’t digging them all out.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 12:32:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Casual observation can be best.. What's the rule for science? Something about 97% of scientist agree with who's funding them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 12:24:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Specs for a nato chamber and 308 are different.  

In practice there is no issue in treating them the same with the exception that rifles like a 308 Garand may get the op rod damaged by some 308 loads.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#14]
The gun show description was spot on.  Manassas traffic sucks. Been a while since I've been through there.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 5:16:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone go to the show today? If so please give us a report.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 6:22:19 PM EDT
[#16]
First time for me.  Ammo dealers had the common calibers.  Not any bulk except for 9mm they were dumping out of the 50 ct boxes into plastic ammo cans.  Not many pistols Leaned more towards rifles.  Nothing I would consider a deal.  No beef jerky. Lady selling holsters had a nice  body. I dont think she liked me..
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 10:59:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:No beef jerky.
View Quote

This is crap.  Next you're going to tell me there were no pickles, no handbags and no jewelry.  What the hell is the point of a gun show?  Please at least tell me there was a taser dealer demonstrating the zapping sound every five minutes.  At least then I can consider parting with my hard earned dollars to go.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 11:50:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I heard, nor saw any tasers. I left the show with an empty feeling.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 8:14:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I went this afternoon. Probably the worst show I’ve been to at this location.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top