Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2021 1:44:37 PM EDT
I looked but couldn't find a thread on this...almost positive there was one on here a while back.

Couple questions about window tint…wife would like to have her new Subaru done, we’re in Winchester and looking for a place that does a good job and driving an hour (give or take) is OK.  Also how dark can we go and “if” we go darker how much hassle will she catch?  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I do not recall what the percentage is for the front or back. Tint shops should be able to tell you this. But I can give you the idea of hassles she may run into. Some state inspection locations care and some don’t. Some will overlook dark tint while other locations will fail your inspection for too dark of tint. Window tint is no longer a primary offense in VA and the police can no longer stop you for it. However, if you get stopped for speeding, the police can then also give a window tint ticket. Some cops care less than others.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 6:39:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is a link to the complete section of the law:

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title46.2/chapter10/section46.2-1052/

Here are the passages that seem to be the most important (although I would suggest reading the entire law):

1. No sun-shading or tinting films may be applied or affixed to the rear side windows or rear window or windows of any motor vehicle operated on the highways of the Commonwealth that reduce the total light transmittance of such window to less than 35 percent;

2. No sun-shading or tinting films may be applied or affixed to the front side windows of any motor vehicle operated on the highways of the Commonwealth that reduce total light transmittance of such window to less than 50 percent;

So you can basically go to 35% for rear, or rear side windows.  No less than 50% for driver and passenger windows..... Unless your vehicle is considered a 'multipurpose passenger vehicle or pickup truck'... then this section lets you go darker (lower percentage) on the rear and rear side windows:

H. Nothing in this section shall prohibit applying to the rear side windows or rear window of any multipurpose passenger vehicle or pickup truck sun-shading or tinting films that reduce the total light transmittance of such window or windows below 35 percent.

Hope that helps.

Link Posted: 6/10/2021 8:11:47 AM EDT
[#3]
That helps thanks.  Good to hear you cannot be pulled over for it.  As mentioned we’re in Winchester and I don’t think we would have an issue with inspections, but you never know.  Thanks again
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 10:32:14 AM EDT
[#4]
There are several places in Harrisonburg that do good work. I have darker than legal on everything and never been hassled during an inspection or stopped.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top