Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2021 7:31:23 AM EDT
Now I want to start off with, I have been there many times over the years but this is my wife and I's 10 year anniversary, so I would love to hear some of the ideas you locals might have.

Attractions, fun stuff whatever. Won't be shooting while I'm there (at least I pray I won't since I'm just CCing)

In particular, I was wondering about restaurants. I went to Captain Georges when I was a kid and remember liking it, and my wife wants to try crab and crablegs for the first time, and I know that they have that and other stuff if she doesn't like it. However its 40 a person and I want to make sure it's still a good place to eat at. Gonna go back to Doughboy's one night for sure, since we went there together not long after meeting.

So what would you locals recommend. Don't mind driving some too.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 3:50:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Not to sound like a smart ass but, have you considered somewhere else less shitty?

OBX are just another 90 miles down the road and much better. And I say that as someone who is tired and bored of the OBX.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#2]
For SA, might want to check out The Daily Pravda online for the latest weekend news....seems VB is quite the vibrant place...between 64/264 racin/wrecks, and  those who want to share their enthusiasm with shopkeepers and others...might want to be well aware what "vacation experience" you might find.  Just sayin...
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:50:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For SA, might want to check out The Daily Pravda online for the latest weekend news....seems VB is quite the vibrant place...between 64/264 racin/wrecks, and  those who want to share their enthusiasm with shopkeepers and others...might want to be well aware what "vacation experience" you might find.  Just sayin...
View Quote

Ya that whole "mass shooting" last week was right near where were staying
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 7:57:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Why not go to nags head instead? It's only a few extra hour drive
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#5]
iFly is one hell of a good time.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 10:43:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I should be clear, I'm leaving tomorrow so changing location isn't gonna happen lol
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 11:25:08 PM EDT
[#7]
As a VB resident, please eat at better places.

Download Yelp. Use it.  If you want pizza, go to pizza chapel. Fancy anniversary dinner? Steinhilbers, heirloom, butchers son, etc.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 3:49:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Download Yelp. Use it.  If you want pizza, go to pizza chapel. Fancy anniversary dinner? Steinhilbers, heirloom, butchers son, etc.
View Quote

Exactly the responses I was hoping for, thanks.

I mostly want to go back to doughboy's because we went there 10 years ago, on our first vacation together. I remember it being pretty good but it's been a long time.

I take it the idea of Captain Georges was a bad one? Anything similar to that, where she could try crab/crab legs?
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 5:22:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
No longer a VB local, but did 6 years there.

+1 for Steinhilber's.  It's quite good.

Also hit Surfrider's if you want the best crab cakes ever.  No filler to be found.  The one on the oceanfront is a bit better than the Lynnhaven Drive location.

Link Posted: 4/6/2021 7:00:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Hit up Bay Local for brunch. Though with the weather super nice this weekend be prepared to wait as it’s very popular.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:31:59 AM EDT
[#11]
The Military Aviation Museum is cool.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 6:43:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ya that whole "mass shooting" last week was right near where were staying
View Quote

The "mass" shooting was some rival gangs shooting at each other.  1 lady got killed by a stray bullet and 1 person was killed by Beach police about 2 blocks away.

The ocean front can get interesting after dark settles in.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 12:53:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Find a Kroger or Harris teeter and have them season and steam 2lbs of shrimp and 2 lbs of crablegs.  Eat it with some clarified butter and save yourself some money.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:27:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Go to Cape Charles way better than shitty Virginia Beach
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:48:47 PM EDT
[#15]
It seems like if you stay above 34th it's not bad, below that gets kinda trashy.

Pelons is awesome: https://pelonsbajagrill.com/

Also like Aloha Snacks: https://alohasnacksvb.com/

Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:48:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just wanted to thank you for some great recommendations, we went to both Pizza Chapel and Bay Local and those were amazing.

However I will admit, we went to Captain Georges and lets just say I can't see myself ever going back. For the 125 we spent on two people, we could have had a better meal.

It wasn't bad per say but the reality is its still a buffet, and we can never seem to get our moneys worth.

Otherwise we had a great trip, did everything we wanted to and had a blast.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top